PDA

View Full Version : Which Air Rifle?

Mal Paso
05-09-2020, 11:55 AM
I have a birthday discount at Midway. Any recommendations?

NSB
05-09-2020, 01:26 PM
Depends on what you want to spend. The best value for money spent is probably a Benjamin Marauder PCP airgun. It shoots as well, or nearly as well, as a high end target model Brit gun. You're going to spent five hundred to seven hundred for one of these. There's a reason they're the number one sold air rifles in the world. I have a Daystate I paid well over a grand for and my buddy just got a Marauder for half as much. His gun shoots 95% as accurate as mine does. It's not as nice looking, but it has a quality barrel and trigger. His gun will shoot .5" five shot groups at fifty yards. Mine does just a tad better. The Benjamin is American Made here in the state of New York. Right down the street from Turnbull.

georgerkahn
05-09-2020, 02:57 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY -- a privilege denied to many!!! I've been "in and out or air arms" for quite a few years, and I cannot but agree 101% with NSB! I have two Marauder pistols -- the plain Jane and the Woodsman -- both in .22 calibre, and each adorned with a Leopold 'scope. With every shot I became pleased with my purchase -- soooo pleased I bought the Marauder rifle (also in .22). For an extra ~$60 USD, I bought the PLASTIC stock for my rifle (from Pyramid) which affords me a bit more than a pound less weight to carry in the field; while a one-screw less than two minute task to switch back to the gorgeous wood stock which came on it. I have a Sig Sauer Whisky air-gun 'scope on it (I also have one on my Sig Sauer Nitro air rifle) -- and cannot give anything but a super-plus recommendation on this glass, too.
Good luck, whichever you elect to get... and again, happy birthday!
geo

oconeedan
05-09-2020, 07:57 PM
Not everyone has access to air tanks or compressors, which is needed for PCP (unless you want a work out with hand pump).
If not, then a quality spring piston, or gas piston may suit you. I have an RWS 54 22 cal that hits hard and will shoot ragged one hole groups, but it may be over your budget. For the money, I hear the RWS 34 is hard to beat.

NSB
05-09-2020, 08:10 PM
Not everyone has access to air tanks or compressors, which is needed for PCP (unless you want a work out with hand pump).
If not, then a quality spring piston, or gas piston may suit you. I have an RWS 54 22 cal that hits hard and will shoot ragged one hole groups, but it may be over your budget. For the money, I hear the RWS 34 is hard to beat.
I'm in my seventies and have several cardiac stents. I can pump up the Daystate to 3525psi/250Bar in about five minutes without killing myself. Unless you're really in very bad condition it's not a big deal pumping one up. Once full, I get about 50 good shots out of the gun. The Marauder goes to 3000 psi and is easier to pump. It's easier to use a bottle on a PCP airgun, but it's not a show stopper not having a bottle.

oconeedan
05-09-2020, 08:41 PM
I'm in my seventies and have several cardiac stents. I can pump up the Daystate to 3525psi/250Bar in about five minutes without killing myself. Unless you're really in very bad condition it's not a big deal pumping one up. Once full, I get about 50 good shots out of the gun. The Marauder goes to 3000 psi and is easier to pump. It's easier to use a bottle on a PCP airgun, but it's not a show stopper not having a bottle.

Thank you for your reply! I have never had one, as there is no place to charge tanks near me and I have read the hand pumps are a cardiac work out. I stand corrected.
And now, maybe I'll have to get a PCP!

MT Chambers
05-09-2020, 10:49 PM
I would opt for a quality spring gun or gas ram and you don't need anything else, the rws 34 or 48 are good guns for the money or the new SIG ASP. AA tx200 and the Pro sport as well as all the weihrauch line are all tops but prolly not sold at the big box stores.

OldBearHair
05-09-2020, 11:20 PM
I just bought a Gamo Whisper 22 cal. and two boxes of Red fire pellets. They notified me it is shipped. Under two hundred. Will let youall know how it does and pellet speed after I get it here. Supposed to be much quieter.

NyFirefighter357
05-10-2020, 07:23 AM
It all depends what your intended use is. I have a mid 80's .177 cal Beeman imported Webley Omega springer I figure it has somewhere around 30,000 pellets through it. Originally at 800fps it was the fastest gun on the market back then. It is also very accurate and has taken many critters. Beeman to this day contends accuracy drops off when you break the sound barrier with pellets. I have shot several of the new .177cal nitro piston rifles, they are all very loud. Some as loud as a 22LR. I have been looking into a 22cal or .25cal break barrel rifles as I don't want to deal with the PCP guns. If you go with a .177cal get one with the built in suppressor (Legal in all states) like a Gamo Whisper. Hatsan, Benjamin, has several break barrel .22 &.25cal rifles in prices ranging from $125-$300. These would make nice target as well as a nice small game gun.

https://www.midwayusa.com/air-rifles/br?cid=23173&targetLocation=%2F_%2FN-23173%2B4294917209%2B4294906718%2B4294931199%3FNp% 3D2%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_visible%253A1%252Ccustomertyp eid%253A1%2529%26Nrpp%3D24%26Ns%3Dp_metric_sales_v elocity%257C1%26Ntpc%3D1%26Ntpr%3D1&customerSelectedSort=False

Most air rifle velocities are based on the lightest pellet available which may not be the best choice for your application. Also if they sell a gun in several calibers the listing is going to show the smaller caliber velocity & you may have to search for the velocity for the larger calibers. I'm looking at 750fps in 25cal. Generally the .177 run in the 1,250fps & .22 run about 1,000fps with medium weight pellets.

If you just want to plink in the back yard you might want to stick to .177 or 22cal as the pellets are easier to find locally.

I wouldn't go bellow .22cal myself as the 1,000fps has decent knock down power for small game.

Don't forget a pellet trap at under $20 they not only make a good back stop & target holder but also will allow you to recycle your lead into bullets.

NSB
05-10-2020, 09:14 AM
One of the most promoted things you can get for airgun shooting is a chronograph. A couple of reasons: first, the manufacturers lie about velocities most of the time. Second, you need to know your actual velocity shot to shot if you're going to develop any confidence in trajectory over distance. These things drop like a rock, not even close to a rimfire even with the higher end velocities. Just a note here on velocity....you rarely get anywhere near 1,000fps with a .22 air gun using any pellet that isn't a non-lead alloy. A 14-16g quality pellet should get you around 850-900fps in most cases. Once you go beyond the sound barrier on a pellet gun the pellet doesn't fly right. It's simply not designed to. Even a .22lr bullet will lose accuracy transitioning back into sub sonic velocities. Most shooters who don't take airgunning seriously don't bother with a chronograph. If you do want to use one, Caldwell makes a couple for around the hundred dollar mark that get very good reviews and can be used for both airguns and centerfire rifles. They're suggested range of operation is 20fps-9999fps with an accuracy error of +/- .25%.
Here's what you can expect from a mid-priced Benjamin Marauder and/or something like a Daystate or such upper end.

Don Purcell
05-10-2020, 11:40 AM
I love my RWS Model 48 .22 cal., accurate and hits HARD.

georgerkahn
05-10-2020, 04:09 PM
One of the most promoted things you can get for airgun shooting is a chronograph.

Once again, I cannot agree more with NSB re the value of a chronograph. My first, too many years back, was paper sheets with a metal/carbon trace you shot through to actuate "Nixie Tube" vaccum tubes; check a table; and record the velocity. Kits were sold to repair now-broken circuits by bullets, and I had some chrony-sheets that probably had more repair links on them than the original circuitry! ;) I graduated up in years to now have both a PACT and a more-modern Oehler than the paper-required one: Their 35P.
While these function great on the range -- I have Infra-red lights for the PACT -- for airgunning I "discovered" a real nifty (imho) chronograph made by the good folks at FX. It's "beauty" is I simply hang it from the barrel of any air gun (and, I've used it, too, on rimfire pistols) -- and shoot away. All data mysteriously appears on your cellular telephone. (I have both an iPhone 7, and an iPhone 7plus). Pyramid Air (among others) purveys it in the U S two hundred dollar range; with the technology afforded -- I do believe it is a bargain at this price. Pyramid's link is https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/FX_Radar_Pocket_Wireless_Chronograph/9078
There are also several YouTube and other videos illustrating it being used.
As I typed, one needs but hang it from barrel and shoot -- NO setting up stands, shooting through "arms", chancing hitting sensors (I've done it!), et cetera. Hang it on the barrel; turn on cellular telephone (they have a free App); and shoot.
BEST!
geo

panhed65
05-10-2020, 06:51 PM
I have a hatsan pcp rifle in .22. has a little magazine to it. good trigger and VERY accurate with the right pellet. I am happy with it.
Barry

Mal Paso
05-12-2020, 12:07 PM
Great Stuff Thanks! I have been reading and this fills in a lot of gaps.

I ran into a fellow from South America at the range who was shooting a 38 cal rifle that he had taken deer with. He was using a hand pump as he was on the road so I have seen it done.

22 cal sounds right for me, small game and targets. I could legally shoot my 44s right here but don't want to wind the neighbors up any tighter than they are right now.

wordsmith
05-12-2020, 10:39 PM
I have two Marauders, one in .22 and the other in .25. I’ve completely gutted and customized them. However, they were both really enjoyable as stock rifles, and I recommend them as a great starting PCP for folks I know. I’ve seen and shot everything from cheap Chinese garbage to high dollar models, and the Marauders are the best balance of features for the money. If you want to go crazy with them, you can. My custom .22 will shoot sub-MOA out to and beyond 100 yards (MM barrel), so they can be made to be very accurate. And they tend to be pretty darn accurate to start.

As an aside, I also have a .22 Gamo Urban with the BSA barrel, and it’s really great as well, and honestly amazing for $300’ish dollars. Mine needs big headed JSB pellets however (5.53mm+ on my pelletgage) for best accuracy, just FYI. Smaller heads that are common these days don’t shoot nearly as well.

Boolseye
05-14-2020, 06:22 PM
I think if I were to have one it would be a magnum break barrel in .22. I have a Hatsan 135. Only drawback is it’s a 10 lb. gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldBearHair
05-14-2020, 09:57 PM
Began sighting in today at 30 feet Right group is seven shots. Picture reversed. Need to move group to left next. Need to adjust trigger as well. learned to set the butt on the ground and push the barrel down to cock it. Using my bow stringing technique. ( It is 40 lbs ) Hits pretty hard. Handling the pellets turned my fingertips black with lead. Next thing is to put a pellet with it's little red plastic point in the oven to see if it will survive getting Hi Tek Gold treatment. Did my hunting knife quite a while back and it has not rusted. It is hand forged spring steel that will rust easily. The "Whisper" noise at the shot is more than what I would consider to be a whisper. Research the decibel numbers next.

Mal Paso
05-15-2020, 12:56 PM
Well I stretched the budget and ordered a RWS 48 today. Complete with a scope and ammo it was $500 delivered. PCP was my first choice but the guns available need sights as well as a power source. The 48 got great reviews for accuracy and quality. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

Boolseye
05-15-2020, 02:19 PM
I was checking them out the other day, looks like a great rig. Enjoy!

Sven205
05-15-2020, 02:33 PM
A little late to the party, but I bought one of these for a similar price and have enjoyed it. Cant go wrong with an RWS though.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/diana-model-430l-combo-.177/

Boolseye
05-15-2020, 06:14 PM
That 430 looks like the ideal platform for .177

Mal Paso
05-20-2020, 11:06 PM
The RWS 48 arrived today from Midway in 2 overpack boxes which was great as the outside box was thrashed. I mounted the scope and headed down to the quarry. I set up at 21 yards to sight in the scope. First shot was on paper but the thing that got my attention was the shot went right through the 3/4 plywood backer. The specs say 900 fps which is 100 below magnum but hotter than standard. Looks like plenty of power for small game. I got the scope sighted and tried a 5 shot group and got a 1 inch group, sitting on the ground with a log rest. Some of the drift was heavy breathing from getting my old self off the ground to cock the gun. LOL Gotta build a bench tomorrow and bring a chair.

I'm pleased, first day with an air rifle. Thanks for the help!

W.R.Buchanan
05-21-2020, 02:19 PM
You get better with it every time you shoot it. Quality German Air Rifles are fine pieces of machinery and built for lasting accuracy.

One thing you can pretty much count on is the fact that, your gun will be able to out shoot "you" forever.

Gives you something to shoot for.

Randy

Boolseye
05-23-2020, 04:36 PM
Congrats, nice purchase.

Camba
07-30-2020, 10:45 PM
I bought an RWS model 34 and another RWS model 350 Magnum springers a long time ago. They are both .177 caliber and they shoot beautifully with the Crosmman Premier 7.9gr pellets. I did use the chrony to measure FPS and the model 34 was 970 PFS and the 350 Magnum was 1050 FPS.
They really messed up my pellet trap. They left deep indentations and one indentation showed a visible crack. I think I need to get one of those .22 LR bullet trap for these rifles. I also shoot my .22 Discovery and now my new Fortitude PCP rifles on it too. I would say any of those rifles are very capable for squarill and rabbit hunting.

The only draw back on those springers is the break force. It may not be as strong as the Hatsan 135 but after a few 5-shot groups, it gives you a decent workout for an old fart as me with shoulder issues. I am enjoying the PCP's now but I have a pump and that is another workout too; except that you get multiple shots. I enjoy reading the stories above and learn a lot about air rifles.

Life is good.
Camba

Mal Paso
07-31-2020, 11:29 AM
My 48 is side lever and no problem for me to cock. I've never shot a break barrel so I've no comparison. This is my first experience with air rifles. Dad was an electronics engineer so we had radios not rifles.

I'd like to get into PCP, JAMOM and 44Mag covers the larger chores so it's going to take more justifying. LOL

The 48 is great and I just ordered oil as I'm getting close to 1,000 rounds through it.

talon7825
08-17-2020, 11:46 AM
I did not know Midway did a Bday discount thanks

Steve E
08-21-2020, 01:38 PM
I think springers are good, gas guns are better and PCP's are the best. I bought a 22 cal Gamo Urban and absolutely love it. You can hand pump but I bought a compressor which is the only way to go for me. I think is any platform the best compromise is the 22 cal. This is my opinion and what has worked best for me. Main thing is to get out and shoot.

Steve..........

Sc0
08-21-2020, 10:51 PM
A great rifle, can be tuned to do whatever you prefer as long as it's below 28ftlb. If maintaining full power, the spring will break eventually.

BigAlofPa.
08-22-2020, 08:36 PM
I ran into a fellow who had a Ruger air rifle. It was grouping real nice at 30 yards. I was impressed. He said he hunts with it too. Also he said it's made in Germany. Think he said it was 300.00. Not sure if he was B/S'n or not. I was looking at then at walmart before i met him. And what they have are made in china.

TCLouis
08-23-2020, 10:16 PM
Airguns are like 22 rimfires and accuracy can be very pellet dependent.

Try several different pellets before you decide how precisely the gun will shoot.

MT Chambers
08-24-2020, 10:58 PM
I think springers are good, gas guns are better and PCP's are the best. I bought a 22 cal Gamo Urban and absolutely love it. You can hand pump but I bought a compressor which is the only way to go for me. I think is any platform the best compromise is the 22 cal. This is my opinion and what has worked best for me. Main thing is to get out and shoot.

Steve..........

Steve: Buying a Gamo does not really qualify as a good spring gun or gas ram, they are kind of "entry level". You might not dismiss or rank springers low if you tried a HW97 or a TX200. I have gas rams, springers, a bunch of PCPs including a Wolverine, AirArms 510, Daystate Regal, Seneca 2500, however I still prefer my quality springers the most.

Black Beard
08-25-2020, 03:42 PM
Congratulations on buying an excellent air rifle. I have a couple of '52s which are the same except for the stock. One of them is my favorite air gun.

Mine are in .22 and like JSB Express and JSB RS. They are light pellets but I'm restricted to 12ftlb (about 600fps) due to UK laws. The other JSBs don't work so well for me but might be better at full power.

W.R.Buchanan
09-04-2020, 07:17 PM
Black Beard: Does anyone actually check the power level of your guns? Would they know if you were at,,, say 15 or more?

Seems like there should be some self important fool occupying that job?

Randy

alamogunr
09-04-2020, 07:32 PM
The RWS 48 arrived today from Midway in 2 overpack boxes which was great as the outside box was thrashed. I mounted the scope and headed down to the quarry. I set up at 21 yards to sight in the scope. First shot was on paper but the thing that got my attention was the shot went right through the 3/4 plywood backer. The specs say 900 fps which is 100 below magnum but hotter than standard. Looks like plenty of power for small game. I got the scope sighted and tried a 5 shot group and got a 1 inch group, sitting on the ground with a log rest. Some of the drift was heavy breathing from getting my old self off the ground to cock the gun. LOL Gotta build a bench tomorrow and bring a chair.

I'm pleased, first day with an air rifle. Thanks for the help!

You have reason to be pleased. Some might have been surprised at your shot going thru the 3/4 plywood. I'm not. I was surprised when a shot from my Weirhrauch HW95 went thru 3/8 plywood and took a chunk out of the backside. Gives you a whole new respect for the power of these things.

I have sort of wished that I had bought a side lever. When I first got my Weirhrauch HW95, I didn't pay too much attention to the cocking. After an afternoon of shooting about 100 shots, the next day I had such a pain in my right elbow that I almost swore off air guns forever. I have since changed my cocking movement. If tennis elbow is anything like air gun elbow, I'm surprised that more tennis players don't give up the sport.

Sc0
09-05-2020, 08:40 AM
I think the only issue that I have had with my Diana sidelevers is when a pellet falls out of the barrel when closing the lever. Solved by using better pellets and by pointing the muzzle towards the ground when loading.

Mal Paso
10-30-2020, 09:13 PM
I used 50 cents worth of gas to ride my quad to my range and shoot $1 worth of ammo last evening. The scope is well sighted now and groups are mostly one ragged hole but there are a few strays. Maybe 800 rounds shot so far. The mounting screws keep coming lose, one in the foregrip, 2 on the trigger. I tightened them again last night. Anyone use Loctite?

35 shooter
10-30-2020, 09:49 PM
I used blue locktite on my summit ranger gas ram and that stopped it. Surprisingly, my new Diana 350 mag. has yet to loosen a screw on the stock. Still don’t have 300 rounds through it yet, but I was expecting them to loosen before now.
Still keeping a check on them though.

Mal Paso
11-01-2020, 02:34 PM
Thanks!

I removed the screws to Loctite them and there on the bottom of the action was the spring Oil Hole I was looking for so I did the 1,000 round oiling while it was open.

LenH
11-04-2020, 12:59 PM
I have a Weihrauch break barrel and the accuracy went to pot. I checked the screws and 2 had started working loose. Blue loctite fixed that problem and the accuracy came back.

idahoron
11-04-2020, 10:18 PM
Your 48 should be a very good shooting gun. The fact that it has a fixed barrel will help accuracy.
I have an Air Arms TX200 22cal.
After having several false starts with hatsan's and other worthless air rifles I decided to get a really nice rifle. At first I was still not thinking straight. I put a UTG scope on it and UTG mount on my Air Arms TX200. That was a huge mistake. Then I put a vortex crossfire II on it. Things got better, but not great. I decided it was the mount. So I put a BKL one piece mount on it. Then good became great. I killed well over 400 rock Chucks with that combination. I liked that scope and mount but I wanted to take it to the next level. So I put a vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24 x50 FFP on it with a set of triple strap BKL mounts.
Putting quality scopes and mounts was tge key to changing my good shooting rifle to a unbelievable shooting rifle.

W.R.Buchanan
11-05-2020, 06:32 PM
Once people realize that the Quality Air rifles are equal to or above most of their currently owned firearms,,, the idea of putting a Quality Scope and Mount on the gun becomes much easier to swallow.

Ron has killed over 400 Rock Chucks with his gun and I doubt many have killed that many with firearms of any type. Maybe Kids with .22's?

But Ron will be shooting his gun for years to come and it will still be able to hit a Fly at 50 yards for as long as he can stand to shoot it.

Sometimes the accuracy and dependability of a quality Air Rifle becomes Boring. That is your first clue you are growing more stupid everyday.

Take my word for it.

Randy

Chill Wills
11-06-2020, 06:10 PM
Ron has killed over 400 Rock Chucks with his gun and I doubt many have killed that many with firearms of any type. Maybe Kids with .22's?
Randy

Nah, I know kids can be annoying but using a 22 on them might be a little excessive. ;)

fiberoptik
11-07-2020, 02:47 AM
Nah, I know kids can be annoying but using a 22 on them might be a little excessive. ;)

Not some of the kids I’ve seen![emoji102][emoji102][emoji102]

Ban
11-21-2020, 11:15 PM
Ha! No comment.