PDA

View Full Version : Range day with some revolvers

tazman
05-05-2020, 12:19 AM
I finally got to the range for the first time in too long. I took three revolvers with me. An S&W 686+ 7 shot 6 inch, a model 14 6 inch, and a Ruger Security Six 6 inch.
I had a variety of ammo with me but was mostly just trying out some loads I made up recently.
I had some wadcutters loaded as well as some RNFP 125 grain, and some Lyman 358311 round nose.
I was shooting well(for me) and had a good time.
The wadcutters did okay. Nothing spectacular but good. The RNFP about the same. The round nose shot really great. Not only great, but they did so in all three handguns.
Usually, I will have a load work well in one gun and not so much in another, especially with the three revolvers I had with me. Not today.
I used to really love that round nosed boolit but got away from it in recent years. Now I wonder why I did that.

I normally shoot groups around 3 inches at 10-13 yards. That's what I was doing with the other loads.
Those round nose were right at 2 inches in all three guns.
I am going to have to make up more of those. I only loaded a box of 50 to try out.
Nothing special about the load. 3.5 of Bullseye with the boolit crimped in the crimp groove. It just works for me.
I guess sometimes the old tried and true is called that for a reason.

Bazoo
05-05-2020, 12:58 AM
Sounds like some serious fun. Pretty sweet to find a load that works well in a variety of firearms.

I'm doing some experimenting with the RCBS 38-150-SWC with a borrowed mould. That's a fine looking bullet! Only thing I have right now that will accept it is the wife's 686. I got a nice load worked up with the lee 358-140-SWC. It will do something like 1" at 15 yards. Maybe I could get it better but I ran out of HP-38 so now I'm working up unique loads. Fine by me, to have loads worked up with various powders is beneficial in hard times.

onelight
05-05-2020, 01:29 AM
Sounds like a real good time glad you got out.
I don't know why but I tend to avoid round nose bullets but one of the best shooting bullets in my 32s is a round nose Saeco I should try some in other calibers.

Teddy (punchie)
05-05-2020, 05:25 AM
thanks for posting

georgerkahn
05-05-2020, 07:55 AM
Congrats on 1/ your fine firearms; 2/ your getting to the range and shooting; and, 3/ your great marksmanship. Many, many years ago I purchased a stainless Security Six with a 2 3/4" barrel, simply because I fell in love with its looks. A few weeks thereafter it accompanied me, in a group of four, on a remote fishing trip. Believe it or not, in the "middle of nowhere", a Styrofoam coffee cup was IN a tree -- probably four or five meters above ground -- at about 20 meter distance -- when "Tom" voiced, "Ten bucks says you can't hit it!". A once in a zillion event -- I put a .357" hole in the cup! -- a memory I'll never forget :). In all the revolvers I've owned through the years -- there has always been a sweet spot for the Security Six!
geo

2shot
05-05-2020, 09:59 AM
358311 is my go to for accuracy over 3.0 grains of Bullseye and seated to the front driving band in R-P 38 Special brass crimped to .372. 50 yard X ring accuracy in my M-14, M-66 and M-28.

2shot

LAH
05-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Nothing special about the load. 3.5 of Bullseye with the boolit crimped in the crimp groove. It just works for me.
I guess sometimes the old tried and true is called that for a reason.

I'd like to have a nickle for every time that charge has been used here. Like you said a tried & true friend.

FLINTNFIRE
05-05-2020, 10:15 PM
Tazman , Shame on you having such fun in these terrible trying times . Seriously , hey now I want to drag the revolvers out and go shoot , but alas I am stuck at work for 10 more days .

I have some wadcutter molds , but have been casting and loading the swc and round nose and letting the wadcutters gather dust , just like my Smith and Wessons .

Been shooting the single actions more then anything lately , but your post brings out the feelings for double actions , have to ask the kids if they want to go shoot when I get home.

tazman
05-05-2020, 11:14 PM
Tazman , Shame on you having such fun in these terrible trying times . Seriously , hey now I want to drag the revolvers out and go shoot , but alas I am stuck at work for 10 more days .

I have some wadcutter molds , but have been casting and loading the swc and round nose and letting the wadcutters gather dust , just like my Smith and Wessons .

Been shooting the single actions more then anything lately , but your post brings out the feelings for double actions , have to ask the kids if they want to go shoot when I get home.

By all means, ask the kids to shoot! I can't think of a more worthwhile thing to do.

I have several other handguns but it seems I always come back to the revolvers. Nothing like an old friend to spend some time with.

FLINTNFIRE
05-06-2020, 12:09 AM
I to always come back to revolvers , lose interest in one shooting style or firearm , but sooner or later the call of the wheelguns gets a man .
Kids I am thinking of are the oldest son at 27 and the son in law about the same age , daughter got my Ruger sp101 so son in law shoots that as his only wheelgun , son got my model 19 with 6 inch barrel marked sheriff on frame .

Youngest kids are 8,9,10 the youngest son at 8 went camping with me last month and likes the Uberti in 32-20 .
10 year old daughter calls the one 1911 , the 911 gun and says she wants it , I will take them out with the wheelguns and some 38 special to see how they like them.

rintinglen
05-06-2020, 12:24 PM
I am envious, we are still in lock down mode, and my wife is in the very high risk group.
My guns are sitting in safes, my reloading equipment in boxes, my life on hold. Democrats, killing us to save us.

tazman
05-06-2020, 12:31 PM
For some reason, even though our governor is a democrat and anti gun, he didn't close down gun shops and ranges. When asked why by the media, he said he was following President Trump's guidelines.
Personally, I was amazed by that. I finally got around to taking advantage of it.

FLINTNFIRE---- It doesn't matter how old your children get, they are still your kids.

tankgunner59
05-06-2020, 12:35 PM
Sounds like a great day all around, congrats. I have a Taurus 627 Tracker in 357 with a 6.5 inch barrel. Right after I bought it we were at the in laws place outside of town. My FIL had just replaced their toilet and had the old one sitting in his junk pile out behind the house about 100 yards. When ever we went to shoot he would get out one of his guns, this time it was his new Heritage arms 44 Mag. We were about 50 yards from the junk pile and he tried from three different positions, two supported, to hit the toilet tank. I felt kinda bad when I took aim with my Taurus, one handed unsupported and shattered it in one shot. Talk about your chest getting pumped up. [smilie=w:

tankgunner59
05-06-2020, 12:38 PM
For some reason, even though our governor is a democrat and anti gun, he didn't close down gun shops and ranges. When asked why by the media, he said he was following President Trump's guidelines.
Personally, I was amazed by that. I finally got around to taking advantage of it.

FLINTNFIRE---- It doesn't matter how old your children get, they are still your kids.

Yeah tazman, I was surprised too. I went to the local Game Masters Outdoor and they were waiting on people curbside, you couldn't go in. I wouldn't want to buy a gun that way but all I was after was some SPP's and some powder. The other two local shops were open for business. I was surprised Putzker actually didn't close them.

onelight
05-06-2020, 01:15 PM

You are right again Taz .
One of mine is a aeronautical engineer and the other is an independent insurance agent with his own agency , and we still worry about them like we did when they were school kids . They could both take better care of us than we could them.:veryconfu
Your kids are always you kids. God is good.

FLINTNFIRE
05-06-2020, 11:42 PM
True they are always our children , always good to go shooting with them also .