PDA

View Full Version : I could use some 270 help

davidheart
05-09-2020, 09:51 AM
Hey there, I recently acquired a 270win Savage 111 for my backup hunting rifle. I had a cheap Mauser in 30-06 that had a personal vendetta against me so the two of us decided to part ways. A buddy who owns a local gunshop gave this Savage in a straight trade which is wonderful.... Except I have zero experience in 270 and no anything for anything for it. I bought one box of Federal 130gr SP that was on sale for $13 because 270 isn't really popular here.

If anyone has any extra 270 brass, boolits or otherwise to help me get started in this cartridge I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Tazlaw
05-09-2020, 10:23 AM
I could possibly scrounge up a small flat rate box of brass for cost of shipping if you need it. Just PM me.

Petrol & Powder
05-09-2020, 10:30 AM
While I'm not a huge fan of long actions, I am a fan of 7mm rifle projectiles.
The history of the 270 Win is well known and I will not go over it here. I will say that its good reputation seems to be well deserved. While it doesn't use the exact same diameter bullet of the 7mm family (.277" vs. .284") it's close enough that it reaps most of the same benefits of the general 7mm class. Excellent trajectory, excellent accuracy, good penetration, enough weight to get the job done but less recoil than the larger calibers, etc.; are all traits of the 270 Win.
Where the 7mm Remington mag is often overkill in the eastern U.S., the 270 Win shines.

I don't know why the 270 Win ended up with a .277" (7.0mm) bullet and everything else in the 7mm class ended up with 7.2 mm (.284") but that's what happened. I'm sure there's some American/European conflict there but whatever.

Most people I've met that hunted with the 270 Win swore by it. In a lot of ways, the 270 Win is the American version of the 7mm Mauser. While those two cartridges are not at all interchangeable; they are have very similar ballistics and performance. The casing for the 270 Win is about a 1/4" longer than the 7mm Mauser, and the two cartridges use slightly different bullet diameters. However, in terms of real world performance, the 270 Win is a lot like the American cousin of the 7 x 57.

richhodg66
05-09-2020, 10:45 AM
I always wondered about the .270. Can't do anything the .30-06 can't do better and was already doing when it was developed with the added bonus of a much worse bullet selection.

I picked up one of the older Sears ones built on an FN Mauser action which should be a better shooter than it is. To be fair, I haven't really worked with it much, but I just can't see the appeal. The .280 Remington is a much, much better idea and cartridge making better use of a better selection of bullets too, but for some reason it has been a flop where sales are concerned.

ACC
05-09-2020, 10:47 AM
While I'm not a huge fan of long actions, I am a fan of 7mm rifle projectiles.
The history of the 270 Win is well known and I will not go over it here. I will say that its good reputation seems to be well deserved. While it doesn't use the exact same diameter bullet of the 7mm family (.277" vs. .284") it's close enough that it reaps most of the same benefits of the general 7mm class. Excellent trajectory, excellent accuracy, good penetration, enough weight to get the job done but less recoil than the larger calibers, etc.; are all traits of the 270 Win.
Where the 7mm Remington mag is often overkill in the eastern U.S., the 270 Win shines.

I don't know why the 270 Win ended up with a .277" (7.0mm) bullet and everything else in the 7mm class ended up with 7.2 mm (.284") but that's what happened. I'm sure there's some American/European conflict there but whatever.

Most people I've met that hunted with the 270 Win swore by it. In a lot of ways, the 270 Win is the American version of the 7mm Mauser. While those two cartridges are not at all interchangeable; they are have very similar ballistics and performance. The casing for the 270 Win is about a 1/4" longer than the 7mm Mauser, and the two cartridges use slightly different bullet diameters. However, in terms of real world performance, the 270 Win is a lot like the American cousin of the 7 x 57.

Now that the US Army is adopting the 6.8 which is .277 inch diameter, you may be seeing more bullets in that caliber.

ACC

BigAlofPa.
05-09-2020, 11:11 AM
Wish you had posted this a few days ago. I had some 270 brass i could have forwarded to you. But i resized and loaded them to 30.06 for light target loads already.

Hogtamer
05-09-2020, 11:41 AM
You have yourself a great caliber! The .270 is made for the 130 gr projectile and mine Browning A-bolt shoots them like a dream. It will not shoot anything heavier worth a darn. The best load I have found is 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip over 48 gr of IMR 4064 which is max load. As it happens I shot a few reloads yesterday using that charge and Nosler 130 gr partitions at 400 yards. I can send you some brass and the powder is easy to find. Send me a PM if you like and remember.....130 gr even though the rest may be found, there's a reason for it!

ok but room for improvement

05-09-2020, 11:52 AM
Agree w/ hog tamer. I've tried to work up loads for a Frankenstein .270 I have with bullets of various weights, but the only one that really shines is the 130 grain bullet. Outstanding accuracy and terminal performance punching way above it's weight class. Invest a little time and experiment some, and I bet you will just be smiling with the .270.

dverna
05-09-2020, 12:13 PM
Three of the guys in our camp use the .270 and they shoot factory ammunition. It just plain works.

Agree with the others, the 130 gr bullet is what I would select. I may have some brass (all OF) and if I find it will PM you. I used to have a .270 until I downsized and rationalized by "armory". I got rid of the .270 because I decided the .308 was a more sensible SHTF and hunting choice for my needs (lots of military brass, good bullet selection, and better cast performer).

Petrol & Powder
05-09-2020, 01:46 PM
richhodg66, your affection for the .30-06 is certainly shared by many but I'm not in that camp; which is fine. We are unlikely to change the opinions of the other.
The view of, ".....[the 270 Winchester] Can't do anything the .30-06 can't do better ...". could also be phrased, "The 270 does everything the .30-06 does and does it with a lighter bullet of superior ballistic coefficient" :D

Nobody wins caliber wars and the debate between .30-06 & 270 Winchester has existed since the introduction of the 270 Win.
I will agree that the available selection of bullets in .308" is better than the selection of bullets in .277", but maybe that's because the .30 caliber needs more selection to get the job done :kidding: (sorry, couldn't resist that one)

The .30-06 is immensely popular in the U.S.A. That popularity is no doubt largely due to its use as a primary military cartridge for decades. The .30-06 is certainly a capable cartridge. The 270 Winchester is also a capable cartridge and is largely based on the .30-06, the chief difference being the diameter of the bullet.

America has long shown a strong affinity for the 30 caliber. Even when we finally let go of that excessively long .30-06 cartridge (kicking and screaming the whole way I might add), we STILL held onto the .308 diameter bullet with the 7.62 NATO.
We eventually went to 5.56 mm and some would argue that was too far. The current trends back towards the 6mm - 7mm territory tends to support those theories.

I openly admit that I have more than a little bias for the 7mm projectiles. There, I said IT. ;-)

I do not like long actions and the 270 Win is a long action cartridge. Nor do I care for that weird .277" diameter when the entire remaining world thinks it should be .284". But I do see the 270 Winchester to be every bit as capable as the .30-06 until you get waaaaaay out there.

Frankly I think the old 7mm Mauser is an outstanding cartridge and the 7mm-08 is even better but there's my 7mm bias showing again.

RKJ
05-09-2020, 02:24 PM
I’ve got brass I can send you. Give me your address in a PM AND I’ll get it out to you. My son has a .270 and while I’m not real fond of the caliber (more of a 30/06 guy) but it’s a darn good caliber and will get the job done.

brstevns
05-09-2020, 05:19 PM
I have a set of Lee 270 dies in like-new condition. PM me your address if you need them.

davidheart
05-09-2020, 11:21 PM
You guys are amazing. I just got home and pulled up this thread and y'all's support is overwhelming. Thank you!

I never could bring myself to enjoy the 30-06 but that doesn't mean the cartridge isn't effective or useful.

The .277 diameter takes advantage of 6.5mm bc and sectional density with greater frontal area in 130-150gr common weights instead of 120-140gr common weight in 6.5.

7mm has a much better bullet selection and wider variety of weights but from what I know the 7mm-08 needs a long action to take advantage of that weight range and likewise the 280 needs to be bumped up to ai to be more efficient. I also heard, because of the popularity of the 7mag the majority of projectiles are tailored for it's high velocity. I could be wrong.

The 270 has always intrigued me and I'm excited to shoot it.

Petrol & Powder
05-10-2020, 10:49 AM
The 7mm-08 (which is a great cartridge, BTW) never needs a long action. If you're trying to stuff heavy (read that as long) bullets into a 7mm-08 casing and need greater OAL, you're beyond the weight range for that cartridge. 140 grain bullets are about where you want to be in 7mm-08.

There are excellent bullets available in 7mm (.284") and I don't think they are tailored exclusively for the 7mm Remington mag, however the 7mm Mag is very popular so you will see a lot of heavy bullets in 7mm.

The 270 is well anchored in America and has a loyal following. This is good because despite of its slightly unusual bullet diameter of .277", there is an ample selection of bullets. As others have said, 130 grains is where you want to be with the 270 Winchester.
The 270 Winchester is to the .30-06 what the 7mm-08 is to the 308 Winchester. Both of those cartridges are based on the 30 caliber military cartridge (one long action and one short action) and are then necked down to roughly 7mm.

HP9MM
05-10-2020, 10:57 AM
IMR or Hodgon 4831 is the go to powder for the .270. I have one I have reloaded for since the mid 1970's. Very accurate and easy to load for. I like the boat tail soft point Sierra bullet.

Hogtamer
05-10-2020, 11:15 AM
PM sent and package out in tomorrow's mail.

pertnear
05-10-2020, 11:16 AM
IMR or Hodgon 4831 is the go to powder for the .270. I have one I have reloaded for since the mid 1970's. Very accurate and easy to load for. I like the boat tail soft point Sierra bullet.

I've hunted a lifetime with the .270 & have dispatched tons of critters with it! All with 130 gr bullets & I've never been disappointed. Over the years I've owned up to four .270's at a time. Now I'm down to just my two favorites. As HP9MM said, 4831 is THE powder for the .270 & 4350 is a close second. I've used various 130 gr bullets but my favorite is the Speer 130 gr SP-FB Hot-Core. If I have any criticism it is that the .270 is quite destructive on deer meat at close-range, but then again what high-powered rifle isn't!

davidheart
05-10-2020, 05:08 PM
I know the local gunshop has ample supply of one powder and no other. IMR 4320. Would this work well? Otherwise I could probably go to another gunshop an hour away and fine another powder.

Have any of you used cast boolits in the 270?

Hogtamer
05-10-2020, 05:23 PM
Never used it but have always heard the 4831 was best....I had the 4064 and got good results so I stuck with it. Not sure the .270 lends itself to cast.

Jeff Michel
05-10-2020, 05:32 PM
I use RL15 with 130 grain Hornady Interlock, works very well on deer and antelope. I have had very little success with cast other than gallery loads.

Elroy
05-10-2020, 05:41 PM
IMR 4350 is hard to beat for the 270.IMO

brstevns
05-11-2020, 03:45 PM
The die set went out in todays mail, I did not have a shell holder to go with them. Hope that is not a problem.
Take care in these strange times and enjoy the 270 win.

davidheart
05-11-2020, 05:42 PM
The die set went out in todays mail, I did not have a shell holder to go with them. Hope that is not a problem.
Take care in these strange times and enjoy the 270 win.

Thank you so much! I have a shell holder so that won't be an issue. You're awesome. :D

davidheart
05-14-2020, 11:32 AM
I got the brass, bullets, and reloading dies in guys! I really appreciate it all! I bought a pound of IMR 4320 from the local gunshop for $20 and had some Winchester large rifle primers. I then headstamp sorted, trimmed with my Lyman Acculine, VLD chamfered, deburred the flash holes, and carefully measured.

By cross referencing load data in a similar manner taught to me by "George" I arrived at 46.5gr of IMR 4320 and OAL of 3.250 using the 130gr Rem PSP. I'm at an average velocity of 2900, less than an inch at 100, and the rifle is very pleasant to shoot with very little noticeable recoil. I'm an extremely happy camper and I know I'll be able to get a deer with this load on the ag. depredation hunt I'm listed for this Spring/Summer. Thank you so much guys for helping me fill the freezer for my family!

Hogtamer
05-16-2020, 10:03 PM
Good report, looks like a great load. Oh yeah, nice shooting!

RKJ
05-16-2020, 10:07 PM
I've had real good accuracy with 4350 (any of them). I bet you will too.

davidheart
05-17-2020, 09:16 AM
As you guys know I received the brass, bullets, and dies all in the mail and once again I really really appreciate y'all's help!

During the Summer this year I'm one of three hunters with a special permit to cull deer at a working farm. This farm in particular grows and preserves heirloom seeds for future generations as well as growing organic beef cattle. Deer eat through the fields and carry parasites which attack the brain of livestock.

The surrounding area contains vineyards and unhunted residential tracts. To say the deer are abundant is an understatement. We have a cull limit of 30 with no permission to shoot antlered deer.

Last night I visited the farm and spotted 7 deer in an open field, just above the garlic patches. There was no good way of getting close to them quickly so I found a solid position and laid prone. I used jbm ballistics and calculated a drop table. 2900fps, .372 BC, zero height 2.5 inches at 100. I used a golfing app on my phone (GPS Range Finder) and estimated the range at 303 yards. Settled in. And shot.

Hit just behind the right leg. The deer ran 30 yards into a blackberry and briar thicket (of course) and never came out.

I called my wife and told her to contact her friend who's husband had recently lost his job. They have four kids just like us and they were already struggling before the coronavirus hit.

I received this rifle from a straight trade. No money exchanged. I used brass, dies, and bullets given to me by you guys. It only seemed proper to give the entire deer away too. I processed the deer last night, preserving every ounce of meat, and there is an extremely grateful family she's going to today.

Thank you all for your generosity. I just wanted you to know the results of this thread.

Hogtamer
05-17-2020, 09:28 AM
Excellent!

brstevns
05-17-2020, 10:51 AM
Great job and a great friend you are

jonp
05-23-2020, 06:09 AM
I always wondered about the .270. Can't do anything the .30-06 can't do better and was already doing when it was developed with the added bonus of a much worse bullet selection.

I picked up one of the older Sears ones built on an FN Mauser action which should be a better shooter than it is. To be fair, I haven't really worked with it much, but I just can't see the appeal. The .280 Remington is a much, much better idea and cartridge making better use of a better selection of bullets too, but for some reason it has been a flop where sales are concerned.

Less recoil and better long range performance but no, the 30-06 can do it all for sure.

brstevns
05-23-2020, 12:51 PM
Less recoil? Had a Savage 110 in 270 win kicked a lot harder then the same Model in 30/06 my cousin had.
Sold the barrel and made a 250 Savage out of it.
Shooting my cousins 06 did not bother me, but that 270!!! ( just can not explain what the difference was).

jonp
05-23-2020, 03:16 PM
Less recoil? Had a Savage 110 in 270 win kicked a lot harder then the same Model in 30/06 my cousin had.
Sold the barrel and made a 250 Savage out of it.
Shooting my cousins 06 did not bother me, but that 270!!! ( just can not explain what the difference was).

Depends on the stock of course

kaiser
05-23-2020, 05:32 PM
The first deer rifle I bought that wasn't family owned was a 700BDL in a .270. While I was enamored with Jack O'Connor's hunting stories and "magical feats" of the .270. I found it to be superbly accurate with mine shooting most loads from 90 grains to 160gr near enough to the same POA that the sights did not have to be adjusted unless using it at extreme range or working up experimental loads. (I've also found this same POA phenomenon with particular 30/06 and .35 Whelen! Maybe its the rifles I use, the '06 case, or just luck:o) Since the .270Win was never been a military round, it was loaded to higher pressure than the '06; thus, it fired smaller bullets faster for a flatter trajectory. Of course as a new shooter and "loader" I tried to get every fps I could out of every load and quickly found that accuracy was far more important than velocity in an effective bullet sized .007 diameter less than the same bullet used by "Bell" to slay over 1000 elephants. My first power experiments was also with IMR4320, because that was the only powder I could get in my immediate area. I found it worked well with 110 and 130gr bullets.

I hear the discussion (argument?) that their are those that dislike "long" actions, and I can certainly relate when overweight actions are put on overweight stocks that have the balance of a bowling ball; however, for many years the .308 and .243 were offered by Winchester and Savage in .30/06 length bolt actions until they finally realized people weren't buying their cheap manufacturing methods. I too prefer any short rounds to be in a light weight rifles until they approach Magnum class (.300WSM, etc.), then these short action "wonders" become recoil "monsters" with too short chambers, too slim of barrel and too light of stock (ouch!).

My problem is I like and use most all of them, except the short Mag's, which has increased my inventory (and pocket book) over the years. Although there are better rounds for specific tasks than the .270, it will take care of 90% of the hunting and shooting I do --- so will the .30/06, .308, or 7/08. It's sure nice to have choices! My .02

Hawks Feather
05-23-2020, 05:56 PM
I bought a .270 Ruger and had it worked so that it was somewhat better than new. I loves 130 grain bullets - especially Remington Bronze Tip. I bought a bunch of them and when I just checked they quit production of them and the ones I found on the internet are pretty pricey.

Tazlaw
05-23-2020, 06:39 PM
Way to go!

rbuck351
05-24-2020, 12:11 PM
If my memory serves, I have shot 7 moose with the 270 Win using 4831 and a Speer 150gr btsp. It works very well with holes in and out. I shot one with a Hornady 130 gr about 175yds through both shoulders but it failed to exit the hide. I prefer the 150gr as it penetrates better on the bigger critters and still shoots point blank to 300yds. I don't get the argument of the 270 vs the 30/06 as there is not enough difference to speak of. And the 270 vs the 280 is a non issue as there is only .007 difference in bullet dia. and the case size is almost identical. How many different bullet weights do you need? My 270 gets only the 150gr Speer as that is all it needs.

skeettx
05-24-2020, 02:56 PM
Well done, you have paid it forward
Great
Mike

davidheart
05-24-2020, 09:37 PM
Thank you all for your comments! I would say the 270 absolutely has less recoil than the 30/06, but that might also be because I'm shooting a 130gr bullet at 2900 with 46gr of powder vs a 168gr bullet at 2750 with 47gr of powder.

I think I'd like to try working up a 150gr load at 2800-2900 eventually, but for now the 130 works perfectly.