PDA

View Full Version : Linotype Casting Temp

B R Shooter
05-06-2020, 03:16 PM
I use a pot and ladle, and have a Lyman thermometer in the lead. Just curious why the scale shows lino at temp close to 500, and WW are higher. I try to keep the temp at/around 600, but would I get better results with lino at a lower temp?

Conditor22
05-06-2020, 03:24 PM
the harder alloys have a lower melting temperature than pure lead and COWW.

Casting with linotype I usually go around 670 - 680°

https://i.imgur.com/OnPNr23.png

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-07-2020, 11:32 AM
The rule of thumb is, the "starting point" is to have the alloy (whatever it is) 100ºF above liquidus temperture. Since there are many other factors involved (like how efficient your pot is, your casting rhythm, mold block material, sprue plate design, ambient air temp, wind/fan air flow), so you may need to have a higher alloy temp.

B R Shooter
05-08-2020, 06:52 AM
Great, thanks. I've been in the range while casting. Of course I'm assuming the thermo is reading correctly, but what it shows casts good bullets.

fredj338
05-08-2020, 12:04 PM
The rule of thumb is, the "starting point" is to have the alloy (whatever it is) 100ºF above liquidus temperture. Since there are many other factors involved (like how efficient your pot is, your casting rhythm, mold block material, sprue plate design, ambient air temp, wind/fan air flow), so you may need to have a higher alloy temp.
^^^THIS^^ I used to cast from lino when I got it really cheap back in the day, it cast beautiful boolits. I would run it at 600deg. Today it is mostly range scrap @ 725deg.