PDA

View Full Version : Activ Hulls - which wads to use?

dsh1106
04-27-2020, 07:13 PM
Hi All,

I have a box of once fired Activ Hulls, I have load data, my question which wads perform best in these hulls?

The data I have lists both Winchester and Federal wads, just wonder if anyone out there has loaded these and could tell me which type of wads works best? Winchester or Federal (tapered or straight)

Thanks
Scott

RickinTN
04-27-2020, 08:16 PM
Many years ago I loaded several of the Activ hulls for light target loads. As I recall it is a high volume hull with straight walls. The Federal wads would be a better fit for the Activ hulls but if you have data for Winchester hulls give that recipe a go.
Good Luck,
Rick

John Boy
04-27-2020, 09:16 PM
The Winchester’s. ... I load them for 20 and 12ga

megasupermagnum
04-27-2020, 09:26 PM
Activ hulls are so close to Federal hunting .090" basewad hulls, that some old BPI manuals suggest that load data can be substituted.

Hogtamer
04-27-2020, 09:56 PM
Wow, I just loaded 3 boxes of buckshot using ACTIV hulls in the last couple of days. dsh, you must not be aware that I am the only one here authorized to use those hulls, so send them along please! If you decide to keep them anyhow, use the straight wall hulls. I did a water test and they are drop-for-drop the same volume as Federal gold medal hulls.
Oh yeah, the same goes for the old Lage Uniwads. Loaded almost all of my last 1000 I scoured the earth for. The 70's were just good to me....

Blood Trail
04-28-2020, 06:50 AM
Wow, I just loaded 3 boxes of buckshot using ACTIV hulls in the last couple of days. dsh, you must not be aware that I am the only one here authorized to use those hulls, so send them along please! If you decide to keep them anyhow, use the straight wall hulls. I did a water test and they are drop-for-drop the same volume as Federal gold medal hulls.
Oh yeah, the same goes for the old Lage Uniwads. Loaded almost all of my last 1000 I scoured the earth for. The 70's were just good to me....

I ever tell you I have a couple 1,000’s of those Lages in both 12 and 20? [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hogtamer
04-28-2020, 08:00 AM
Ah, my ole best buddy Blood Trail...how may I bribe you today?

dsh1106
04-28-2020, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the confirmation on the straight wall hulls Hogtamer, now I can start loading up some RB loads.
I'm good to go on the buckshot for the time being, I have about 150 rounds of factory loaded Activ buckshot. This MFRB of 3" Activ hulls has been sitting on my shelf for quite a while now, sheltering in place is starting to get me in trouble.

Scott

ASSASSIN
05-01-2020, 10:03 AM
I load a 1 7/8 oz. Ultra Mag Turkey Load in 2 3/4" Activ Hulls with copper plated 7 1/2 shot, and out to 45 yards, it will literally remove a turkeys head!