PDA

View Full Version : Block Tin/Tin Tubing Oppertunity - Thoughts on Value

mfraser264
04-29-2020, 06:56 PM
So I'm on the phone today talking to a friend of mine about things and he mentions he has block tin. What made him think about is that I came across 2 pounds of block tin he gave me years ago and I'm preparing to blend it some lead alloy and sent him pictures to rattle his memory cells. His family operated a scrap yard for years and his father left behind a pile of tin tubes from water coolers. About 100 pounds and its all been offered to me. Local scrap yard was confused about what the block tin is and it's rarely encountered anymore.

Any thoughts to what a fair price may be?

Thanks.

Traffer
04-29-2020, 07:26 PM
You will have to determine what is the correct price. Keep in mind that small amounts consisting of pewter trinkets are still found for practically nothing. I bought a pewter bowl (about 7 oz) for $.75 a while back. But if you are wanting to resell it...this site will give you the current prices:
https://www.dailymetalprice.com/metalpricecharts.php?c=sn&u=lb&d=480
You could give him a low ball offer and resell it for near market price and just take the profit (or share it with him)

unclemikeinct
04-29-2020, 10:28 PM
looks Like Tin fell out of bed. 7 bucks a pound for full loads dealer to Process. Small lots I'm a buyer at 20% . Shoot him a $150 & buy the beer. uncle mike

lightman
04-30-2020, 07:38 AM
If he is a good friend I would try to get him to price it. I would probably offer him $400 to $500 for all of it if I had to make the first offer.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-30-2020, 10:14 AM
Local scrap yard was confused about what the block tin is and it's rarely encountered
Yep, if that's the case, I've found that the one local to me will sell it for the same price as Lead.

Since he is a friend and if you want to pay the going rate? Looks like was $8.79 USD/LB last month.
https://www.scrapregister.com/scrap-price/scrap-pure-tin/united-states/mid-west/2019-November-22

RogerDat
04-30-2020, 12:32 PM
Well it will mostly be pure tin, it can have some lead parts and pieces. Liquid cooling lines should be straight tin but there are organ air lines that are high tin but not all tin. Some of the tap parts or connecting "legs" could be something other than tin. Still I would expect if this is really block tin for it to be almost 100% tin.

I have gotten prices ranging from lead price to $2.50 a pound to $7.00 a pound (tin scrap price at the time) I would use what is considered good thrift store found pewter price as a guide. Typically that is around $3 a pound. If on can find pewter for $3 or less most consider that a good deal. From there one can see where a little less per pound for a bulk purchase makes sense, or a little higher price for a huge stash in one shot. But I would put the starting point for a good price at around $3 per pound.

I would lean toward a price that is less than $3 per pound because pewter has other useful alloys and stamped pewter is a known alloy. You won't really know the contents of this purchase until you melt it down in a big batch and have it tested. That said 100# of pure tin is also known as set for life on tin. That has some value.

mfraser264
04-30-2020, 01:56 PM
Thank you for all your comments and feedback.