PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Aluminum Blocks

cabezaverde
11-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Anyone have a technique for cleaning lead off of the face of Lee aluminum blocks?

docone31
11-25-2008, 10:11 AM
I heat the snot out of them. The lead balls up and can be flicked off.
I found the lead sticks/smears as there is either a scratch, or some baked on cutting oil from the manufacture.
Once a smear starts, it attracts more.

mooman76
11-25-2008, 11:13 AM
I always have a varity of tools handy when I cast. It helps to keep the casting going when you have a screw come loose or whatever. It's disapointing to just get into the flow where you are dropping bullets and all of a sudden you have to stop to run get a tool or something and your mould cool down and you have to start over.
Anyway I have a small brass wire brush and while the mould is hot usually after the section is done or during if needed I brush the mould off while still hot. It cleans very easy then.

Ricochet
11-25-2008, 11:44 AM
I keep a wad of fine steel wool handy.

No_1
11-25-2008, 12:02 PM
I keep a very fine stainless toothbrush wire brush handy when casting. As soon as I see a lead streak on the blocks I run it across to remove the still hot lead then I flip the mould over to get the streaks off the bottom of the sprue plate because were there is one you will find the other. I do not find that a lot of pressure is needed to remove the offending lead, just some quick light strokes and all is well again.

Robert

Wally
11-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Use an old cotton cloth as coarse as possible...I use worn out crew socks. Works magically and it will not scratch...

Wayne Smith
11-25-2008, 12:28 PM
After that - Bull Plate Lube

No_1
11-25-2008, 02:42 PM
+1 on the Bullplate lube. It has so many wonderfun uses.

Robert

After that - Bull Plate Lube

Ricochet
11-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Wonderfun uses? This is a family board, better not go there.

KYCaster
11-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Use an old cotton cloth as coarse as possible...I use worn out crew socks. Works magically and it will not scratch...

I agree, but I've found that burlap works better. Get the mold VERY HOT and the lead wipes right off.

Jerry

jonk
11-26-2008, 10:04 AM
I've never found bullplate to be anything I want NEAR my molds' sprue cutters. No matter how lightly I dab it on and wipe off, by darn, some ends up in the cavity and I have to stop, cool, scrub, re smoke, etc. However, it is good stuff for alignment pins and to lube pivot points and such, and a lot of folks here speak highly of it so I'd surely try it and formulate your own opinion.

I do love the bullplate speed green though. :)