PDA

View Full Version : Got my first 1911!!!

Tazlaw
05-09-2020, 03:45 AM
Hello all!
I was able to finally get my first 1911. It’s a Springfield Armory, Range Officer, full sized with case, 2 mags, holster, mag holder, and a bunch of paperwork. I did buy one extra mag-can never have tooooo many.
This is supposed to be an entry level competition pistol. At least that’s what the advertisements say. It does have a match grade barrel and a NM (national Match) serial number. If it shoots okay, it’ll be great for my needs. I don’t plan on competition but want at least more accuracy than I’m capable of. (No need to exacerbate my ineptness!) Lol.

JimB..
05-09-2020, 05:03 AM
The Range Officer is a great gun, congrats on the first of many!

NC_JEFF
05-09-2020, 06:32 AM
I've had a GI version colt for nearly 30 years, I love the 1911 platform and it's been more accurate than I expected. That's a nice looking pistol, enjoy it.

DougGuy
05-09-2020, 06:42 AM
You might want to have the barrel throated if you plan on loading .452" for it, very common for these to have near zero freebore from the factory. Danged fine 1911 after that!

tazman
05-09-2020, 06:47 AM
I think you will be happy with it. I have fired several and own one. They all shot well with both jacketed and cast.

nueces5
05-09-2020, 06:53 AM
Beautiful gun, congrats!

daloper
05-09-2020, 07:10 AM
Nice looking gun. Enjoy it.

kbstenberg
05-09-2020, 07:55 AM
I have always wanted a 1911. But i can't justify the price for one.

Petrol & Powder
05-09-2020, 09:00 AM
The 1911 is an iconic platform.
If you haven't already done so, pick up a mold for one of the H&G #68 clones (200gr SWC)

Rich/WIS
05-09-2020, 09:06 AM
Bought my RO seven or eight years ago and until Thursday was the only CF I still had. Was in Bud's in Lexington Ky and bought a RIA two tone tactical. The RO is about as good as it gets unless you really go high end (read $$$). Mine likes the Lee version of the H&G 68, Lee calls it the 452-200 SWC. Didn't like the bevel base so milled the top down to remove it and with range lead is a 190 gr flat base. That bullet has worked well in all the 1911's in the family and if you decide to go that route don't think you will disappointed. The RO came with a good trigger but a quick trip to the local smith turned it into an outstanding trigger. There was really nothing wrong with the trigger as it came from the factory but I admit to being a trigger snob after using guns like the old HS Victor and USGI NM 1911's. I tuned mine for lighter loads to save wear and tear on my arthritic hands and wrists, running 3.1 gr Bullseye with a 10# recoil spring and a 19# hammer spring. Passed the 10K round point several miles back and if it has loosened up can't tell. Did replace the lawyer mainspring housing but that was me, didn't trust the safety lock.

The trigger on the RIA is remarkably good for a production gun, not too heavy, very smooth and reasonably crisp. It sits on my bench now being fitted with a Kimber conversions kit. Bought it just for a dedicated frame for the conversion kit, and went with it because of the trigger rather than something a bit cheaper that would need a trigger job out of the box. As a bonus front strap is grooved, extended safety, flat checkered mainspring housing, grooved trigger with over travel adjustment.

contender1
05-09-2020, 09:49 AM
Congrats on your first 1911 & the choice you made. Those are superb guns!

As a USPSA competitor & Range Officer,, I have had the pleasure of shooting and seeing those guns a fair amount. And remember,, one of the guys who had a lot of input into the design,, is Robbie Leatham. Robbie is also known as "The Great One" BECAUSE of his competition abilities & titles.

BigAlofPa.
05-09-2020, 09:59 AM
Congrats on the new 1911. I started out with one. I now have 10. They are very addicting.:mrgreen:

Tazlaw
05-09-2020, 10:06 AM

I caught this one on a sale. It was $750 plus gooberments tax cut. It was a “gear up” package. I saw several of same pistol without package all the way up to $900. Gallery of guns.com (gungenie) is a great way to shop. You can find dealers close to you and see their prices to shop. I actually didn’t use gun genie on this purchase because the local gun shop had it marked down. Gun genie orders direct from supplier to FFL dealer and they have less than normal transfer costs. Without having to stock the weapon and wait on a sale, the local gun shop can sell it cheaper because he never has to touch it. I am in no way related to galleryofguns or gungenie I just like using their website.

Tazlaw
05-09-2020, 10:07 AM
The 1911 is an iconic platform.
If you haven't already done so, pick up a mold for one of the H&G #68 clones (200gr SWC)

I do have a Lee 200gr swc but have not used it yet. I hope it works well.

Tazlaw
05-09-2020, 10:11 AM
You might want to have the barrel throated if you plan on loading .452" for it, very common for these to have near zero freebore from the factory. Danged fine 1911 after that!

I do want to look at throating the barrel. I looked inside and the lands are sharp and abrupt on the end. I think it will need a bevel.
I have seen some videos of guys doing the throating with a tool from Brownells ($50). Is this something a handy man can do or should I go to a gunsmith? (I can rebuild an engine on a jeep).

Tazlaw
05-09-2020, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys. I’m pretty stoked.

DougGuy
05-09-2020, 10:28 AM
I do want to look at throating the barrel. I looked inside and the lands are sharp and abrupt on the end. I think it will need a bevel.
I have seen some videos of guys doing the throating with a tool from Brownells ($50). Is this something a handy man can do or should I go to a gunsmith? (I can rebuild an engine on a jeep).

You should send it to me, I offer this service, check out the FB page in my signature.. Send a PM for details.

The Manson reamer sold by Brownell's has a .4415" solid pilot on the front of it, which will be probably .001" to .0015" smaller than your bore diameter. This is just enough slop to ensure the throat may not be cut concentric with the bore. A snug fitting pilot is pretty much mandatory for throating an auto barrel if you want it nice and centered. You would need a removable pilot reamer and enough pilots in half thou increments to be able to use the tightest fitting one. Now we are talking almost 3x the $$ of the solid nose reamer.

I put enough freebore in the throat for the boolit to exit the case mouth and be held in the freebore before it engages the leade ins of the rifling. This squares the boolit up with the centerline of the bore, and holds it concentric with the center, these barrels shoot lights out when properly throated. It's much better than short freebore which doesn't sufficiently align the boolit when it exits the expanded case mouth.

Plus, you can expect it to feed any boolit style, seated out as long as you want to, which feeds much better in a 1911 than a short boolit. After throating it will feed anything you can cycle through the magazine, provided they are sized .452"

The photo is of a Range Officer, left is stock factory throat, the right one is after throating:

https://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Cylinder%20Services/1f06c85f-3c7d-434b-9061-ca061af26de9_zps0aqi32iq.jpg (https://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Cylinder%20Services/1f06c85f-3c7d-434b-9061-ca061af26de9_zps0aqi32iq.jpg.html)

tazman
05-09-2020, 11:34 AM

I can vouch for DougGuy's work. I had him do two 1911 barrels for me and they worked perfectly afterwards.

onelight
05-09-2020, 12:57 PM
I have been tempted by the RO many times , looks like a very nice gun.
You did good!

root
05-09-2020, 02:45 PM
I picked up the loaded edition range officer.

Ya made a decent choice for a 1st purchase.

I've owned and own a few 1911's .

Great guns. Then again not many guns i don't like.

Rich

Winger Ed.
05-09-2020, 03:07 PM
Very good.
You'll soon learn why the 1911 platform is still going strong this many years down the road.

Wis Tom
05-09-2020, 10:39 PM
Very nice. Watch out, as once you get one 1911, the collection has a way of growing.

Bazoo
05-09-2020, 10:51 PM
Cool. I carry a milspec every day. Check the ejector to see if it's pinned. Mine was only glued. If it's not pinned keep it in mind and if you ever have to send it in mention it and Springfield will do it for free.

No reason to have it throated unless you're going to go outside the norm for ammo. Round nose ammo or lees TC seated to 1.170 as recommended should chamber fine.

daloper
05-10-2020, 08:39 AM

I had DougGuy do my barrel and had him do my spare also. My RIA 1911 will eat anything now that I try to feed it. Great work and a fair price.

Drm50
05-10-2020, 09:17 AM
Im looking for a 1911 too. I’m not a pilgrim on 1911 but most of my experience with them is GI issue or Colt manufacture. I’ve only ever bought 2 new a 9mm Commander and Gold Cup, in early 70s. I’ve had some of the clones I took on trade, never fired most of them. Now they are like scopes, everybody makes them. Somebody should write a book on 1911 clones.

alamogunr
05-10-2020, 11:01 AM

I had a different reason for posting but it may be of some help to you. There are some inexpensive 1911's out there. The folks on this forum seem to know their stuff.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1016022

P&P posted a recommendation for H&G 68. I've got 2 of Miha's four cavity molds and that is about all I use in my .45 ACP's. Occasionally, I'll try something else but not often. Right now, I've got about 2K stocked up ready for size&lube or PC(if I ever get around to it).

Wayne Smith
05-11-2020, 02:07 PM
I can second the recommendation for DougGuy's work, and it's reasonably priced too.

Forrest r
05-13-2020, 04:18 AM
I'm not taking anything away from dougguy and his work. I've recommended him countless times on other websites, no need here. He has enough people recommending him.

You might consider shooting your ro before you start altering the bbl. I own 2 ro's and both are box stock/as shipped from the factory.
https://i.imgur.com/SWoUbe4.jpg

I bought the 45acp ro 1st. I've owned a lot of 1911's in the past and decided to go with the standard h&g #68 and bullseye powder (3.6gr to 4.0gr ladder testing) to test the accuracy of this nib 1911, it's marked NM after all. Loaded up 20 rounds of .36gr/3.8gr/4.0gr and the h&g #68 with the tried and true 1.250" oal countless 1000's of shooters have used for decades. Well 15 minutes later I had my answer.
https://i.imgur.com/lxO5I66.jpg

That target is not hand/cherry picked by any means, nothing more than the test target used that day to do the initial testing with tht nib ro 1911.

That 10-shot group @ 50ft was shot from a sitting position. Table with wheels and plastic lawn chair using rolled up carboard and a towel for a front rest with a double hand hold rear support.

Liked that ro chambered in 45acp enough that I bought a 2nd ro chambered in 9mm. The 9mm is a lot harder to find accurate loads for. Took 10+ tries to come up with this load.
https://i.imgur.com/N6XBlbc.jpg

Again nothing more then the test target used that day (same table, chair, supports) testing reloads. This is what I consider accurate.

Anyway you might want to spend a little range time with your new ro. You might find it accurate enough right out of the box.

Idaho45guy
05-13-2020, 04:51 AM
Congrats! I get tempted every so often to buy a 1911. I don't own a single one. Have never owned one. I was issued one in the Navy and used it to get qualified on a combat handgun course the Navy made me take.

Just yesterday I was at the LGS and they had a new Kimber in 10mm on sale for $610. Nearly jumped on it. But, I don't need a 1911. My polymer guns do everything better with no fuss or modification and for less money.

Still, there is just something about the 1911.

DHDeal
05-13-2020, 07:31 AM
Congrats! I get tempted every so often to buy a 1911. I don't own a single one. Have never owned one. I was issued one in the Navy and used it to get qualified on a combat handgun course the Navy made me take.

Just yesterday I was at the LGS and they had a new Kimber in 10mm on sale for $610. Nearly jumped on it. But, I don't need a 1911. My polymer guns do everything better with no fuss or modification and for less money.

Still, there is just something about the 1911.

I agree completely with your last sentence!

That 10mm is a different breed of cat though. Not a bad cat, but one that you might not be expecting (it won't use a litter box and it claws ALL of the furniture). I don't own a 10mm myself and don't need that kinda power in a semi, but the aficionados seem to enjoy them. Though I don't own a 10mm 1911, I have played with them.

The standard 1911 45 acp is such an enjoyable pistol to shoot that I don't see a need for any other caliber. That said (I can't even tell that lie without laughing at myself) I have more 9mm 1911 styles in my safe than 45's. I'm one of those knotheads that can't leave well enough alone and usually spend almost the cost of the gun on "upgrades".

Lloyd Smale
05-14-2020, 06:42 AM
yup the range officer would be my first choice in a springfield 1911. Ive shot two of them and both ran great and shot great. Im not a big springfield fan because I got stung on a couple in there earlier days but those range officers are done right.

DHDeal
05-14-2020, 08:40 AM
I got mine many years ago when Springfield was the choice for affordable pistols for building a custom (Colt's were way more $$$). When they started already putting a beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, and Novaks in an affordable package, I pulled out the thin wallet. That pistol was not inaccurate, but I eventually rebuilt it.

The RO is a better gun than mine was as even more of the hard work was done for a very reasonable price. Really, the only thing I would have to do is checker the front strap and under cut the trigger guard (learned how to do that too), but that's my preference.

William Yanda
05-14-2020, 10:41 AM

Have you looked at the Turkish imports?

shdwlkr
05-17-2020, 11:08 AM
the 1911 was the side arm of the Army when I was in and yes I fired one and qualified with it. What they were amazed at it was the first center fire semi auto pistol I had ever fired. Since then I have shot several different companies 1911's never really found a reason to have anything different. My thoughts are if 7-8 rounds won't get the job done you should have really thought things out more. Yes I know that many like the 17 round plus capacity of some pistols but if you need that many shots and police reports points this out what did you really hit and how often. Not knocking the police just how shots do you really need? Yes I am old school and hope to never have to find out I have not enough to the the job done.

FLINTNFIRE
05-17-2020, 11:38 AM
I to agree with the how many shots are needed , it is a good gun , proven and has still stood the test of time , glad to hear you are happy with it , enjoy it .

Drm50
05-17-2020, 11:53 AM
I’m just getting a plain jane 1911 Colt, either standard or commander for a SD pistol. All my handguns are target, except for a Colt NS 455 and a Walther PP 32cal. I only want it because I trust Colt 1911s. I don’t trust the low end clones and don’t see the money for the high end jobs.
It does take a target gun to use at SD ranges, all you need is something you can depend on. I take a lot of harassment because I don’t own any SD type pistols or AR type rifles. I’m not unfamiliar with 1911s or AR/ Aks, etc. I know how to use them I just never was much interested in that type of firearms since I came home from RVn. Have worked on many just not my cup of tea.

Norske
05-17-2020, 12:15 PM
Turkey produces some very good firearms because many of their factories are set up for CNC machining. Cylinder and Slide uses Turkish Browning High Power copies for their custom 9mm pistols. Even the Rock Island 1911's from the Philippines are often quite good. There are very few secrets about properly building 1911's.

DougGuy
05-17-2020, 12:51 PM
Years ago I had a 1943 Colt, slide numbered to the frame, you could plant potatoes in the pits in the bore, and it shook and rattled like they are so well known for, it would keep 7 rounds in about a 6" circle at 50yds, and kick me in the butt for letting it get away, I traded it on a deer rifle that put a whole lot more meat in my freezer than that old Colt ever did, but I missed that ol' girl for years and years.

Fast forward to a few years ago and I came into a Remington Rand slide and I had all the parts to complete a WWII era upper, so I chose an Auto Ordnance lower, the complete lower was on Gunbroker for around $300 and I lapped the slide to the frame and built my own replica of that old Colt. Turned out very pleasing to the eye, period correct, and it groups like a match grade custom costing 4x as much. Now I don't cry over that old Colt anymore..

Edit: When I started this WWII era 1911A1 project, I tried to do it exactly as a military armorer would have done it for our boys headed for D Day, pick a slide and a frame, assemble all the milspec parts to make a working pistol and issue it to a GI, bone stock, as is, no custom work no "gunsmithing" just assemble it and function test it for safety and live fire.

The slide would not go onto the frame so it was necessary to lap the two together. It grouped well the first magazine going into 1 1/2" standing at 10yds, but it shot above the sights so I did swap in a longer barrel link which brought point of impact directly to point of aim. I don't consider this gunsmithing, they made links in various lengths just for this. I do admit to pulling back a tad on the sear spring to lighten the trigger but it's gritty and stiff and absolutely "field" quality.

bigted
05-17-2020, 08:51 PM
All depends on why you carry as to how many rounds it takes to feel "well armed".

Everyday carry for me looks like this,
I live in rural America where there resides no gangs nor tons of drug dealers or users. Murders are rare and because we almost all carry ... not much mugging nor carjackings. Breaking and entry are a thing but not that often and when they do occur ... folks are usually at work. Night breakins are rare as everybody knows that we all have guns handy AND know how to use em. The common knowledge is that we will take care of our problems ... THEN call the law.

If I lived and worked and played in the city, where the likelyhood of encountering groups or gangs ... then my XD 40 with its 13 round count of 40 S&W , would keep me comfortable in the knowledge that with the extra mag ... I would feel well armed. Maybe with the Ruger 17 round as a hideout and backup for a New York reload.

The 1911 is no toy. It still has fangs in every chambering found. It is a heavy, sturdy and solid feeling pistol with the confidence it inspires in carrying it that lets a person know they are armed with a serious defender when an offensive position is required.

Remember ... a good offense is the best defense available. Dont ever let em see your back!!!

Mr_Sheesh
05-19-2020, 12:27 PM
I always figure - if it's a bad enough day that I have to be shooting in anger, best to have plenty of ammo, so I tend to carry 4 mags (1 in pistol.) I figure if 29 rounds doesn't get me out of trouble, I should've stayed in bed that day. (Knees are shot so I can't run away very well, used to just carry 3 mags. Added one because it'll help if needed.) If things get really tense (riots, etc. and I have to go out anyways) I might well carry 7 mags, and maybe a second weapon, Seattlejust plain isn't far enough from me here :p

BigAlofPa.
05-19-2020, 12:45 PM
I had a kaboom with my new 1911 yesterday. It blew the rounds out of the mag. Rest of the gun is fine. And i got some cuts on my face. And a abrasion on my right eye. So be careful please folks.

Drm50
05-19-2020, 01:13 PM
What make of 1911? Is this a pistol problem or a ammo problem?

BigAlofPa.
05-19-2020, 02:01 PM
It's a RIA. I measured the blown casing. It's .872 so way under sammi spec. Also i have to assist the slide closing sometimes. Figured breaking in. I just loaded a mag full of factory ammo. And worked the slide. They chambered real easy. So im thinking tight chamber. I had this issue with my 9mm walther and PT 92. With reloads. A Lee FCD. Took care of the issue. So i just ordered a FCD for 45 acp.

Baltimoreed
05-19-2020, 05:24 PM
Congratz tazlaw, every American shooter should have at least one 1911 in their safe. God bless JMB.
Big, a round should not fire out of battery if not chambered all the way, a correctly working disconnector prevents the hammer from dropping. Check the sear and hammer too. The only other issue could be a sticky firing pin that hit the primer as the case chambered. Tear your pistol down and check them. I use a Lee Bulge Buster because I have pcc’s that beat my brass up and a variety of .45’s that I feed and I want all of my loads to work in any of them. Glad you didn’t get hurt.

StrawHat
05-20-2020, 07:08 PM
The mighty 1911.

I have probably had a dozen trying to get comfortable with them. Hasn’t happened yet. I have owned and tried Colts, ParaOrdnance, Remington, Dan Wesson, a couple of GI 1911s, Caspian, Kimber, and borrowed at least that many more. For some people, or maybe only me, the 1911 just doesn’t click. I love the 45 ACP and have quite a few revolvers so chambered. My EDC is a S&W Model 22-4. But the 1911 package leaves me cold.

I wish you well with yours and hope it fills all your desires. Inmerely post my experiences to let you know that if it doesn’t work for you, you are not alone.

Kevin