Rem 9-1/2 mag primer ..... did not know this

Just going to use the CCI 200 primer
thanks
--------------------------

Have a bit of a dilemma

I load 30-06 used to use the white box win primer
stopped when they switched to the blue box

I have been using the CCI 200 LR 308/3006 ...4985 powder

I have a brand new barrel in 35 Whelen ... cast of course .... looked at ht tp://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
data .. what primer to use ?

30-06 use WLR
35 Whelen use Rem 9-1/2 primer

Does it matter with cast loads or only with compressed jacketed loads

First time loading for the 35 whelen :)
thanks

unclemikeinct
04-25-2020, 11:40 AM
I use standard large rifle primers in my 35 Whelan. For Full power [ IMR 4064 powder] or reduced velocity loads. uncle mike

country gent
04-25-2020, 01:54 PM
I have gotten good results with the rem std primers. Seems to be milder with more brissance. I would test several different primers in the rifle and see what it likes. In my BPCR loads the rem large rifle STD primers really shine.

Texas by God
04-25-2020, 06:54 PM
If Remington primers were as common as CCI and Winchester where I live I would use Remington primers. I do use their 9-1/2M a lot because I got a lot of them free in the 1980s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Norske
04-26-2020, 10:05 AM
Use the primer suggested in your loading manual. There is a big difference between Winchester primers and CCI. I've had good results with CCI and single base powders, but hang fires/misfires with double base powders, especially those that are graphite coated. Western powders manual lists only Winchester primers in rifles, Federal in handgun loads. Alliant data doesn't often call for magnum primers, not even in their 338 Win Mag loads. I tried 3 brands of magnum primers in my 338, and there was no increase in velocity, but the groups opened up a lot.

Ford SD
04-26-2020, 02:38 PM
Use the primer suggested in your loading manual. There is a big difference between Winchester primers and CCI. I've had good results with CCI and single base powders, but hang fires/misfires with double base powders, especially those that are graphite coated. Western powders manual lists only Winchester primers in rifles, Federal in handgun loads. Alliant data doesn't often call for magnum primers, not even in their 338 Win Mag loads. I tried 3 brands of magnum primers in my 338, and there was no increase in velocity, but the groups opened up a lot.

this rifle that I am priming Brass for ... Is uncharted territory

35 whelen In a M1 Garand using 230 grain Cast ....... there is no Data

I am using 35 Whelen data 200g & 250g ... the problem these are all Bolt guns ...and 30-06 cast Data in the Garand....

Going to start with a Cast 06 load that does not Lock Back and work up....

Speer #11 ..30-06 Uses CCI 200 primers for 4895 (For jacketed) the powder I am Using

Now Waiting for the ranges to open ... closed because of the virus

Rich/WIS
05-03-2020, 08:58 AM
Had the same situation as Norske with ball powders, needed mag primers for reliable ignition with BLC2 and Win 748.

Norske
05-08-2020, 05:36 PM
Western Powders manual has a caution when loading for the Garand. A powder charge greater than what's listed for a 150 gr bullet and IMR 4064 will produce a volume of gas that will bend the Garand operating rod. I always thought it was a pressure-at-gas port thing, but it's the volume.

alamogunr
05-08-2020, 09:29 PM
Update ... not familiar with the rem primer Thought there were a mag primer
found out there is a
Rem 9-1/2 and a
Rem 9-1/2 mag primer ..... did not know this

I didn't know it either. Back when that Grizzly company was discontinuing its' shooting supply business, I bought a 5000 pc case of Remington 9½M primers. I had never used Remington primers before so didn't know until this thread that there were two different primer "strengths?" with similar numbers.

I have read that Remington mag primers may not be the "strongest?" magnum primers. As you can see I don't really know how to describe primers. These were such a good buy that I didn't look too closely.

robg
05-09-2020, 06:15 PM
cci and winchester primers for me. weather mag or std check on powder manufacturer recomendations .