PDA

View Full Version : The Remington Mosin-Nagant at the range

David LaPell
04-25-2020, 08:17 PM
I took the Remington Mosin to the range the other day. I cut out a silhouette from poster board and set it up at 50 yards first.

https://i.imgur.com/BHNiggg.jpg?1

The bottom five shots were from some surplus Russian FMJ ammo that was dated 1982. I aimed dead center and it shot where it ended up.

The next five were much tighter and to point of aim, these were Brown Bear 174 grain FMJ.

https://i.imgur.com/Z1JhZLF.jpg?1

The third group spread out more as I was shooting at 100 yards. I had one flyer. I was aiming a bit higher but it was also to point of aim except the one that dropped some.

https://i.imgur.com/nne7j8a.jpg?1

The action of this Mosin was as slick as butter, even after 15 rounds. It didn't get sticky, which they are known for at time. Recoil was actually very pleasant from the bench. I can tell you for all the surplus Mosins I have handled over the years, this thing is like comparing a Cadillac to a Yugo.

https://i.imgur.com/AVawrva.jpg?1

I wish my range was longer than 125 yards because I would really like to stretch this gun out to see what it could do even with the open sights on a good target.

I might have to handload for it just to see what this gun can really do.

Remiel
04-25-2020, 08:26 PM
A remington mosin is on my bucket list, I have a Westinghouse, but it was cut up,

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BigAlofPa.
04-25-2020, 08:35 PM
Nice range report. Glad to see you enjoy it. There is a video on you tube where i guy does different ranges out to 500 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQokcErHwFk

Bantou
04-25-2020, 08:37 PM
With PPU ammo I can ring a brake rotor for a Honda Civic at 200 yards about half the time with my Russian Nagant. The rifle would probably do it more consistently if it was shot by a right eyed shooter. I was having a hard time that day compensating for the bullet drop and the PoA shift from being a south paw. It is amazing what those rifles are capable of if you find them in half decent shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas by God
04-25-2020, 11:41 PM
A Remington 1891 or a Finn m39 are the only Mosins I would want. You got a good one there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Rapidrob
04-26-2020, 01:04 AM
I hold matches several times a year at 800 yards.The Mosins that shoot well are firing the long body 150 grain steel core, or the Yellow tip lead core "Heavy Ball".
It is a myth that the Mosins have to be Finn modified/captured rifles or some other "sniper grade" rifle to shoot well.
Bore condition,muzzle crown and true ammunition bullet diameter are critical for an accurate shooter.
A Russian designed and now sold over on Gunboards, accuracy kit that controls stock pressure and barrel nodes really works very well and I have taken late war 50 buck 91/30 rifles for my clubs members and turned then into 2 MOA rifles at long distance using these kits for sale.
My best off of the rack Mosin is a Finn 1891 rifle with a like new barrel that was put into reserve after WWII.
Two of my members shoot exclusively 91/30 rifles that are "as issued" and fire what ever they can get surplus ammo and do OK at 500 and 800 yards. Not match grade but will take 3RD and 4TH place several times a year at all ranges. ( 200-800 yards)
You would always be welcome to stop by here in Albuquerque and shoot your Mosin at long range. You'll be surprised how well they shoot with quality surplus ammo or well made reloads with a properly fitting bullet.

Remiel
04-26-2020, 10:37 AM
I hold matches several times a year at 800 yards.The Mosins that shoot well are firing the long body 150 grain steel core, or the Yellow tip lead core "Heavy Ball".
It is a myth that the Mosins have to be Finn modified/captured rifles or some other "sniper grade" rifle to shoot well.
Bore condition,muzzle crown and true ammunition bullet diameter are critical for an accurate shooter.
A Russian designed and now sold over on Gunboards, accuracy kit that controls stock pressure and barrel nodes really works very well and I have taken late war 50 buck 91/30 rifles for my clubs members and turned then into 2 MOA rifles at long distance using these kits for sale.
My best off of the rack Mosin is a Finn 1891 rifle with a like new barrel that was put into reserve after WWII.
Two of my members shoot exclusively 91/30 rifles that are "as issued" and fire what ever they can get surplus ammo and do OK at 500 and 800 yards. Not match grade but will take 3RD and 4TH place several times a year at all ranges. ( 200-800 yards)
You would always be welcome to stop by here in Albuquerque and shoot your Mosin at long range. You'll be surprised how well they shoot with quality surplus ammo or well made reloads with a properly fitting bullet.I wish they had matches like that here, my tikka m30 or my ex-dragoon would be a good fit. My M39 sako would be fun too. Unfortunately my trio of M91's are a little worn and still hit minute of man at 100yrds, but not to much beyond that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Martin Luber
04-26-2020, 11:07 AM
Rapidrob, were those fired with original iron sights? Wow!