PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Handles

jjamna
11-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Will Lee 2 cav handles work on a RCBS 2 cav Mold?

If so how do you get the Lee off of its cavity's?

I have a bad Lee mold and I need a Handle for a RCBS and it will save me from buying one If It will work.
Just looking at them they look like they will work. That is just eyeballing them though.

Thanks Guys

GLL
11-24-2008, 06:25 PM
The LEE 6-cavity handles work just fine on the RCBS with very minor modification.

Jerry

Buckshot
11-25-2008, 02:06 AM
................The legs of the Lee 2 cav handles are way too thin. Your RCBS blocks would be flopping all over the place. And that's AFTER you spent time altering them to even fit the block attachment screws. As GLL said, get a set of the Lee 6 cav handles.

.................Buckshot

montana_charlie
11-25-2008, 02:04 PM
As GLL said, get a set of the Lee 6 cav handles.
Looking through the Midway sale flyer yesterday...Lee 6-cav handles for $11.40.

jjamna
11-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Thanks Buckshot and Montana Charlie, you too Gll.
That is what I needed to know. Because it will be best to go ahead and order a pair. I think I will go ahead and get RCBS.
I thought I might get some use from the bad mold I have.

largecaliberman
12-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Also, lee 6 cavity handles works fine with 2 and 4 cacity Lyman molds.

Russel Nash
12-05-2008, 12:45 AM
^^^ Oh really??

If so, that's good info to know.

I have 4 Lyman 4 cavity moulds now and just one set of Lyman handles.

So if I ever wanted to run two moulds at a time, sounds like I can just by the Lee 6 banger mould handles.

Sweet!!! :-D

Jon K
12-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Russel,

Lyman 4 Cav blocks have a narrow slot, the Lyman 4 Cav Handle jaw thickness is .243" and the Lee 6 Cav Handle jaw thickness is .311"..........DO THE MATH.

Jon

vanilla_gorilla
12-05-2008, 01:24 AM
Mmmm buddy! I only had to take about 6 thousandths off for my Lee handles to fit my RCBS mould, but doing that with my regular old bastard file wound up being a real job. I probably spent the better part of an hour getting it squished down enough to fit that mould. Laziness finally took over, and once it was "close" I squeezed them in and made do with a tight fit.

I intend to only use one or two other moulds anyway, so I'll just buy another set of handles.

mtgrs737
12-05-2008, 01:41 AM
KAL is working on perfecting his Lyman 4 cavity mould handles now, I would guess that they will be ready very soon, and I can tell you they will be worth waiting for! He sent me a prototype for testing and they are nice!!! Just like his Lyman 1&2 and his RCBS sized handles. He is also working on Lee six cavity handles but I don't know when they will be ready. Wait for the Lyman 4 cavity handles, and you will be rewarded with the finest mould handles made! They are a real joy to use compared to either of the Lyman offerings.

DLCTEX
12-05-2008, 06:40 AM
To answer your question about removing Lee handles from the molds, use a drill bit to remove the crimp that keeps the pins from backing out. The pin can be tapped in deeper to give clearence for the bit. Then lube the pins with oil or WD-40 and tap the mold with a Plastic or rawhide mallet to remove the pins with inertia. To reset the pins, use a punch just larger than the pin, or if you want to repeat the removal often, drill and tap through the side for a set screw.

shotman
12-05-2008, 08:35 AM
jon some do the newer ones the lee 6cav work great. all the 2cav Lyman will work with lee handles and rcbs will too.

Jon K
12-05-2008, 09:32 AM
jon some do the newer ones the lee 6cav work great. all the 2cav Lyman will work with lee handles and rcbs will too.

Please read my post........it refers to Lyman 4 Cavity moulds NOT 2 CAVITY moulds, which have a larger slot.
Russel is talking about using Lee 6 cavity handles with Lyman 4 Cavity mould.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Jon

jameslovesjammie
12-06-2008, 01:30 PM
I am cheap. I use Lee 6 cavities on everything. If they don't fit, I modify them. The fit perfect on my Lyman single cavities and Saeco 2 cavity, but had to enlarge the holes to fit the Saeco 4 cavity and had to take the disc grinder to them and enlarge the holes to make them fit a brand new (made in October) Lyman 4 cavity.

Lyman handles are $30, Saeco are $35, and RCBS are $38. I can get roughly 3 sets of Lee handles. If I have to spend 15 mins modifying them, I am still ahead handle wise.

Russel Nash
12-10-2008, 09:34 PM
thanks John K!

:drinks: