PDA

View Full Version : Gardening Question

Gewehr-Guy
05-10-2020, 01:08 PM
How many days in a row can I keep my tomatoes and peppers covered up with 5 gallon buckets. It's been freezing for 2 nights and 3 more to go, and 35 mph wind today and I got dirt around the bottom of the buckets so they don't blow away. Will a couple more days of darkness kill them?

Beerd
05-10-2020, 01:09 PM
Plastic buckets? What color?

Gewehr-Guy
05-10-2020, 02:19 PM
Some are black oil buckets, some white. Also a few colored plastic totes.

Gofaaast
05-10-2020, 02:28 PM
I feel you will be fine for a few days. I would get the buckets off though when it is above freezing but the wind your dealing with would present a challenge. Check the condition of the plants under each color of bucket and decide from there.

bmortell
05-10-2020, 07:08 PM
I put out a few tomatoes early because I had extra started. then the cold front in the northeast came so I put clear plastic jars over them with some rocks around the base and on top hoping to act like a heat sink. it got down to 24 I think and they are very dead now lol. lettuce, peas, radishes, carrots, beets, spinach, and kale all did fine with nothing however. the container over tomatoes worked when it was about 28 it made it those nights but they were clear. cant you just put buckets around the plants in the day to block wind then over them at night to block cold?