PDA

View Full Version : "Swedish" roof caps?

richhodg66
05-07-2020, 04:49 PM
A lady has advertised some roof caps taken off an old home in a small town about 70 miles from me which was settled by Swedish immigrants and the architecture in the town reflects that in a lot of the building. There was apparently some decorative guttering and other stuff she is going to keep for crafts and such.

She was at work when I talked to her, but I asked her if she could stick a magnet to one when she gets home. Seems like for roof caps they'd have to be some kind of lead alloy, or possibly copper, but the picture in her ad doesn't look like copper. These apparently overlap like scales and are rounded to fit the contour of the roof. She says they're free if someone wants them or else she and her husband will take them to the dump.

It's gonna be enough trouble that I don't want to drive that far just to find out they're galvanized steel, but I think there is a strong possibility it could be something useful. Any ideas what these might be?

Rich/WIS
05-07-2020, 06:11 PM
If it was galvanized steel would expect to see some signs of rust on anything that old. If really old possibly zinc, or maybe REAL TIN!!! There seems to be a slightly greenish tint on the extreme right hand one, possibly a copper alloy. Waiting for an update, curious minds want to know.

richhodg66
05-07-2020, 07:27 PM
I may just have to drive over there and see. Gotta do it soon before she throws it away. It's not too far past the town with my favorite gun shop, so might not be a bad thing to do.

Winger Ed.
05-07-2020, 08:00 PM
I'd sure go check it out.

Lead was common for that sort of thing because it was easy to work with, did a good job, and was cheap.