PDA

View Full Version : The best way I know of to find a lost item

Winger Ed.
04-30-2020, 07:07 PM
Last night, after I got a 5.56 case stuck in the sizer die,
and destroyed my new carbide expander & decap rod getting it out:

I figured I could just do something else.
I looked around to find my double end deburring tool and clean primer crimps, and do the necks.

It was gone. I about tore up the shop looking for the thing.
It wasn't in the lathe where I use it, not on the bench, not in the cabinet in the old cigar box of other little stuff.

So, I went in and ordered a new one along with a new decap rod & expander.
Filled out the form, paid, hit 'submit order',
and went back to the shop to see what other expensive tools I could destroy.

There it was. In a place I'd already looked about 8 times.

So, I give you a bit of wisdom from Winger Ed.---
The best way to find a lost object is to buy a new one to replace it.

Bazoo
04-30-2020, 07:31 PM
Tearing stuff up is just icing on the cake eh?

I once lost the little ball detent out of an HKS speedloader. Looked all over the floor and couldn't find it. Weeks went by, the wife keeping any eye out for it, but going about vaccumming and sweeping as normal. I was setting there one day and look down and there it was laying on the carpet as if it had just been dropped.

Winger Ed.
04-30-2020, 07:43 PM
I was setting there one day and look down and there it was laying on the carpet as if it had just been dropped.

This has got to be some kind of parallel universe sort of deal.
That's got to be the only explanation.

Sort of like the window to a parallel universe that is in dryers.
It opens when you put in two pairs of socks- hit the 'go' button, wait until it stops:
and there is only two socks in there,,,,,,,,, but they don't match.

JonB
04-30-2020, 07:53 PM
Dropping small parts is one case where it's good to have pet cats. They will usually run over to look at it and you can pick up the part from right in front of their nose.

Finster101
04-30-2020, 08:44 PM
I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many 8mm and 10mm 1/4 inch sockets I now own.

daengmei
04-30-2020, 08:53 PM
I'm gonna have a yard sale one day...just one example I have 7 pipe wrenches and I'm not a plumber.

mozeppa
04-30-2020, 09:06 PM
what ever is lost ....is in the last place you look.

gwrench
04-30-2020, 10:12 PM
I have a somewhat similar way to find things. I accuse someone of stealing it from me! It almost never fails that I then find where I put it.:oops:

megasupermagnum
04-30-2020, 10:23 PM
Unfortunately it did not work for me. Last year I ended up loosing my duck hunting set up. I had all my calls on a lanyard I made myself, along with my jacket, boots, and all of the ammo I had spent all summer loading. Bismuth shells, not cheap steel either. It had been sitting the closet all year. I swear I had taken a few shells out of the ammo box to test in July/August, but did not move the box. Mid September comes around, and nothing. All of my stuff is gone. I had no calls, no jacket, no ammo. I tore the house all apart, every square inch. Eventually I had to buy new, and spent every spare minute that week loading ammo.

To this day, none of that stuff turned up. The ammo is just money gone. The jacket was nothing special. I do miss my calls. I put work into that lanyard, and tuning those calls. Nobody was living with me at the time, nothing was stolen. It must have ended up in the alternate universe.:veryconfu

jimlj
04-30-2020, 11:09 PM
I've wandered around looking for a tool before to find it in my hand.

nvbirdman
05-01-2020, 12:13 AM
I spent forty five minutes looking for a gun I lost. It was in the safe, right where I had looked six or seven times.

samari46
05-01-2020, 01:05 AM
You know those little circular brushes you use to clean nattery terminals, well I thought I had three. Couldn't find any of them. Went to the auto parts store and bought 4 one in the tool box of my tractor.one in the truck, two one of each went into my roll around tool box. And the 4th went into the tool box on the toy room next to the carport which is where I do some of my vehicle repairs. The wife just recently found one under the front passenger seat.How it got there is anyones guess. Frank

Land Owner
05-01-2020, 05:37 AM
I "lost" my 25-foot tape measure while setting block for an above ground garden in the back yard one week ago. I needed it in order to continue and looked high and low for a quarter hour. My Spousal Unit asked me what was wrong, then told me it was ATTACHED TO MY BELT! Dooph! Face to palm...

Triggerfinger
05-01-2020, 06:04 AM
I always seem to find it in the last place I look:mrgreen:

Biggin
05-01-2020, 08:56 AM
I used to think it was just my dad's problem. After he passed away I found multiples of nearly every tool he had because when he couldn't find something he would just go buy another one. Now I do the same thing. ��*♂️

country gent
05-01-2020, 09:04 AM
Always start looking in the last place you would look since the lost items are always found in the last place you look

metricmonkeywrench
05-01-2020, 09:14 AM
I go with the look for something else theory... if your looking for "it" it will remain lost in the alternate universe. When I am looking for something else that is always when I find any of the other "lost" items. Of course what is found is completely random as to the immediate need.

The tricky part with this process is that you must completely clear your mind of the thing that you want to find now to be able to enter the alternate universe to find the thing that you were not looking for then and that will open the alternate universe to whatever it was that you forgot what you were looking for in the first place then...

or you can just give up get a drink and enter the other alternate universe where it all makes sense and buy the new thing to put right next to the thing you forgot you lost in the first place and realize you now have 2 (or more)

FISH4BUGS
05-01-2020, 09:15 AM
That condition is called "man eyes".

elmacgyver0
05-01-2020, 09:23 AM
I lost my pickup truck in Menard's parking lot.
Someone obviously stole it.
It finally dawned on me I stopped by Menard's on my way home from work and I was driving my work car.

DCP
05-02-2020, 10:29 AM
YES This is a rule you can live by. If you cant find something order a new one.
If the lost item is under let's say $10.00 just order a new one.

JonB
05-02-2020, 03:07 PM
You know those little circular brushes you use to clean nattery terminals, well I thought I had three. Couldn't find any of them. Went to the auto parts store and bought 4 one in the tool box of my tractor.one in the truck, two one of each went into my roll around tool box. And the 4th went into the tool box on the toy room next to the carport which is where I do some of my vehicle repairs. The wife just recently found one under the front passenger seat.How it got there is anyones guess. Frank

Ha! I just had to buy another one of those. Old one showed up an hour after I got home. Offered to give my spare to a buddy but he had 3 already.

Mk42gunner
05-02-2020, 08:06 PM

I looked around to find my double end deburring tool and clean primer crimps, and do the necks.

It wasn't in the lathe where I use it, not on the bench, not in the cabinet in the old cigar box of other little stuff.

Must have been a rookie deburring tool, showing up before the replacement got there.

My well seasoned tools must have the intimidation factor down to a science, no matter how new the tool I loose is, it never shows up until the replacement is here.

Robert

rockrat
05-02-2020, 09:46 PM
Working on my JD rotary mower. Had bought clutches a few years ago. Finally got the mower apart so I could replace the clutches. You think I could find them, not a chance. Called JD and ordered parts.
Went to run some errands and got home and wife handed me the parts I couldn't find!!! Told me where they were. I already looked there and didn't find them!!!

Winger Ed.
05-02-2020, 09:52 PM
Went to run some errands and got home and wife handed me the parts I couldn't find!!! Told me where they were. I already looked there and didn't find them!!!

Might have been a set up.
My buddy would do that to his wife.

She'd look all over the house for something,,,,then get him involved.
If he found it first, he'd set it somewhere obvious that she'd already looked.

She thought she was going crazy,, and he didn't do much to dispel that belief.

Three44s
05-03-2020, 12:53 AM
Well, I feel better reading about fellow members similar problems!

Makes me less crazy knowing I am not alone in my mental deficiencies!

If this many guys share the same affliction, can I be all that weird after all?

Best regards

Three44s

WheelgunConvert
05-03-2020, 02:05 AM
1. It’s in my shirt pocket
2. It’s in the refrigerator or cupboard
3. It’s in my wife’s classroom. Teaching is the only profession that people steal things from home to use at work.
4. Check the other shirt pocket.

Winger Ed.
05-03-2020, 03:06 AM
Well, If this many guys share the same affliction, can I be all that weird after all?

I've worked on stuff on a clean work table-- 4 barrel Rochester carbs were the worst and I kept a few just for parts--
I'd take 'em apart, clean 'em, put them back together, and have a critical part missing.
Even though I never took a step away the project.

Teddy (punchie)
05-03-2020, 06:31 AM

Next time PM me I've been doing what you did for three weeks looking for items. I have now about 10 of the double end deburring tools. I would have sent you one for a few bucks every time I open an other box there's an other one.

Sometimes we are too close to the woods to see the trees. O' yea I'm still looking, darn kiddos hid things good this time. Now if i can just find that box of sizing dies, I recall buying at local auction there were 3 over .500 and I have yet to locate them, or a bunch of 310 dies. :-?:veryconfu:(

crowbuster
05-03-2020, 07:56 AM
Amen. Then theres the old I have seen it somewhere. But where ?

FISH4BUGS
05-03-2020, 08:02 AM
If this many guys share the same affliction, can I be all that weird after all?
Three44s
That is what I meant when I described the condition as "man eyes". :)

wildwilly501
05-03-2020, 08:28 AM
The worst thing to find is the the thing you know exactly where it is and you go to get it and its not there.I've tried to stop my hours long mad man bad mood searches and if something doesn't cost much buy another one and forget about it.Yeah right.

centershot
05-03-2020, 08:36 AM
When this happens to m I blame it on poltergeists, maybe gremlins. In extreme cases it must be the work of a chupcabra. That's OK, I know they'll put it back when they're done tormenting me!

robg
05-03-2020, 09:13 AM
at work we stripped a cx500 honda .a needle roller bearing disappeared,about2 inches by 3 ,ripped workshop to bits as honda diddnt have it in stock in europe .foreman sat down to have a cupper in empty workshop there on a shelf 1 foot off the floor 8 ft away from the bike was that bearing .wasted a day looking for it.

CastingFool
05-03-2020, 12:07 PM
Something similar happens when you have an item that you have saved for years, just in case you need it. finally one day, sick and tired of watching it gather dust, or simply need the room, you get rid of it. Then it is guaranteed that the need for that very same item comes up within 2 weeks of disposal.

DCP
05-03-2020, 12:45 PM
I had a profile gauge I didn't know what it was for 20 years. I cleaned my garage and threw it out. The very next weekend I need a profile gauge. Went to the hardware store to get one. When I looked at the blister pack for about 8 bucks all I could do is laugh

slim1836
05-03-2020, 12:51 PM
I'm still looking for a few 45-70 cases and I don't even have a 45-70. I swear they have grown legs.

Slim

popper
05-03-2020, 01:00 PM
She can't find her glasses - look on your head? Never have found that thread gauge I used to have. Nor the guitar strap.

William Yanda
05-03-2020, 07:30 PM

Now that's living dangerously!

iomskp
05-03-2020, 07:43 PM
I have done the same thing time and time again, the good news is I have lots of spares.

abunaitoo
05-04-2020, 05:39 PM
I was helping a guy fix his car.
He dropped a socket and spent almost an hour looking for it.
Only getting in the way.
Finaly told him "the best way to find it, is to drop another in the same place"
He did, and lost two sockets.

Scrounge
05-04-2020, 06:21 PM
I "lost" my 25-foot tape measure while setting block for an above ground garden in the back yard one week ago. I needed it in order to continue and looked high and low for a quarter hour. My Spousal Unit asked me what was wrong, then told me it was ATTACHED TO MY BELT! Dooph! Face to palm...

I'm missing two of the 25' Stanley steel tapes. The ones with the big shiny chromed case! I know they're not on my belt, because I just checked. I'm still in my bathrobe, too. ;)

Scrounge
05-04-2020, 06:25 PM

I don't do that sort of thing to my wife. Way too much likelihood of it going way wrong! I am better at finding stuff than her. Last night it was the can of pain spray. It was on the bookcase behind her computer chair. Right at her eye level. I keep telling her that it's OK, I'm crazy too.

Hickory
05-04-2020, 06:26 PM
I had a bunch of tool that I could not find, until I looked in my son's truck.

Scrounge
05-04-2020, 06:34 PM
I had a bunch of tool that I could not find, until I looked in my son's truck.

My son lives with us, but we won't have that trouble with him. Somehow, he doesn't do much of anything that involves tools. Doesn't drive, doesn't have a truck or any other vehicle. He helps me, gets tools when I need them. I keep telling him Dad's not gonna last forever, and he needs to know how to do stuff. He helped build sets for the theater classes he took, and enjoyed that, but doesn't do such things anymore.

lightman
05-05-2020, 09:08 AM
Yes, for sure the best way to find a lost item is to buy a replacement! Some things tend to breed when they get together too! Caulk guns come to mind!

Winger Ed.
05-07-2020, 07:04 PM
My theory is sound!

Yesterday, I was almost done mowing, and looked down at the lawn mower- the gas cap was gone!
This thing is almost the size of your hand, and had been swallowed up by the parallel universe.
It wasn't anywhere. I looked all over the yard-- everywhere I'd been all day--- no gas cap.

Today, I thought I'd order one on line, and go to Lowe's and get a new one.
I do that, and they bring your stuff to your car, and it saves walking about a mile.
It must be a common problem since they have 13 in stock.

Taking one more trip around the yard to organize my thoughts- which normally doesn't take very long--
I saw it.
It had burrowed itself under a rose bush, and covered itself with leaves- except that one little piece of black plastic.

I tricked it into showing itself.
The gas cap thought I had just come back from Lowe's instead of getting ready to go there.