PDA

View Full Version : Fixed sight options

richhodg66
05-09-2020, 09:32 AM
Been shooting my .44 Specials quite a bit lately. One of them is a Taurus, can't remember the model number, but a three inch, under lug barrel, pretty beefy little gun which has low profile fixed sights. I like it, but it hits way high with pretty much everything I shoot through it. I shoot a lot at about 20 yards here at the house and this one will group for me 6-8 inches above where the front sight picture is at that distance.

I'm already shooting a pretty lightweight bullet, 429215 with 6 1/2 grains of Unique. Even if I drop that charge, it still hits high for me. I need a taller front sight, but this one is part of the barrel and I'd imagine it would have to be ground off and something else welded on? I'm mainly a rifle shooter and never really looked into handgun sights much.

C.F.Plinker
05-09-2020, 10:14 AM
A quick calculation says that you need to raise the front sight about .025 inches. Can you glue a piece of sheet metal (J.B.Weld is your friend) onto the front sight? Then you could fine tune it with a file. If that works you could solder or weld it for a permanent installation.

richhodg66
05-09-2020, 10:31 AM
A quick calculation says that you need to raise the front sight about .025 inches. Can you glue a piece of sheet metal (J.B.Weld is your friend) onto the front sight? Then you could fine tune it with a file. If that works you could solder or weld it for a permanent installation.

I thought about doing just that, but there really isn't much to attach it to, the front sight comes up to a small point. It really is designed kind of as a belly gun so as not to hang up on anything, even though it's too big and heavy for me to consider as a belly gun.

I think I'm gonna take a closer look at it and see if I cann arrange something like that, at least it would tell me what I could do.

Dorf
05-09-2020, 11:47 AM
What Plinker said. I used the "JB Weld" fix on a M10 Smith to change the poi and it worked very well. Just throw a gob of JBW on top of that front sight, trim it a bit with a file, dab it with a black "marks -a-lot" so it doesn't look quite so "goofy" and you're good to go! Hope this helps. Stan

Win94ae
05-09-2020, 02:44 PM
Shoot light bullets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpO2sPqCFMw

"Dwell time" is going to work the same with your revolver.

Biggin
05-09-2020, 04:33 PM
Not trying to be a smart *** but maybe aim low? I like a 6o'clock hold on most of my guns that's what I used growing up. Whether I was hunting or just plinking I like to see more of the target. I've never been a fan of "taking a fine bead." YMMV ��*♂️

rintinglen
05-09-2020, 06:07 PM
A 180 grain boolit might just be your friend here. As I recall, that would be about 15% lighter than your 429-215. If you decide to go the JB weld route, drill a couple of small (1.0-1.5 mm) holes in the sight to help anchor the epoxy to the sight. Then, once it dries, file it to shape and desired height.

richhodg66
05-09-2020, 08:35 PM
Not trying to be a smart *** but maybe aim low? I like a 6o'clock hold on most of my guns that's what I used growing up. Whether I was hunting or just plinking I like to see more of the target. I've never been a fan of "taking a fine bead." YMMV ��*♂️

What I've been doing and works on a target range, but I don't want to be guessing "is that five inches low or six" when taking field shots, I want to hit where it's aimed.

I have the little Lee 200 grain round nose they used to make, and I'm pretty sure I have the Lyman 180 grain wadcutter mold, but I'd really like to be able to use 240-250 grain bullets like the cartridge is designed around.

RU shooter
05-10-2020, 09:07 PM
Know anybody that's a good witha Tig welder ? Just build the top of the site up little more than you need and filed down to your pet load

Biggin
05-10-2020, 10:34 PM
What I've been doing and works on a target range, but I don't want to be guessing "is that five inches low or six" when taking field shots, I want to hit where it's aimed.

I have the little Lee 200 grain round nose they used to make, and I'm pretty sure I have the Lyman 180 grain wadcutter mold, but I'd really like to be able to use 240-250 grain bullets like the cartridge is designed around.
Point taken.