PDA

View Full Version : Getting Old stinks

cabezaverde
05-10-2020, 11:04 AM
I have been watching the cast bullet boards classifieds for years for a particular mold I wanted to try. It’s kinda rare.

Yesterday I was going through some stuff and I’ll be darned. I already have one.

No idea when, where, or how I acquired it. Didn’t even remember I had it.

Rgmcfarland
05-10-2020, 11:47 AM
CRS

Can’t remember ****

It is contagious, I now have a written inventory of my reloading equipment and supplies courtesy of my wife. I am certain it saves us a lot of money.

sundog
05-10-2020, 11:54 AM
CRS

Can’t remember ****

It is contagious, I now have a written inventory of my reloading equipment and supplies courtesy of my wife. I am certain it saves us a lot of money.

Do you remember where you put it? :shock:

WILCO
05-10-2020, 12:03 PM
Yup. Hang tough. Write yourself notes.

Shawlerbrook
05-10-2020, 12:03 PM
Yes, I have duplicates of a few things I either forgot I had or couldn’t find. Getting old does stink, but it beats the alternative.

MrWolf
05-10-2020, 12:05 PM
Found the gift huh? You are not alone as I have to even write down why I go into rooms sometimes.

Buzz Krumhunger
05-10-2020, 12:08 PM
I have 3 sets of .218 Bee dies. Evidently I was worried about not having any.

I don't even have a Bee anymore. :-|

Scrounge
05-10-2020, 12:09 PM
Yes, I have duplicates of a few things I either forgot I had or couldn’t find. Getting old does stink, but it beats the alternative.

Amen, Brother!

I'm not exactly young, and not exactly old, but I'm old enough to have lost friends who are a great deal younger than I am. I've started keeping spreadsheets with lists of stuff I have, and I also use a app called Google Keep on my android devices. You can keep lists with photographs in it. All my mold are there, and soon the dies will be. Collets for the different types I have. Change gears listed for both of the lathes that use them, as well. Been going though and dumping the stuff for work, since I no longer need that, but not being compulsive about it. ;)

Beerd
05-10-2020, 01:11 PM
funny

Harter66
05-10-2020, 02:13 PM
You're telling the guy with 9 cartridges of die sets for cartridges , some so obscure the Huntington's haven't sold a set in 35 years , others make great neck dies for an almost unrelated cartridge . Who needs 4 sets of 45 Colts , 3 sets of 06' and 257 Roberts and exactly how many 6.5-257 AIs do you suppose are actually around .

I don't actually have any duplicate moulds but I do have a number variations on a type like 4 different 38/357 Lyman SWCs .

Winger Ed.
05-10-2020, 02:52 PM
CRS

Sometimes I have flare ups of CRS so bad, I'm like a duck and wake up in a new world every day.

Scrounge
05-10-2020, 02:57 PM
Sometimes I have flare ups of CRS so bad, I'm like a duck and wake up in a new world every day.

There are advantages: You can wake up and meet new friends everyday, too! ;)

Bill <--- has had CRS since he was a wee tyke.

Les Staley
05-10-2020, 03:33 PM
Read this post to my wife, and she laughed! She said I better quit. Too many "old" guys on here..

I find something that works well.. On a sleepless night, a solution to one of my "problems" comes to me like a vision from above. I get up, put on my glasses and go out into the kitchen and write it on a little notebook, cause I will absolutely forget it by morning.

Scrounge
05-10-2020, 03:36 PM
Read this post to my wife, and she laughed! She said I better quit. Too many "old" guys on here..

Old guys can still be fun. Especially if they all have CRS! ;)

garandsrus
05-10-2020, 03:41 PM
Make sure you put it in a safe place so you can lose and rediscover it in a few years!

Finster101
05-10-2020, 03:53 PM
Getting old does stink, but the alternative is not that attractive either.

Parson
05-10-2020, 04:17 PM
Several years ago woke up way too early but couldn’t go back to sleep, what should I do as I can’t just lay in bed. Thought about and thought “ I haven’t updated my gun inventory for some” fired up the computer, started going through it and found several I couldn’t remember even having ( can’t remember the number something more than fifty but less than a hundred). In the morning told my wife when I don’t even know what I have, I have too many, cut down to about twenty, a little more manageable but the older I get ( bumping up against 79) the harder it is to justify when I haven’t shot some for five years or more. Only one grandson that shoots, he’s gotten a few, need to adopt somebody else’s grand kids

BigAlofPa.
05-10-2020, 04:30 PM
I need to write things down for shopping. Or i will forget to get something. Yes agreed getting old is not fun. But sharing wisdom gained with young ones is rewarding.

Scrounge
05-10-2020, 04:35 PM
Several years ago woke up way too early but couldn’t go back to sleep, what should I do as I can’t just lay in bed. Thought about and thought “ I haven’t updated my gun inventory for some” fired up the computer, started going through it and found several I couldn’t remember even having ( can’t remember the number something more than fifty but less than a hundred). In the morning told my wife when I don’t even know what I have, I have too many, cut down to about twenty, a little more manageable but the older I get ( bumping up against 79) the harder it is to justify when I haven’t shot some for five years or more. Only one grandson that shoots, he’s gotten a few, need to adopt somebody else’s grand kids

You can adopt me!!!! ;)

Scrounge
05-10-2020, 04:37 PM
Getting old does stink, but the alternative is not that attractive either.

You can do what Beethoven and Bach are doing. Decomposing. (stinking pun, I know. I'll throw a fiver in the pun jar, if I can find it.)

Battis
05-10-2020, 04:38 PM
I've decided that a "ripe old age" is 50. After 50, you start to get over ripe, then you're hanging on the branch ready to drop, then you drop and that's when the worms move in.

Winger Ed.
05-10-2020, 04:44 PM
I haven’t updated my gun inventory ///// found several I couldn’t remember even having

This could be a problem:
The family can dig around in there, pull one out and give it to you for a present.
And you wouldn't even know.....

Parson
05-10-2020, 07:02 PM
This could be a problem:
The family can dig around in there, pull one out and give it to you for a present.
And you wouldn't even know.....

Don’t give them any ideas

xs11jack
05-10-2020, 07:54 PM
I tried the make a note business so now I got a pile of notes that I can't member what they mean!! The fartherist I get is going thru the lists and get rid of the duplicates.
Ole Jack 78 on the 24th of this month, I think!!

KYCaster
05-10-2020, 09:50 PM
CRS left untreated will eventually turn into CRAFT.

Mine has advanced to the HEREAFTER Syndrome. If I need a tool or part for something I'm working on, I'll go out to the shop and stand there wondering, "What did I come HEREAFTER?"

Like Red Green says, "Remember, we're all in this together!"
Jerry

2A-Jay
05-10-2020, 09:52 PM
Up to a point Getting Older beats the heck out of the known alternative (a premature dirt nap).

Biggin
05-10-2020, 10:21 PM

Mine has advanced to the HEREAFTER Syndrome. If I need a tool or part for something I'm working on, I'll go out to the shop and stand there wondering, "What did I come HEREAFTER?"

Jerry

I'm only pushing 50 myself but I'm starting to like CRS. Its like Christmas every day. If I order a new mold or die set I've forgotten about it by the time it shows up!

Bad Ass Wallace
05-10-2020, 11:25 PM
On our 45th wedding anniversary my wife says, Do you remember when . . . .?

"Holy cow, if it was before breakfast, probably not!"

facetious
05-11-2020, 01:08 AM
Can spend a half hour looking for the tape measure sitting on the workbench in front of me.

Idaho45guy
05-11-2020, 01:13 AM

Jerry

That's funny right there!

Idaho45guy
05-11-2020, 01:17 AM
I'm only 51, but over a year of working 12hr graveyard shifts have aged me quite a bit.

I was watching some show on TV about couples going to Alaska to survive in the wilderness and I was laughing at their ineptitude and inability to do basic tasks. Then I realized that I haven't done that sort of work for a few years and would probably have a heart attack if I tried it.

One of the couples was in their early 50's and I was thinking no way they could make it, just too old and out of shape. Then realized they were in better shape than me. Sobering.

Land Owner
05-11-2020, 06:08 AM
I am completing some construction in the back yard for the Spousal Unit - a raised vegetable garden with security from the ravaging of birds and squirrels. I "lost" the tape measure and started looking for it. A half hour later, still perplexed, my spouse asked what I was doing? She had a good laugh at my expense in telling me it was on my belt. I deserved that.

I go inside for an additional tool or some nut and bolt from the garage. Going through the kitchen the cat jumps out playfully ("squirrel"). I forget why I went inside and stand there trying to remember, get a drink of water and go back outside. Get to the work face again only to discover I can't continue without the item I forgot to get moments before that I couldn't remember. This happens about four times a day I think, but I don't know for certain...

Nazgul
05-11-2020, 07:02 AM
I know, found some 150 gr FMJ for the M1A on sale. Bought 1500 and thought I did great. Went to slide them out of the way under the loading bench and it wouldn't fit. Turns out there was already an unopened box of 1500 there already!!

Don

dale2242
05-11-2020, 07:37 AM
Sticky notes are an old mans best friend.
I don`t think I will live long enough to inventory my gun/loading stuff.

smithnframe
05-11-2020, 07:54 AM
What was the mould?

gwpercle
05-11-2020, 09:32 AM

Makes watching your favorite movies fun ... I tell wife "I'm watching The Creature From the Black Lagoon " wife says you've seen it a hundred times .... ...." That's true ... But I don't remember how it ends ! " ... So I watch it like I a new movie ! I wont spoil it for you !
Gary

Mr_Sheesh
05-11-2020, 11:20 AM
I keep all my notes on my computers (Mainly one, backed up to others though.)

Now if the dang notes would just all get into the 'Done' category as fast as the new one in 'Do' pop up... LOL

facetious
05-11-2020, 12:31 PM
The wife and I like to play a game called " have we seen this show aready?"

cabezaverde
05-11-2020, 12:56 PM
454424 hollow point

Finster101
05-11-2020, 03:47 PM
I keep all my notes on my computers (Mainly one, backed up to others though.)

Now if the dang notes would just all get into the 'Done' category as fast as the new one in 'Do' pop up... LOL

I think most of us in this thread are old enough that we are still analog on our notes. :smile:

Scrounge
05-11-2020, 04:02 PM
I know, found some 150 gr FMJ for the M1A on sale. Bought 1500 and thought I did great. Went to slide them out of the way under the loading bench and it wouldn't fit. Turns out there was already an unopened box of 1500 there already!!

Don

Don, I'm a newbie here, but from what I understand, you're not even supposed to admit you've ever used those things here! Better hide them... Oh, you did. ;)

fcvan
05-11-2020, 04:50 PM
I have duplicates of a lot of molds, dies, melting pots, all on purpose as I have houses in CA and CO. Then another set of 357 SIG arrives I don't remember ordering. I thought maybe I bought them because my neighbor shoots the 357. I told him 'I got a set of dies' and he says 'I told you I sold that.' I CR the S I can't remember. Double dose of CRS on that one.

Drm50
05-13-2020, 08:15 AM
I’m a few months short of 70 but when I have to keep track of my stuff on a computer it’s time to quit. In last 5 years I’ve cut collection down from 386 to 132 and I can name them all. When I reach the point I don’t know what I have it’s time to sell out. That’s when I’ll fire up the computer and put them up for sale.

yeahbub
05-13-2020, 12:57 PM
I've gotten a few old stinks over the years. I usually manage to get rid of them with a good scrubbing or two. Good toothpaste and some mouthwash helps too. . . . .

starbits
05-13-2020, 03:56 PM
Wife called down stairs to remind her she was coming down for toilet paper, she had forgotten the last two times she came down stairs. As she headed back up with the TP I asked her if she had remembered the paper towels. CRS can be fun if it is not you.

jsizemore
05-13-2020, 04:37 PM
I have been watching the cast bullet boards classifieds for years for a particular mold I wanted to try. It’s kinda rare.

Yesterday I was going through some stuff and I’ll be darned. I already have one.

No idea when, where, or how I acquired it. Didn’t even remember I had it.

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday.

Next Easter you can hide your own eggs. Congrats

samari46
05-14-2020, 12:26 AM
Good old CRS I know it well. Inventoried all my firearms,power tools and tractor with bushog and riding lawn mower. Went in the shed from H**l as my wife calls it and cleaned it out. Found an old chainsaw I didn't even know I had. Going in the garage is like Christmas day. Was looking for a 6" c-clamp and found 4 Jorgeson pony clamps that fit on 3/4" pipe. Found an old machete and a cane knife. Cleaned the rust off and sharpened them. Frank

robg
05-14-2020, 01:35 PM
i can remember what i have its just i cant remember where i put it.

Petander
05-14-2020, 05:41 PM

Haha I read it to my wife,too. Because exactly the same thing as OP posted has happened to me with a certain 45 ACP SWC mold.

I think I remember where I put it...

Reverend Al
05-14-2020, 05:50 PM
LOL ... basically did the same thing myself. For quite a while I was watching for a .310" round ball mould for a muzzle-loader that I bought for my wife to shoot. Was digging through my moulds one day looking for something else and found that I already had one! I've been meaning to do an inventory of my moulds ... and sizer dies ... and top punches ... for ages, but just keep procrastinating about it. Guess that is a sign of advancing age too!

:roll:

Conditor22
05-15-2020, 02:13 PM
the older we get the better we need to organize/label things

Scrounge
05-15-2020, 02:20 PM
I think most of us in this thread are old enough that we are still analog on our notes. :smile:

I'll be 65 next week. I went digital a long time ago, because that was the only way to keep myself out of jail. Started with a Casio DataBank watch. You could set alarms and calender dates with alarms. I was active-duty and had to cut back on my coke consumption to stay off the fat-boy program. I was doing a case a day, at 150 calories a can. OK, Coke, not coke! ;) Bought one of the organizer gadgets, when they came out. Then some years later, a Pocket PC. Then a cell phone. The rest is history! Paper calendars didn't work for me. I lost them. I forgot them. I didn't get them updated because I couldn't keep them on my person. Dayminders, and such just didn't work for me. It was go digital or go to jail, so there we are.

Scrounge
05-15-2020, 02:28 PM
I’m a few months short of 70 but when I have to keep track of my stuff on a computer it’s time to quit. In last 5 years I’ve cut collection down from 386 to 132 and I can name them all. When I reach the point I don’t know what I have it’s time to sell out. That’s when I’ll fire up the computer and put them up for sale.

I'm not smart enough, and way too stubborn to quit. At the moment, my "collection" is 7 firearms, two swords, and a couple of boxes of old battered and incomplete pocketknives. Should be getting a couple of rifles today, as projects. Make that 8 firearms. Almost forgot dad's Stevens Favorite. Which is why I went digital in the first place. I have always had a hard time keeping track of stuff. Doc who was working with my son told me I'm a classic case of an adult with Attention Deficit Disorder. I think I'm normal, and it's all you guys who can keep track of a bunch of stuff who are weird! ;) Caffeine helps.

Kenstone
05-15-2020, 09:01 PM
yep, 2020 was the 1st year I got to hide my own Easter Eggs [smilie=1:

facetious
05-16-2020, 01:26 AM

Iowa Fox
05-17-2020, 02:18 PM
i can remember what i have its just i cant remember where i put it.

My problem for sure

starbits
05-17-2020, 11:08 PM
Looked for my phone last night. Searched the whole house twice. Dang! Finally grabbed my wife's phone and called myself. Found my phone.... in the pocket of the shorts I was wearing.

facetious
05-19-2020, 12:52 AM

MrWolf
05-19-2020, 06:39 AM

Way way to many times. Then find the pencil in the washing machine. Probably have at least four tape measures because I kept losing them. How many duplicatexand triplicate tools do take have because you know you have one but can't find it?

fjruple
05-19-2020, 07:15 AM
Yeah-- I got CRS and the other "C" diseases CHS - Cannot Hear **** and CSS - Cannot See ****. They keep telling me Pop Pop your in your golden years. I tell right back the only thing "Golden" in the years is the color of pee that is runs down the side of your leg and you don't know it. LOL

owejia
05-19-2020, 08:13 AM
Pulled two ticks off yesterday. Used to could feel them crawling on my skin, now they are dug in and sucking blood before I know they are on me. At least can't hear the mosquitoes flying around anymore. Yeah life is good.

Mal Paso
05-19-2020, 10:07 AM

That's not fair! Stanley spent millions to design a tape measure that would jump off your belt when you weren't looking. They can also sense water. I had a brand new one jump into a creek just to avoid work. Can't blame that on CRS!

bangerjim
05-19-2020, 11:59 AM
Wrote in my diary yesterday:

"Woke up this AM. Had the best BM in a month today. Then I got out of bed."

Who's old?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Texas by God
05-19-2020, 01:46 PM
Looked for my phone last night. Searched the whole house twice. Dang! Finally grabbed my wife's phone and called myself. Found my phone.... in the pocket of the shorts I was wearing.That's almost as bad as looking all over my truck for my phone- while I was talking to my wife on it[emoji849]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

David2011
05-21-2020, 12:10 AM

Maybe a few but everyone here has some level of digital skills. I keep most notes on my iPhone but complex stuff still gets sketched out or drawn with a CAD program. I don’t use the iPhone for much because Apple is too nosey. I’m retired from corporate IT. I think I’ve had CRS for almost 50 years. Been losing screwdrivers by putting them in my pockets for that long.

facetious
05-23-2020, 02:30 AM
To day I get up and the wife says she's going to make some coffee. comes back eating a strawbarry looks at her cup and remembers she was going to make coffee, gos to make coffee hears the dog out side go's out side comes back in sit's down looks at her cup and gets mad because she forgot to make coffee again, go's to make coffee and go's down stairs. I go in to get a cup of coffee and the pot is sitting next to the coffee maker and coffee is running all over. Ended up having to clean the kitchen just so I could make a cup of coffee.

I guess it is true what thy say about the great paradox. Thy live longer but age faster.

Three44s
05-23-2020, 03:50 AM
Well, I can not make up my mind if I should hang out with this bunch (cast boolits) any longer or not!

...... ‘cause I resemble y’all a lot already! LOL!

Another thought: If fooling with guns is our hobby but we cast to save money so we can shoot more, but we obviously are not shooting enough so as to remember that we did, nor what, where or how many or how much or where it’s at .... then ...... a I lost my point .... a .....

I will check back in when a .... I can a .....

Do you see my point .... ? Because it seems to have a .... sort of end up ..... lost!

Three44s