PDA

View Full Version : The sun lit uplands of casting.

Cosmic_Charlie
05-10-2020, 09:20 AM
After a couple years of learning I'm getting excellent results with my cast boolits. No leading and great accuracy, particularly with my rifles. Think I'm going to celebrate and get a 1911 target model. Or maybe one of those S&W 625's. I've been missing that caliber since I sold my Springfield Trophy Match to my eldest son.

Could not have and probably would not have gotten into casting had I not stumbled onto the Cast Boolits forums. This place is a treasure trove of great info. Thanks to all who have shared their expertise here.

sutherpride59
05-10-2020, 09:40 AM
+1 on the 1911, 45 is a breeze to cast for and a SWC is painfully accurate.

Thumbcocker
05-10-2020, 09:42 AM
A 625 model of 1989 is a thing of beauty and wonder and doesn't through brass in the grass. Glad you are enjoying the world of boolits.

gwpercle
05-10-2020, 07:55 PM
Lyman #452460 , 200 gr. SWC , don't own a 45 acp and overlook this design .
Feeds like a champ and it even brought home a few trophies from local matches .
Gary

Land Owner
05-11-2020, 06:38 AM
I sat on the cast boolit fence, lurking, for a year. I stayed strictly on the Cast Boolits Forum as my interest in any other feature of casting was blinded by ignorance.

I'm not sure why I got the itch in the first place. Fellow reloaders on the Net were pointing me in this direction, though I thought I was, at the time, "complete" in firing mostly jacketed and a few manufactured cast bullets. I didn't have a revolver or pistol until year four of my shooting and hunting "life", when I received a $5, lottery won, Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in 45 ACP/Colt from my older brother for Christmas.

Little did I know then what I know now and there remains an entire library stretching into the future of what I don't know about casting. I received a healthy "push" off the lurking fence when I was gifted nearly 800#'s of pure lead in 50# ingots. I HAD to cast after that and, with a wide satisfied grin, have never looked back.

Martin Luber
05-11-2020, 10:06 AM
So Cosmic, what are you loading that works so well?

rbuck351
05-13-2020, 09:57 AM
I got into casting when I was 18, about 53 years ago, Dad had a Colt Officers Model 38spl that I wanted to shoot but loaded ammo was expensive and to an 18year old even buying cast boolits was expensive. I bought a Lyman 2 cav mold and a lead dipper and started casting.

This was well before the internet so I was on my own and learned the hard way. First lesson was you can't melt lead in a soup can because the seams unsolder which makes a mess on moms stove.

Second lesson, you need to size the boolits cast from my mold for a tight chambered Colt revolver. So I bought a Lyman 450 lube sizer.

Third lesson, this hobby is expensive to get started saving money but what a ride it has been.

Fourth lesson, this is really fun and not counting the time and money spent on equipment, I could reload 38spl for under 2 cents per round.

Many years later I found this web site and have learned a lot that I didn't even know that I really needed to know. I thought I was pretty sharp with casting until I found this sight.

Thank you all brother casters.

Winger Ed.
05-13-2020, 05:13 PM
I've been missing that caliber since I sold my Springfield Trophy Match to my eldest son..

Welcome home.

I got into casting by figuring out that as much as I like to shoot-- that was the only way I could afford to feed my old Colt 1911.
And once I got casting figured out for it, with a lot of help from here, I've never looked back.

Cosmic_Charlie
05-16-2020, 07:31 AM
So Cosmic, what are you loading that works so well?

.308 and 30-30 are really doing nicely with Unique and 2400. .357 in my 5" Model 27 and a .44 special that was just a so so shooter is coming around. Getting a neck expander from NOE that you use in Lee's universal expander die really brought the rifles around.

Cosmic_Charlie
05-16-2020, 07:39 AM
Welcome home.

I got into casting by figuring out that as much as I like to shoot-- that was the only way I could afford to feed my old Colt 1911.
And once I got casting figured out for it, with a lot of help from here, I've never looked back.

Casting was a lot like learning reloading all over again. And the lead and pewter scrounging is fun in and of itself.

Jack Stanley
05-16-2020, 08:56 AM
You will like the 625 , a pal of mine had a pair of them he used in IDPA compitition when he wasn't using a pistol . I had opportunity to shoot them and loved them .

Jack

Markopolo
05-16-2020, 09:25 AM
I got into casting about 20 years ago out of pure necessity when I went to live in the bush, alaska. ammo was just too hard to get... with shipping components were spendy, so I decided then whatever I could do to minimize my expense and self reliance was good. i started reloading about 1972 if memory serves. it did cost me a bit to get all setup with moulds and so forth, but that was 20 years ago.. now I wouldn't dream of shooting anything except what I made myself....