PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Lyman All American Comet press

strangwn
11-24-2008, 03:01 PM
I have acquired a Lyman All American Comet press. It is a heavy duty(14 lb and 1" ram) C-type, uses J shell holders, and Lyman says they no longer make parts. How common are these presses? Is anyone using them and, if so, what are the pros and cons? Is it best to shop around for J-type shell holders, or just buy the converter? My press has the primer arm and small primer punch. The primer punch itself looks somewhat familiar. Could it be the same punch used on any modern Lyman presses? Should I be able to find a large punch? The primer arm may be unique to the Comet, but it is in good shape.

Ben
11-24-2008, 03:26 PM
I think all your questions are answered in this post.

Thanks,

Ben

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33776

Here is the shell holder conversion :

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=758282&t=11082005

Once you purchase the above shell holder conversion to use standard modern shell holders, you'll also need this T - Punch to seat primers ( comes with both large and small punches in the package )

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=779142&t=11082005

shotman
11-25-2008, 03:47 AM
you may have a problem with the length of the primer seat pin if you use the j to x converter. the primer punch that is on the All American is not the swing type. The j holders are around I have several and you cand modify then to fit you need rick

Bret4207
11-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Get the converter. I prime with a seperate tool.

strangwn
11-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks Ben and shotman. I am inclined for now to stay with the J holders, but that leaves me without a large primer punch. The small punch that I have does not seem to disassemble or be able to convert to large primer. I guess I need the entire pin.

strangwn
11-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Bret4207,
I can prime separately, but would like to have a complete Comet in case I want to sell it or pass it along.

Pressman
11-25-2008, 12:25 PM
The Lyman primer punches are common. I have several extras that I will share. I do not like using shellholder adapters as they can effect ram stroke, actually shortening the stroke at the very top where you need the power. J shellholders are not to hard to find either. Ebay is a good source searching the reloading press catagory.
Ken
herters@netins.net

strangwn
11-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks Pressman. Sending PM.

strangwn
11-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Pressman,
I am repeating some of what I put in the PM for the benefit of others interested in the subject.
Thanks for your offer to share some punches. I am still not clear about the availability(new) of the punches for the Comet. Also not clear about which other Lyman presses use this same punch. The picture of the punch(at Midway) to be used with the J to X converter looks like the punch(small) that I have now. Mine appears to be the proper punch to use with the J holder. Is the J to X converter punch simply longer than the one that I have?

dragonrider
11-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I would also stay with the J type shell holders and aquire a couple of new primer punches. You are correct in that they don't come apart, you need one of each size.

Pressman
11-26-2008, 01:20 PM
The priming punches fit the Tru-Line Jr. press, The Comet and the All American turret press. All three use the J type shellholder as does the Tru-Line Sr and Ezy Loader press but those presses do use a different type priming system.

strangwn, I have your address and will get the punches in the mail asap.
Ken

strangwn
11-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks dragonrider and thanks again Pressman. Don't I need to send you some money?

Bob Maerdian
11-26-2008, 09:33 PM
I've got one of those presses. I've had part of the priming post come off and lost the spring and cup that held the primer on the post. That's OK as I use a Lee priming tool... it's much faster and easier.

The press works well. It is not too strong, don't try case forming or swaging on it. I find it great for small cases that tend to tip and get hung up on die bottoms.

Bob 11B50

Pressman
11-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Strangwn, I put a package in the mail yesterday. Post Office should have it there in a week or so. hopefully? Inside is a note with what I am asking for the punches. Send payment when you get time.
Happy turkey Day to EVERYONE!!!
Ken

shotman
11-28-2008, 04:20 AM
The conversion set you can change the primeing pin on the shaft the old style there is a small and large. The conversion is a PAIN if you load 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag type cases. sm

strangwn
12-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Pressman,
I sent you some money for the primer punches. Thanks for your help and generosity.

mikenbarb
12-02-2008, 06:38 PM
I have a shell holder adaptor if your in need of one. Shoot me a pm if your interested in it. I think I still may have a few J shell holders also and a couple priming rod assemblies for it.

strangwn
12-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Mikenbarb,
I'm in good shape now with priming, thanks to Pressman, but I may be interested in some J-holders if you have details and prices.