PDA

View Full Version : One thing or another

fatelk
05-06-2020, 01:29 AM
If it's not one thing, it's another. I'm hesitant to post about troubles, because in all reality we have it pretty good, and I read daily of those here who have it so much worse.

We are very much concerned about my 14yo son. He's had an autoimmune disease since he was 3, and has been on an expensive "biologic" medication for a long time. It's a miracle drug that lets him live a normal life, but there is a warning that comes with it, about the possibility of a slight increase in risk of some types of cancers, such as lymphoma. The dr assures us that the risk is slight, and some studies suggest it's actually the disease itself that causes the increased risk, and not the medication.

Either way, tomorrow he goes in for a scan of a swollen lymph node, to check for lymphoma. His tonsils are also swollen to the point where the dr says they really need to come out, so it's most likely that the lymph node is simply related to that. We probably worry too much. Assuming it's not the worst, he'll still go in for surgery probably next week. It worries me to have an immune-compromised child in the hospital at a time like this. I hope they're over-the-top with their precautions at the hospital.

On top of that, my wife needs surgery on her foot, originally scheduled for next week, but now we're waiting to reschedule. After that, there's no guarantee that I'll have a job in six months, depending on what direction the virus and economy take. We can deal with that, take it as it comes, but my son's health is on the top of our minds right now, all else is secondary.

Anyhow, thanks everyone for listening to me ramble. I appreciate you all's prayers.

Bazoo
05-06-2020, 02:18 AM
Prayers sent for your concerns.

augercreek
05-06-2020, 05:22 AM
All mighty God knows your need and is there to help ! We too will pray to God for healing and comfort.

Teddy (punchie)
05-06-2020, 05:31 AM
God Bless!!

Boaz
05-06-2020, 07:06 AM
Prayer is sent for all of you in a trying time . Will continue in prayer , please let us know how he is doing after the procedure .

Wayne Smith
05-06-2020, 07:34 AM
Prayers for your son and the MD's. Remember our kids are God's -he just lets us borrow them for a while. Praying also for your wife's process and the medical decisions involved there.

USMC87
05-06-2020, 09:10 AM
I can relate to your post, I have autoimmune Psoriasis and Psoriatic arthritis. I have been on methotrexate that gave me floaters in my eyes, enbrel for 6 months, humira for 12 years and now cosentix. We are praying for your son and family as a whole, May God give you comfort and peace.

fatelk
05-06-2020, 02:12 PM
Thanks everyone. He's been on Humira for 10 years now. We've always worried about the potential side effects, and I think the Humira is the only reason they're checking for lymphoma. At least I hope that's all it is.

I've always hear the saying "When it rains, it pours", and it really seems to be that way doesn't it? Someone told me once that when times are good, when everything is going well in your life and everything's right with the world, don't start thinking that that's normal, and the way things will be forever. Those are the good times, the highs, time to recharge and take in the goodness in preparation for the tough times that will inevitably come.

Scrounge
05-06-2020, 02:17 PM
Some more prayers for you and your family.

Bill

Pine Baron
05-06-2020, 04:39 PM
Fatelk. Just to let you know, there is always an end to all storms. Prayers for your son, your wife and for you.

fatelk
05-08-2020, 05:31 PM
CT scan shows multiple enlarged lymph nodes. They’re going to remove and biopsy one.

Bazoo
05-08-2020, 05:42 PM
Will keep him and your family in thought and prayer.

Boaz
05-09-2020, 06:40 AM
Still praying fatelk . With the virus , economic problems and everything else going on that seems to complicate most all situations GOD is still in control .

Blackwater
05-09-2020, 06:09 PM
Though it's the most difficult thing in the world to do, turning it over to Christ is what we're supposed to do, and always seems to be the best way to deal with it in the end. Tomorrow is promised to none among us, even the young. But God has given you a gift in this child, and one you can learn much from if you really trust the Lord. He is NOT some big sugar daddy in the sky who waves a magic wand and grants us our every wish. He is, though, a just and merciful God, who gives us what we NEED, whether we want it or not. He knows so very much more and better than we do. But it's really hard to turn your loved ones over to the Lord's care. We like to think WE can control and protect them, but that's simply make believe on our part. You need to pray for this wonderful young man, and pray earnestly and often, and then, just turn it over to Christ, where it rightfully resides anyway. God be with you all, and may this young man receive the best of care, and be healed. Amen.

WRideout
05-12-2020, 09:19 PM
I too have been in the disaster of the week club. Things do eventually get better, but it is very hard to see that far into the future. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Wayne

fatelk
05-12-2020, 10:45 PM
Thanks everyone. Surgery will be Thursday afternoon.

GhostHawk
05-13-2020, 06:39 AM
As bad as my storm was, and it was bad. It seems to have ended with a mostly positive outcome. Which I attribute to the many prayers Cindy and I recieved from the good brothers here. Cindy was actually able to go do her favorite thing 2 days ago. Spent an hour at the second hand store browsing. Cost me 15$ and another 12 for supper at the local DQ. Very good outing for her. She is walking better every day. Has some minor issues with her rear being numb and not having control over everything.

Cindy and I will be praying for you and yours.

Boaz
05-13-2020, 06:49 AM
More prayer for a successful result and healing . Please give an updated report later .

Pine Baron
05-13-2020, 07:15 AM
Praying for an outcome that reveals God's will.

Wayne Smith
05-13-2020, 07:21 AM
Praying for your son and his doctors. God is in charge, weather we like it or not.

fatelk
05-17-2020, 03:25 AM
Surgery went well, lymph node is out to pathology. Dr. said in his experience it was quite unlikely that we have anything to worry about. I wish I was able to not worry the way I do. Having been through the "big C" before, any talk along those lines tends to really hit my panic button.

Boaz
05-17-2020, 06:49 AM
I'm glad to hear it went well with a good prediction for the future . More prayer sent and thank you for a good report .

Pine Baron
05-17-2020, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the update fatelk, waiting is the hardest part. Praying for a good outcome.

fatelk
05-20-2020, 12:01 AM
A big thank you once again to all you guys, for all your prayers and encouragement. The doctor called today with the news from pathology that it was clean, not lymphoma. That's what we were waiting to hear, and a big relief. He's healing up nicely and should be his old self within a few days.

Boaz
05-20-2020, 06:31 AM
Good deal ! Hoping for fast healing and complete recovery .

Pine Baron
05-20-2020, 07:57 AM
Good news! Thank God for answered prayers.