PDA

View Full Version : Ruger bisley

bigted
04-29-2020, 07:11 AM
Has anyone shot one of these with hunting rounds in a heavier recoiling chambering?

I am sure that there is. My intention is to inquire about the bisley grip and recoil handling capabilitys compared to the old style round TG super grips or even the regular blackhawk grip frames.

Thanks.

contender1
04-29-2020, 08:18 AM
Well, I have had a lot of experience with heavy recoiling calibers in both the plow handle & the Bisley g/f's. By far,, for MOST people, when handling heavy recoil, the Bisley is a preferred g/f. It's also the choice for the custom gun builders who make the heavier than normal calibers. When we were shooting a Jack Huntington .500 it was custom built, and used a Bisley g/f. And it was heavy enough to still cause folks to have serious handling issues. If you weren't familiar with that caliber,, or HEAVY recoil, we'd coach anyone who tried it. No way I'd shoot a .500 without a Bisley design. I own one in .480, and shoot a 400 grn slug out of it. It's quite pleasant for such a bigger caliber. I also own a Freedom Arms in 454,,, with their plow handle design. It has more felt recoil than the Ruger Bisley .454 I tried as a comparison.
Oh, and I hunt almost exclusively with a handgun.
Also, note that Ruger built the Super Blackhawk in .454 & .480 with only the Bisley g/f.

Wheelguns 1961
04-29-2020, 09:08 AM
All of my hunting revolvers have a bisley grip frame. The most powerful being .480 ruger. Bisley grip frames just fit my hand better. YMMV. It would be best to try before you buy.

Thumbcocker
04-29-2020, 09:57 AM
Not much middle ground on the Bisley frame. Love em or hate em. I am pro Bisley because I hate it when a gun twists in my hand. The Bisley is more straight back recoil into the palm and arm. They will sometimes rap your middle finger knuckle with thumper loads but you can work on how you hold them.

tominboise
04-29-2020, 09:59 AM
I am a slight contrarian here. I had one of the Bisley Blackhawks in 45 Colt but it did not fit my hand that well. I am happier with a standard grip frame and Pachmyer grips, if you can believe it. I have not shot any of the heavier calibers in the Blackhawk, however. Just 300gr 44 Mag and 45 Colt handloads. As mentioned, you will have to try them both to see for yourself. My FA83 grip frame is sort of in between the standard blackhawk grip and the Bisley grip. It works OK for me - it has the rosewood grips on it.

nawagner
04-29-2020, 01:13 PM
I don't remember where I saw it, perhaps it was this forum, there is a test to figure out which grip fits your hand type. Hold a pencil with a fist so it is sticking straight up above your thumb. Hold you hand at your side and then lift as if you were going to point a gun. If the pencil is straight up and down then the plow grip best suits your hand's natural grip. If it is slightly pointed forward then the Bisley best fits your natural grip.

megasupermagnum
04-29-2020, 01:17 PM
I don't remember where I saw it, perhaps it was this forum, there is a test to figure out which grip fits your hand type. Hold a pencil with a fist so it is sticking straight up above your thumb. Hold you hand at your side and then lift as if you were going to point a gun. If the pencil is straight up and down then the plow grip best suits your hand's natural grip. If it is slightly pointed forward then the Bisley best fits your natural grip.

I think you have that backwards. Either way, it doesn't sound like a good test to me. I never did get the chance to try the Ruger bisley with a heavy recoiling round. I don't like that my knuckle is right up tight to the trigger guard, and my experience tells me that it will not go well. If you look at other bisley styles like those from Freedom arms or Magnum research you see that the grip to trigger guard distance is dramatically increased.

Loudenboomer
04-29-2020, 01:38 PM
I find the Bisley Blackhawk .480 recoil very tolerable. My load is the 400gr. lee with 19 gr. AA#9 over a win large pistol primer. Some would call it heavy recoil some would not. For extended practice sessions I wrap a layer of hockey tape around my middle two fingers. When I'm in the mood to tone it down a bit I just shoot my Bisley .44 special.:)

tazman
04-29-2020, 01:41 PM
I find this interesting since I cannot comfortably shoot any Blackhawk with centerfire cartridges using the plowhandle grip. Even 357 gives me problems as it beats up my knuckles. The 44 mag and 45 colt versions I have fired actually took skin off my trigger finger and knuckles. I have tried different grips such as Pachmayr to no avail.
I have never held a Bisley grip so I have no idea how they would work.
I shoot a lot of S&W revolvers using Pachmayr grips.
I like the idea of the single action revolvers but they are, so far, too uncomfortable for me. I can have just as much fun by beating on my knuckles with a ball pein hammer.

megasupermagnum
04-29-2020, 01:51 PM
I find this interesting since I cannot comfortably shoot any Blackhawk with centerfire cartridges using the plowhandle grip. Even 357 gives me problems as it beats up my knuckles. The 44 mag and 45 colt versions I have fired actually took skin off my trigger finger and knuckles. I have tried different grips such as Pachmayr to no avail.
I like the idea of the single action revolvers but they are, so far, too uncomfortable for me. I can have just as much fun by beating on my knuckles with a ball pein hammer.

I have the same problem. I found that the best is the Hogue rubber grip. It takes up the space behind the trigger guard. I still prefer the double action style grips, but the Hogue makes the standard blackhawk shootable. It also helps hold your hand in place. The smooth wood grips on a blackhawk are ridiculous. Even lighter loads, and boing! That barrel is pointed sky high.

missionary5155
04-29-2020, 06:15 PM
Another Bisley fan. WE have a couple of each in 45 Colt. Long barrels and the medium length. When it is time to get out the 300 grainers then the Bisleys are what I grab.

DougGuy
04-29-2020, 06:47 PM
I did a study of grip frames and the truth is, the Bisley grip frame puts the shooter's middle finger middle knuckle closest to the back of the trigger guard than any other Ruger grip frame. The distance between the back of the trigger guard and the inside of the grip frame is the shortest on the Bisley model.

For that reason I don't own one. I know lots of folks love them for heavy recoil, but Ruger Only loads in 45 Colt and 300gr loads in 44 Magnum will get my middle knuckle on any of my Ruger revolvers.

For that, I use one simple wrap around that knuckle with the stretchy bandage material, and I can shoot round after round of heavies with no irritation. Try it, you'll keep a roll in your shooting bag from then on!

bigted
04-29-2020, 06:52 PM
So here is my dilemma.

My 1860 Colt 44 C&B fits me perfectly!
My 1873 Colt SAA 45 Colt wearing a Uberti 1860 grip frame also fits me perfectly!

The 1851 and 1873 SAA grip frames do "ok" but begin bumping my knuckles with even 357 loads.

My GP 100's in 357 and 44 SPCL do great for me with the soft Packmyer style grips.

My Redhawk in 45 Colt 5.5 inch barrel is terrible with the stock wood grips. Not as bad but still harsh with the harder Packmyer grips. Have obtained some softer Packmyers but have not tried them as yet.

My old N frames in 44 mag and 45 Colt in 4 and 6 inch barrels are tolerable but not comfy for my mits.

I spent 15 years in AK and carried a 629 4 inch barrel with Packmyers but with the heavy 300 grain bear pills running 1250 to 1300 fps were not fun at all but my love of being in the brush enticed me to remain practiced with them with painful weekly practice of 2 or 3 cylinder fulls.

This all leads me to my query concerning the Bisley grip frames. I download all revolvers so as to be comfy to shoot and I am not sniveling here ... just idle curiosity if there is a missing link for this ol duffer.

Hence the original question.

bigted
04-29-2020, 07:00 PM
I did a study of grip frames and the truth is, the Bisley grip frame puts the shooter's middle finger middle knuckle closest to the back of the trigger guard than any other Ruger grip frame. The distance between the back of the trigger guard and the inside of the grip frame is the shortest on the Bisley model.

For that reason I don't own one. I know lots of folks love them for heavy recoil, but Ruger Only loads in 45 Colt and 300gr loads in 44 Magnum will get my middle knuckle on any of my Ruger revolvers.

For that, I use one simple wrap around that knuckle with the stretchy bandage material, and I can shoot round after round of heavies with no irritation. Try it, you'll keep a roll in your shooting bag from then on!

Awesome. We musta been typing at the same time. I will give the bandage material a try.

Thanks for all the reply's. Good info.

M-Tecs
04-29-2020, 07:11 PM
I am 6' 3" with large hands. For gloves I prefer 3X if I can find them. With my hands for heavy recoil the Bisley grip frame outstanding. I do have to be more conscious of my grip placement to get consistent accuracy. That makes them slower for me for things like cowboy action. With a stand Colt or Ruger grip my little finger fully under the grip is a very quick reference point for my grip. Very quick and accurate for me. On heavy recoiling guns I shoot the Bisley significantly better. The Ruger Super Blackhawk frame “Dragoon” style with square back trigger guard. doesn't work well for me unless I put Pachmayr's on them.

tominboise
04-29-2020, 07:45 PM

Good info - i had to sell all three of the FA97 revolvers I had, due to my knuckle getting battered on the trigger guard. Ruger's with standard grip frame and pachmyers fit me will with no battering, as does the larger FA83 grip frame.

Idaho45guy
04-30-2020, 02:57 AM
When developing "bear" loads for my Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt, I finally resorted to wearing one of my motorcycle gloves when shooting. Palm of my hand and knuckles were getting beat pretty bad.

taco650
04-30-2020, 06:48 AM
Bigted,

I have often pondered this same question over the years but haven't been able to shoot a Ruger Bisley. I had a SB Ruger .44 a few years back for a short time. I liked the revolver but the Dragoon style frame beat my knuckles so I looked into swapping the grip frame for a Bisley. When making inquiries, I was told by several folks that the Ruger Bisley is something you either love or hate but I never got to test it for myself and chose not to change the frame.

I too love my 1860 Army frame but I don't think it would be that good for a heavier recoiling caliber.

Greg S
04-30-2020, 08:05 AM
I like the Bisley so much more than a plow handle, i've even got one on a single 6 in 22. I find with this style the gun doesn't slip allowing the muzzle to point skyward until I reposition the grip for the next shot. To really feel a difference, put some Hogue or thicker grips on and get rid of those wafer thin grip placement covers that come from the factory.

MrWolf
04-30-2020, 08:06 AM
I have the same problem. I found that the best is the Hogue rubber grip. It takes up the space behind the trigger guard. I still prefer the double action style grips, but the Hogue makes the standard blackhawk shootable. It also helps hold your hand in place. The smooth wood grips on a blackhawk are ridiculous. Even lighter loads, and boing! That barrel is pointed sky high.

Agreed. I have nerve damage from my neck that makes shooting revolvers rough. After the first shot they "spin" on me. The Hogue allowed me to shoot my Ruger .41.

DHDeal
04-30-2020, 09:07 AM
As DougGuy mentioned (and you can measure it) the Ruger Bisley grip does have less "room" behind the triggerguard. Also Contender mentioned a Jack Huntington Bisley and how well it handled recoil and no knuckle busting. Having a JRH gripframe (SBH grip mod), he does some grinding on the frame behind the triggerguard to give it more room. My Super Blackhawk JRH frame mod had the front of the frame made straight like the Bisley and the back was left with the regular RBH angle and length added to the bottom. Really really nice work and dropdead beautiful grips. Not inexpensive! The revolver this work was done on was a SS 4 5/8" SBH and it was ridiculous with heavy loads before, but more controllable afterwards. It'll never be a nice revolver with heavy loads though.

The Bisley gripframe is truly a love it or not thing mainly because of the closeness behind the triggerguard IMO. There is another option now with a Wells gripframe. You'll have to pay for it, fit it, and then add the grips but he has so many options. We're getting into the custom gun effort and price here though.

Dale53
04-30-2020, 09:34 AM
The principal problem with a definitive answer the O.P. brings up is that each one of us has different sized hands and fingers. As an example, I have a "medium to large" hand but a fellow member of my gun club has hands that absolutely dwarf mine. To even consider that the same grip frame would work for us both is just flat in error. Each of us has to work out what works best for US!

As an example, my personal preference in single action grip frames is the Ruger Flat Top plow handle grip with Pachmayr grips. I can shoot the heaviest loads without issue. No pain and excellent control. The "as issued" grip frame will work "reasonably well" when I tuck my little finger under the butt. I have a Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt and when using a 250 gr. bullet over a case full of Swiss 3F (nearly 1000 fps.) I can shoot it all day long but it is at my limit of recoil tolerance. Keep in mind that a case full of Swiss 3f will recoil markedly more than an equivalent smokeless load.

So, the takeaway, is that each of us must find what works for us and then apply that information for the best possible results. FOR US...

Dale53

bigted
04-30-2020, 01:47 PM
Indeed ... great reply's fella's. Thanks.

lar45
04-30-2020, 01:48 PM
I have a 500JRH in a BFR with the Micarta grips w 5.25" barrel, I also have a 5.5" 500 Linebaugh in a Ruger Bisley. With similar bullet weights and velocities, the Bisley is more comfortable to me. The BFR will bite by knuckle, where the Bisley will not. I also have a BFR in 475 and with the stock grips, it wasn't very pleasant to shoot. I modified a set of Houge MonoGrips for a SBH and put them on and now it's much more pleasant to shoot.

bigted
04-30-2020, 09:35 PM
Just to be clear concerning that ever popular plow handle grip frame.

The weapon it arrived on was the first revolving gun. For ignition, they had the best of the day in the percussion caps. Thesr caps , upon ignition, at times would and do come apart and drops bits into the action where upon the revolver would and do jam tight or smash a cap or parts thereof under the hammer making the weapon fail to fire.

One of the ways to counteract this ... allowing the revolver to tip up pointing to the sky allowing the spent cap to escape.

The slight recoil coupled with this action is better enabled with the plow handle style grip. The next thing that is figured in with this upward roll is that the hammer spur becomes closer to your wrist therefore bringing the hammer spur closer to your thumb enabling an easier cocking for the next shot.

Now many years later and medium to large cal cartridges producing much more recoil then either the original 36 and 44 cal round ball loads that produce absolutely nothing in the recoil dept as even a +P 38 special.

Kinda like those snazzy crescent buttplates on rifles chambered in 45-70 or even more ... the 375 H&H mag.

Seems as tho historic styles do not warp over into modern developments producing more power and resultant recoil.

Just thinkin outloud. Gotta wonder how folks or critters got tougher to deal with that brought about the need for these high recoiling rounds. Seems like there is still nothing wrong with the old easy recoiling rounds of yesteryear

Carrier
04-30-2020, 10:00 PM
My 45 Colt Ruger Bisley is about the nicest shooting revolver I own. Though I shoot mostly only Colt loads through it I do shoot some top end Ruger loads through it and recoil is a pussycat compared to the SBH 44 magnum with plow handle with comparable loads I have.

contender1
05-01-2020, 08:48 AM
Dale53 has put forth an excellent post. His information is spot on, and something I normally put out. Each of us are different & our hand sizes are not uniform. As such, what works for one, may not work for another.

That said, my original posting was more to answer the OP and it was basic.
In general, most heavy recoiling handguns are built with a Bisley g/f design because MOST folks can handle the recoil better with that design over the plow handle.

Good post Dale53.

Dale53
05-01-2020, 09:25 AM
Contender1;
Thanks for the kind words!

FWIW
Dale53

Lloyd Smale
05-02-2020, 06:57 AM
ive owned a number of 44s 45s 475s and 500s. even a 4 inch 500 vaquero. Wouldn't even consider a 4 inch 500 without a bisley grip frame. Ive shot a few 500 and 475 Linebaugh maximums too but when you go to that extreme even a bisley is hard to handle. Basicaly though it makes heavy 44s and 45 colts a pussycat to shoot.

sixshot
05-02-2020, 11:53 AM
Handgun frames & grips are like hats & shoes, one size doesn't fit all. For sure most shooters prefer the bisley when it comes to heavy recoiling guns over the plow handle but still there are some guys that, because of their hand size can get by with the plow handle & a big gun.
Many of the new, mid frame single actions coming out have very thin stocks (grips) on them and that can be a problem for many, they need to be thicker, some even go with a bit of a palm swell much like Elmer Keith did with his ivory stocked guns. For me the bisley is much, much easier to handle over the plow handle design. Also with some of the so called bisley designs you need to grip the gun a bit lower & that will correct getting your knuckle rapped by the trigger guard.
A friend showed up once with a Redhawk 44 & a set of well known custom stocks that were so big it was like holding a 4X4 in your hands. I took my Foredom tool, which is a larger version of a dremel tool & took a lot of wood off of those stocks & he ended up with a nice set of stocks he could use.
The Hogue grips have never agreed with me, those finger grooves are way off, at least for my hand, I corrected it by using my foredom tool to grind off the grooves on my S&W 45 Mountain Gun & now they work very well. At the very least that top groove has to go, for me it's terrible.
https://i.imgur.com/ORLny7Ah.jpg
Dick

pietro
05-02-2020, 05:53 PM
Bisley grip frames just fit my hand better. YMMV.

It would be best to try before you buy.

Excellent advice - I'm one of those .44 mag shooters that much preferred the original SAA type plow handle grip than the Ruger Bisley I bought.

I like that the original style rolls the revolver back in my hand when fired - which places the hammer right under my thumb for faster re-cocking.

Lloyd Smale
05-04-2020, 07:57 AM
problem is with the really big guns that will plant the hammer smartly into the web of your hand or the front sight smartly into your forehead!! ask me how I know????:coffee:
Excellent advice - I'm one of those .44 mag shooters that much preferred the original SAA type plow handle grip than the Ruger Bisley I bought.

I like that the original style rolls the revolver back in my hand when fired - which places the hammer right under my thumb for faster re-cocking.

megasupermagnum
05-04-2020, 11:50 AM
problem is with the really big guns that will plant the hammer smartly into the web of your hand or the front sight smartly into your forehead!! ask me how I know????:coffee:

This is my experience as well with the wood slick grips. My TC scout pistol, which is a 54 caliber muzzleloading pistol with what seems to be a Ruger standard blackhawk grip frame, was horrible with the wood grips. Loaded with the 430 grain maxiball and 110 grains of blackpowder, it would put any 44 magnum to shame. There was the real possibility the gun was going to plant the front sight in your forehead, even with a death grip.

And the reaction I got here when asking about the grips was that I was doing it wrong. Maybe I am, but I took the easy route. I had an extra set of hogue grips for a super blackhawk, and wouldn't you believe they slipped right on. I can now shoot that gun with ease.

smithnframe
05-04-2020, 12:50 PM
I like the way they respond to heavy recoiling revolvers but I don't like the looks of them!

Lloyd Smale
05-06-2020, 07:07 AM
I thought the same when I was younger. But anymore I actually like the looks of a bisley more then I do a plow handle. At least a ruger bisley. the old colt bisleys were just plain homely.
I like the way they respond to heavy recoiling revolvers but I don't like the looks of them!

Dale53
05-06-2020, 08:28 AM
I can use both the plow handle and the Bisley with "moderate" recoil. However, I found nirvana, many, many years ago when I discovered Pachmayr grips. Many slam them for their looks, me I REVERE those grips. I have a serious "base of the thumb" problem with any hard grips with heavy recoil. With Pachmayrs, I can make the revolver perform at my highest level!

After all, the idea is to HIT SOMETHING, and do it without pain! Pachmayrs assist me in that. How they look is something that has little regard by me, it I can HIT with them!

But-t-t, that is just me!:mrgreen:

Dale53

Thumbcocker
05-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Beauty is as beauty does.

JoeJames
05-06-2020, 11:16 AM
I like the idea of the single action revolvers but they are, so far, too uncomfortable for me. I can have just as much fun by beating on my knuckles with a ball pein hammer.Interesting discussion. It has gotten me to thinking that I may try the Bisley. I usually shoot very moderate loads in my New Model BH in 44 Special, but even then I am often reminded of placement of my knuckle.

sonoransixgun
05-06-2020, 11:31 AM
Enjoyed reading through this discussion....Never had a chance to try the Bisley, but hope to some day...I think besides all of the comments made, another factor is muscle memory and familiarity....When you use something a lot, your body adjusts to it and becomes used to it until it almost seems a part of you. I use the plough grip on my BH's. I've come to love their feel, so familiar. They just seem right. My brother has a gp-100. He hates the plough grip. I've shot his revolver, but I love my plough grips. If I had started out with the Bisley, no doubt I would love them....I think sometimes the "grass is greener" mentality can keep us looking and looking when heaven is right at home....just my two cents...

Groo
05-12-2020, 12:21 PM
Groo here
The plow handle grip and the Bisley can be compaired to the difference between a ruger 22 auto and a DA revolver.
The colt type points very well , the Bisley is more of a right angle to the bore so rotates less in the heavy kickers.
I have a 3 3/4 inch 41mag Mondago and a 5 1/4 in 41 Bisley [Thank you Andy]
You shoot the 3 3/4 like a 1911 [wrist relaxed] and the Bisley like a DA smith.[ more upright]

snowwolfe
05-12-2020, 01:48 PM
There is a reason BFR started offering a factory Bisley grip last year or so. I can handle a 44 mag or 45 Colt with stiff loads in a plow handle or double action revolver. Anything with more recoil and Bisley wins hands down.