PDA

View Full Version : Lee 9mm decap die marked with U

Alvarez Kelly
05-08-2020, 08:12 PM
I recently bought a lot of mixed dies. Included was a Lee 9mm carbide sizing/decap die. It has a random U stamped on one of the wrench flats. Anyone know if this is the infamous Lee U die? Their website says the undersized die is 3 thousands smaller.

Alvarez Kelly
05-08-2020, 09:30 PM
Well... I kept digging online. I found a youtube video of a Lee U die. Sure enough, it had a big U stamped on the side. Still, I figured someone here might have more experience with the Lee undersized die.

onelight
05-08-2020, 10:03 PM
Be easy enough to check if you have a standard 9mm die.

Alvarez Kelly
05-09-2020, 12:14 AM
Be easy enough to check if you have a standard 9mm die.

I don't reload 9mm, so no. Its not easy for ME to check.

JimB..
05-09-2020, 01:15 AM
It’s an undersized die, I have several that I got from an estate. Haven’t ever used any of them.

Carrier
05-09-2020, 01:17 AM
Yup that would be it. I used when I loaded 9mm.

Alvarez Kelly
05-09-2020, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the confirmation Gents. I figured someone here would know.

swmass
05-09-2020, 04:27 AM
It’s an undersized sizing die. I have been using them for a few years. I was having an issue with 38 special and 45acp brass a few years back. When I would size with the normal die, the bullet would have no tension and could easily be pushed into the case by hand. Typically a problem with Remington or thinner brass. The U die gets rid of that problem and allows me to
use mixed brass and ensure there is proper tension on the bullet. Some of the most accurate hand loads I have produced have been with this die. You should have no problems with it.

usbp379
05-09-2020, 10:07 AM
https://www.egwguns.com/undersize-reloading-die-9mm-luger

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

mdi
05-09-2020, 11:02 AM
Just wondering, every problem I've ever had I have been able to work out without resorting to "special" dies. For my 9mm handloads, since 1998, I have often used mixed brass, range pick ups (every kind sold in my area and a few that I've never heard of). I have never had a problem with loose neck tension with several jacketed bullets from 115 to 147 gr, cast lead to .358", plated at .356", PCed and Hi-tek coated at ,356"-.357", and some European military pulls, in any brass I use. I only have 3, 9mm pistols, two of modern American manufacture and one older Tokerev, and every handload I've produced will feed, chamber, fire with zero problems as long as I do the plunk test checking workable OAL. So if one used decent components, why would an undersize die be needed?

Edit on Sunday; not a challenge, or questioning anyone, just want to know. I understand a U die makes the case smaller in diameter, but why? In my experience (above) I have never had the need, or come close to need an undersize case sizing die...