PDA

View Full Version : RCBS or Hornady .260 Creedmore expander plug measurement needed.

Shuz
05-02-2020, 10:24 AM
.260 Remington,.264 Winchester or 260 Grendell would prolly be the same. I'm trying to determine if that size expander plug will fit inside a .250 Savage case and thus expand the neck greater than I get with the .250 Savage expander. The Lyman "M" expander plug is too small in diameter to expand my necks to seat .2594 boolits. Bullets pulled after seating measure .256-.257 where the boolit is held by the neck. Any other solutions, such as perhaps a .264 Lyman expander plug for the Lyman would be appreciated.

sigep1764
05-02-2020, 11:53 AM
https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/expanders/expander-plug-rifle/263-x-259-exp-plug
This is how I expand the case necks of rifle brass. Goes inside the Lee Universal Expander Die. The die and the plug are cheaper than a single Lyman M die plug. Plus, M die plugs are only available in certain popular sizes. NOE makes them for everything.

Shuz
05-02-2020, 01:10 PM
So far I have resisted buying the Lee expander die since I have a lot of the Lyman expander plugs which are not compatible with the Lee type expander offered by NOE.

sigep1764
05-02-2020, 02:25 PM
You make a good point. However, they are just tools. Might as well have all of them! Either way, they are both great paths to take.

Shuz
05-03-2020, 10:05 AM
I found another "way to skin the cat". I set the Hornady neck sizing die such that the neck was not touched by the die, but the expander with the decapping pin was way down so the the old primer was punched out. Next I set the "M" die with the .257 expander plug in it so that it just barely flared the neck, then to the powder die to fill the case with 14.3g of Rel 7, and on to the 4th die, the seat die, that was screwed out far enuf so that the flare was removed as the seating stem set the boolit. Low and behold, when I pulled a boolit, the dimension was .259 to .260 just like I wanted. Now to see how they shoot.