PDA

View Full Version : Any ever shoot a Tingle 40 caliber target pistol?

BPSharps
05-09-2020, 11:57 PM
261895 Recently purchased and came with a few accessories and some round ball that miked out right at 40 caliber. Anyone that has shot one of these? Looking for a good starting load. Thinking about starting at 35 grains of 3F. It is a Model of 1960, made in Shelbyville Indiana by Bob Tingle.

Jniedbalski
05-10-2020, 12:53 AM
Cool pistole

45workhorse
05-10-2020, 01:51 AM
Twenty to twenty-five, might be better. See how it shoots, you can always go up. Check your patches after shooting. No tearing or burn through marks. Might need a stand to make it easier to load.
Neat looking single shot!

Nobade
05-10-2020, 11:58 AM
Those are pretty neat. For a while Dixie Gun Works was selling a copy of it, but they weren't nearly as nice as the real one. As mentioned, I'd drop down to 20gr and maybe a bit less to start. At least that's where my 45 cal pistol shoots the best.

BPSharps
05-10-2020, 12:29 PM
Yes Sir....ASM made them for Dixie Gun Works. I got one of them too but in 44 caliber. Thank you all for your replies.

Eddie Southgate
05-23-2020, 01:08 AM
Dixie sold the Tingle at one time . I have 4 of the originals that Tingle copied and I incomplete gun . The originals were made with Colt backstrap and Trigger guard or the later small frame version with Colt Scout grip frame . Barrels were cut from Whitney rifle barrels that Turner Kirkland sold fairly cheap at the time they were made . Pap used them because they had cut rifling , caliber he wanted and you could get several pistol barrels out of one rifle barrel a lot cheaper than you could buy a blank , cut it up and rifle it . B.W. Southgate of Nashville Tennessee made them before Bob Tingle did .

He also made a frame and barrel setup to convert a '60 Army to a single shot much like that pistol . You pulled the wedge and removed the barrel and cylinder then slid the ss frame and barrel on the cylinder pin and replaced the wedge . Used a Micro rear sight frame and made his own rear blade to match the slightly wider and taller ramp front sight that he prefered.

Both of these were designed and built in the 1950's after the 1860 Army he was shooting a match with popped a cylinder on him on the line . He took the undamaged frame and made the first frame/barrel replacement setup . Made them for a year or two then built the first of the pistols that Tingle copied and sold commercially . Somewhere I have a short article on the conversion that was in Shooting Times .

There's your history lesson for the day ! Remember WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER. :kidding: