PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot cast in Remington 7600’s?

Tripplebeards
04-27-2020, 08:11 PM
I tried to load for my 35 whelen the other day with feeding issues. It was a new gun and I didn’t realize it won’t cycle jacketed ammo as well. It’s on its way back to Remington for repair. I shot 12 rounds out of it last season loaded singly to sight it in but never tried a full mag threw it. J words jam on right side of the feed ramp and cast won’t make it out the magazine. I had an extra mag and modified it so cast would cycle when coming off the left side of the mag but the next round unloads off the right side and jams against the feed ramp...and so do jwords. Tried three different unaltered mags and had the exact same feeding issue. I would have removed the barrel and ground down the feed ramp and then polished it but since it’s basically brand new I’ll let remington fix it.

Well I’m waiting for it to come back I figured I’d get some pointers. I do have a 35 Rem 7600 I haven’t tried to see if cast cycled through it yet.

Here’s the unaltered mag...

https://i.imgur.com/90X2wep.jpg

And the feed ramp...

https://i.imgur.com/9LG5PlN.jpg

I’m guessing the wall on each side is going to have to be eliminated as well as grinding down my magazine feed lip to get it to feed cast?

Any tips or suggestions? Maybe a 7600 is not a good rifle for feeding cast?

I’d really like to get this rifle smoothing cycling cast.

jaysouth
04-27-2020, 08:59 PM
I have a 7600P in .308. The P for "police" model has a noisy 16" bbl. My standard hunting load is a 165 Ranch Dog over 28 grs of H4895. The extreme meplat of that bullet feeds well in the factory mags.

BigAlofPa.
04-27-2020, 09:01 PM
I run sns casting 30-30 158 Grain Round Nose Flat Point boolets in my 760 and 770. Both 30.06 13 grains of red dot. They feed well. I think the COAL is 2.960. Do you have room to work with as far as COAL.

Tripplebeards
04-28-2020, 06:35 AM
Loaded long or short the metplate hangs up my magazine like the photo above. The round feeds straight and doesn’t feed up at an angle. I was wondering if anyone ever had to modify their feeding raps on the mags to get them then feed? The mag I modified i have it ground down to where the catch is. The boolits feed right out of it it then jam into the feed ramp. That mag went back to Remington with th3 fun so I’m sure it will be replaced.