PDA

View Full Version : Broken de-cap pin

Big Dipper
04-30-2020, 08:18 PM
Well I use a Lee collet neck sizer die on a Forester Co-Ax to de prime and size 375 H&H. I have broken the de-cap pin twice. I have five or six other Lee collet neck sizer dies in other calibers and only happyness. I was able to pull the broken pin out and drill alittle deeper. I have replacement pins in my stash box. The fit is good however I need to secure the pin in the hole. I am thinking blue loctite, J B weld, super glue. Any one have a good idea?

Moleman-
04-30-2020, 08:27 PM
I use the red loctite. When you break the replacement pin, just heat it up and the broken pin will pop out from the burning loctite. Then it's just a little cleanup of the hole with a drill twisted by hand and loctite in the next pin.

Big Dipper
04-30-2020, 08:33 PM
I'll do that. I was thinking blue would be easier the next time but it will be easy to get heat on it. Thanks

country gent
05-01-2020, 09:27 AM
Blue red or green loctite. This is a no force hold. Once the pin is in there is almost no pull on it. wipe the pin with the locktite and assemble making sure its seated all hte way to the bottom of hole for full support. A light press fit would work as well Maybe better even.

Shawlerbrook
05-01-2020, 12:39 PM
Agreed ! Clean and degrease parts good and any loctite should work fine.

Big Dipper
05-01-2020, 12:57 PM
Thanks guys, I cleaned parts used green loctite and clamped in my vice. I'll try it tomorrow. I wonder why I am breaking this pin twice?

Moleman-
05-01-2020, 05:56 PM
I break a lot of them with berdan primers or primer pocket issues like off center holes, small holes in large pockets, inside of hole is shaped like a volcano, pebble/obstruction in case.

Winger Ed.
05-01-2020, 06:30 PM
I wonder why I am breaking this pin twice?

I've bent/broken a couple by being in a hurry and not pushing the case into the shell holder far enough.