PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know cylinder throat/bore dimensions on modern S&W 45 Colt?

218bee
04-28-2020, 08:00 PM
I am thinking of buying a new S&W model 25-15 45 Colt. I cant swing the prices I am seeing for older 25-3 versions.
The 25-15 Ive seen look decent. I like the tall partridge front sight and plain (not white outlined) rear.
I have a 25-2 in 45 acp and a 27-3 357 and really like the feel and heft of these guns. I currently shoot a older Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt.
My intent would be lots of load development/paper punching, and probably some whitetail hunting.
I shoot exclusively cast in most of my revolvers and if I were to buy revolver would check throat with pin guage and slug barrel to see what I got.
But reason I am asking question is I remember an article by Brian Pearce about this exact subject. I want to say for a while S&W had some small throats resulting in poor accuracy unless you had them opened up to more closely match bore.
I would think this has been corrected but I do not know.
I'm hoping someone on here has some experience with one of these. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Wheelguns 1961
04-28-2020, 08:31 PM
I have one. My throats will all take a .453” pin gauge. A touch big. I just size my bullets to .453” and it shoots like a laser.

USSR
04-28-2020, 10:16 PM
You don't want the 25-3 anyways. They used the same cylinder length as the 25-2, which is too short for the .45 Colt. The 25-5 is the .45 Colt equivalent to your 25-2. Nice ones can be found with 6" barrels for just under a grand.

Don

Outpost75
04-28-2020, 10:45 PM
Best take a measured jacketed bullet to the gunshop or show with you if you don't have plug gages.

A cylinder with small throats can be honed by DougGuy affordably. A GI .45 ACP hardball bullet usually measures .4505-.4515 and is useful as a "go" gage.

Excessively big over .457 is problematic, but no larger than that I just select bullets and size to fit.

I carry around in my pocket a .458 Winchester Hornady 500-grain FMJ bullet which is normally .458. If that enters into the cylinder throats I won't buy the gun!

I don't worry about too small, except to use it to haggle price, because that condition is easily fixed.