PDA

View Full Version : The Gospel according to Luke

dtknowles
05-05-2020, 01:00 AM
Luke 10:25-28 ESV
25 And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" 26 He said to him, "What is written in the Law? How do you read it?" 27 And he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself." 28 And he said to him, "You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live."

By the words of Jesus, Love God and love your neighbor and thru these acts you can inherit eternal life.

Tim

Ickisrulz
05-05-2020, 01:27 PM
For the Christian, "eternal life" means life with God after we die. We understand we are saved through God's redeeming grace in order to live forever.

However, for the Jew in Jesus' time the phrase "eternal life" was understood as a fulfilling, complete life; a life worth living here on earth. This is the way the rabbis of the time used the term.

Jesus was not saying a man can live forever with God as a reward for doing good works. He was saying a man can have a good life here on earth by living to please God and by loving his fellow man. When it came to payment for our sins, Jesus himself said his sacrifice would save man.

dtknowles
05-05-2020, 08:44 PM
Thanks, that is clarifying.

So nobody before Jesus' death had a life with God after they died?

The only people who go to heaven are Christians?

Tim

Ickisrulz
05-05-2020, 10:21 PM
Thanks, that is clarifying.

So nobody before Jesus' death had a life with God after they died?

The only people who go to heaven are Christians?

Tim

Old Testament saints were saved because of their faith. The mechanism of their salvation was the work of Christ even though it had not been accomplished yet.

dtknowles
05-07-2020, 12:47 AM
Ok, if you say so.

Tim

Gobeyond
05-16-2020, 07:19 PM
In ot times everybody went to Sheol when died. Jesus went there when He died and preached the messiah to them. If they believed they went to heaven. But yes believers in Jesus from every religion and walk of life will get to go to heaven. If you only had a bible believing church you could trust and studied you would see the truth unfold.

Gobeyond
05-16-2020, 07:22 PM
No one can obey that scripture in Luke 10 without the Holy Spirit whom you get from believing in Jesus and asking.

sparkyv
05-16-2020, 10:34 PM
Ickisrulz, you've got this exactly right.

Jesus was not saying a man can live forever with God as a reward for doing good works. He was saying a man can have a good life here on earth by living to please God and by loving his fellow man. When it came to payment for our sins, Jesus himself said his sacrifice would save man.

Old Testament saints were saved because of their faith. The mechanism of their salvation was the work of Christ even though it had not been accomplished yet.

wmitty
05-21-2020, 12:43 AM
A man must first be born of the Spirit of God before he can see his need to come to Christ and be healed of his sin and rebellion before His Creator. Jn 3v3

Hickory
05-21-2020, 12:59 AM
You're poor little sheep who have lost your way, baaaa, baaaa, baaaa.

Wayne Smith
05-21-2020, 07:44 AM
God stands outside of time - in fact He invented time. We are limited by linear time and don't understand those things that are not so limited. This - the salvation of OT saints, is a classic example of that. That of which we cannot conceive is simple for God.

Ickisrulz
05-21-2020, 02:59 PM
God stands outside of time - in fact He invented time. We are limited by linear time and don't understand those things that are not so limited. This - the salvation of OT saints, is a classic example of that. That of which we cannot conceive is simple for God.

I have heard this proposed before, but I am not sure of it. If you do one thing before another isn't that time? I would think that would apply to God as well.

Of course I don't understand how eternity past exists and I suppose the idea that God stands outside of time is an explanation.

Ickisrulz
05-21-2020, 03:00 PM
You're poor little sheep who have lost your way, baaaa, baaaa, baaaa.

Who are you addressing or referring to?

Hickory
05-22-2020, 05:29 AM
Who are you addressing or referring to?

It would take too long to explain what I meant and would not be well received by those for whom it was intended.

Blackwater
06-02-2020, 04:23 PM
Why would this passage elicit a question? It's a statement, and a pretty definitive one at that. It's so simple. Why do we so often seek to complicate what's so elementally simple???