PDA

View Full Version : Adding iron sights to Century Coach Shotgun

djryan13
05-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Trying to get this thing to hit steel at 100 yards with black powder round ball. My old eyes just need a little more. Any thoughts on drilling an tapping the rail for better sights? The bead is useless.

RU shooter
05-03-2020, 01:10 PM
Should be a simple task as the rib is flat tricks gonna Be to see how regulated the two barrels are to each other easy enough to sight in with just one barrel

cwtebay
05-03-2020, 11:54 PM
Have you thought about a red dot sight? Might be a bit less effort on the mounting side. And the barrel regulation is a very real hurdle to overcome, but can be dealt with by a clever smith.
Please let us know how this project goes!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

djryan13
05-04-2020, 09:45 AM
Have you thought about a red dot sight? Might be a bit less effort on the mounting side. And the barrel regulation is a very real hurdle to overcome, but can be dealt with by a clever smith.
Please let us know how this project goes!

Gosh... I figured I was committing sacrilege by adding irons for this Coach gun...

While I love red dots (better than irons for my eyes), I think the folks at the rifle club will laugh at me shooting black powder round ball with a red dot. :(

pietro
05-04-2020, 10:33 AM

I just compute the correct front/rear sight heights, then epoxy them to the gun.

I've never had one come off when shooting, but they are easy enough to remove - since the epoxy softens/melts with a focused low heat (not hot enough to effect the shotgun's rib soldering).

Nobody laughs at what another gun club member here uses - they might just "accidently" get a shot placed near them. :holysheep

dverna
05-04-2020, 10:48 AM
You can attach sights temporarily using something like Goop. My buddy uses it to test out different ribs on his Trap guns. It holds up well but comes off easily if you want to try something different.

Once you know your sight option works, you can use an epoxy for a more permanent attachment if you wish, or drill and tap.

I doubt you will have much accuracy at 100 yards with a RB so you may regret screwing up the gun until you are sure whatever sight you use will work and meet your expectations. Barrels have a minimal chance of being regulated but not a big deal. Sight in for the primary barrel and know your Kentucky windage for the second shot.

BTW, I attached an EoTech to my old K-80 for testing as I had one lying around. One of the lighter and smaller sights will have less mass and be easier to mount.

Gray Fox
05-04-2020, 11:04 AM
I have used a set of the fire sight front and rear turkey hunting sights that clamp to the rib with set screws with great success on a 20 ga coach gun. Got way lucky and 3" slugs hit 2" apart horizontally to point of aim at 25 yards. Poor man's lion charge stopper. GF

Texas by God
05-04-2020, 01:26 PM
It's a Chinese shotgun- sacrelige doesn't translate- lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

cwtebay
05-04-2020, 01:48 PM
Gosh... I figured I was committing sacrilege by adding irons for this Coach gun...

While I love red dots (better than irons for my eyes), I think the folks at the rifle club will laugh at me shooting black powder round ball with a red dot. :(I got over what other fellas think at the range quite a while ago, but I understand your reservation!

Drm50
05-04-2020, 02:31 PM
I have no experience with Century Coach gun but I have cut off 4 doubles intended for slug guns.
3 12g and a 20g. All were American made run of the mill like 311 Stevens/ Savage. None of them came close to shooting close to same point of impact with slugs. I think if you got one that did shoot, it would be a fluke. So it don’t matter what sight system you go with. The hold off would be ridiculous at 100yds.

djryan13
05-04-2020, 03:22 PM
Definitely not too worried about barrel differences. I don’t mind making it a single shot for this application. Gun club only allows steel at 100 (at least for this caliber), so best I can do unfortunately and that’s all this gun is really for.

country gent
05-04-2020, 08:46 PM
I would definitely recommend using epoxy to test them first. A blade and buckhorn rear should work you could also use a set up like on the dangerous game rifles. Even more interesting would be a tang mounted rear and front globe