PDA

View Full Version : Primers to light cannon fuze?

Bwana John
04-27-2020, 04:16 PM
Anybody done it?

LAGS
04-27-2020, 04:20 PM
I tried it Many , many years ago.
It never worked reliably.
It was like trying to light the waterproof fuse with a cigarette..
But it might be something worth playing with if I still had a cannon.

vinny1892
04-27-2020, 04:21 PM
You would have to make somesort of tube to hold the primer in and have the flame follow it and have the fuze in the other end to catch it. Also if u dip the fuse in nitrocellouse/bp mix (take acatone and some smokeless powder and disolve it then add bp to it) and allow it to try it will take flame easier its what we do with some firework shells.

Drm50
04-27-2020, 05:03 PM
I made a canon lock from parts from an old Toledo cash register. I drilled and taped for musket nipple. The dogs that grab drawers are pined on cast base with spring. Base has screw holes, I used 2 and taped 8/32 to canon. The lock operated like a steel trap and fired by pulling cord. Register was multi drawer type, one register but each clerk had their own cash drawer. Still have some of those dog assemblies left. Maybe trigger too.

Rapidrob
04-27-2020, 05:21 PM
I've done it too many times to count.
The military has always used a shotgun type of primer to light the pull fuzes in blasting materials.
I have several I picked up on duty and use them to this day.
You can made one out of steel tubing ,a spring, a striker and a pull ring cotter pin.
An adapter is used for the diameter of the fuze. I use a plumbing compression fitting with rubber seals to hold the fuze end. The end is frayed like a rope end. The 209 primer will light it every time it is used,sometimes blowing the light fuze out of the rubber bushings.
As for direct ignition to the touch hole of the cannon, on my Blakeley cannon, I use a modified practice grenade fuze assembly and machine it down to fit flush with the breech of the cannon. You can use a LR primer if you make an adapter or a 209 shotgun primer and a lanyard. The primer is blown out and slightly forward 90% of the time when fired as the spring on the HG fuze is not that strong to hold it in place when the powder charge goes off.
I first did this in 1976 to celebrate USA 200 years and bought my cannon from a museum. We did have fun that 4TH.