PDA

View Full Version : Top punches

Acorn
05-06-2020, 08:37 PM
I believe a member here makes and sell top punches. Can anyone give me a name?
Thanks.

ReloaderFred
05-07-2020, 12:14 AM
Check with Lathesmith, either in the Star sub-forum, or in the V/S sub-forum in S&S.

Hoe this helps.

Fred

gwpercle
05-07-2020, 03:26 PM
If you can't find him ...or need one quick ...just custom fit the bullet to whatever punch you have with Epoxy putty . Degrease the punch so the epoxy sticks , grease the boolit so the epoxy doesn't stick, press a small ball of epoxy into cavity and lower punch down on boolit press gently , let harden...presto , custom fit.

If the boolit has a flat spot on it ...WC , SWC , RF , Flat , truncated cone... just use a flat nose punch ...fill the cavity with epoxy , let harden and sand flat...presto , flat punch.

The epoxy can be removed ... I made one 20 years ago and still use it ... I've made many more since because even the store bought ones that should fit never seem to be a perfect fit but a little ball of epoxy putty solves that pesky little annoyance !
Gary

kevin c
05-08-2020, 02:09 PM
^^^

This I've done, using JB Weld. Works great, but I don't know about the "removable" part: I had to use a Dremel to get the epoxy out, and the punch was a bit messed up, good mainly as the starting point for another custom epoxy job. Fortunately, the Dillon punches are cheap and I have extras.

ReloaderFred
05-09-2020, 01:18 AM
You can also use a hot glue gun to form the top punch to the bullet. Just coat the bullet with wax, or some other release agent, and form them together. When I do this, I use my drill press, with the motor not running. It helps with alignment of the bullet and punch.

Hope this helps.

Fred

sharps4590
05-09-2020, 08:18 AM
I used to do what gw described and can vouch that it works great. I say "used to" because about 5 years ago I bought a lathe. Now I just make one. Made one yesterday morning for the RCBS, 168 gr., cast bullet. Took about 20 minutes. Before you ask, no sir, I don't make them for sale....my skills are pretty crude and I'd be embarrassed to make anything for someone.