PDA

View Full Version : SAI Hellcat Review

Hrfunk
04-25-2020, 08:47 AM
Hi all! Here's my take on this new pistol. Let me know whar Y'all think!

Howard

https://youtu.be/84Tnx4aavRY

onelight
04-25-2020, 10:11 AM
Great review !
I have had very good service from all my Springfield pistols and have been interested in seeing a review like this on the Hellcat thanks for posting it.

TNsailorman
04-25-2020, 10:29 AM
This video is giving me pause about going to the 365 Sig. May have to consider them side by side in a gun shop after this craziness is over. Great job on the video. james

Hrfunk
04-25-2020, 10:39 AM
Thanks guys! I have no experience with the Sig 365, but I'm liking my Hellcat more and more. If you end up getting one, or the other, let me know your thoughts about it.

Howard

rintinglen
04-25-2020, 11:15 AM
Like the styling? Looks like it was made out of a couple of 1x3's. But pretty is as pretty does, at 20 feet you can shoot postage stamps! (I mean, if you are ever attacked by postage stamps.)

El Bibliotecario
04-25-2020, 11:49 AM
Like the styling? Looks like it was made out of a couple of 1x3's. But pretty is as pretty does, at 20 feet you can shoot postage stamps! (I mean, if you are ever attacked by postage stamps.)

Rather than be seen with such an ugly pistol, I would prefer to take a licking.

elmacgyver0
04-25-2020, 12:42 PM
Very entertaining video as usual.
Looks like one heck of a pistol although I am not a big fan of polymer and strikers, but that is just me.
I like wood and metal better, but sometimes what I like is not always best.
Thanks for making the video.

Art in Colorado
04-25-2020, 06:07 PM
Hi all! Here's my take on this new pistol. Let me know whar Y'all think!

Howard

https://youtu.be/84Tnx4aavRY

I have one of these and really like it. Compared it to the Sig 365 in the store and the sights and flat trigger sold me and I am a SIG guy. Was not sure if it was rated for +P that the Winchester SXT you used. Does not say in manual. Am using the SIG standard preassure as carry ammo. Great write up. Sure wish I could shoot like you.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-25-2020, 06:24 PM
Nice review as always wish that you would do one on a Glock 48

MrWolf
04-25-2020, 08:40 PM
Danngit Howard. Been looking at the Hellcat and was undecided. Like you I have the M&P shield but prefer my M&P 45c. I did the trigger upgrade to the 45c. You made a Freudian slip mentioning the M&P earlier 8-) Have you fired the M&P 45c and if so how would you compare them?
Thanks
Ron

Lloyd Smale
04-26-2020, 06:05 AM
yup it looks kind of like a miniature High Point! But then what black gun is pretty.

am44mag
04-26-2020, 06:30 AM
I think the guys commenting about it's appearance are kind of missing the point. It's not meant to show off. It was made to be concealed and to have as many rounds in a small gun as possible.

Hrfunk
04-26-2020, 06:37 AM
Danngit Howard. Been looking at the Hellcat and was undecided. Like you I have the M&P shield but prefer my M&P 45c. I did the trigger upgrade to the 45c. You made a Freudian slip mentioning the M&P earlier 8-) Have you fired the M&P 45c and if so how would you compare them?
Thanks
Ron

Thanks! Yes, I’ve fired a Shield .45 and I thought it was a good pistol. Compared to the Hellcat, it’s bigger and holds fewer rounds but I expect the reliability is about the same. I’ve spent years shooting various M&P pistols, and their sights are certainly adequate, but I really like the sights on the Hellcat. You can’t really go wrong with either one. Thanks for watching!

Howard

txbirdman
04-26-2020, 09:49 AM
Looks like a lot of mass on the top end. I suspect that high bore axis has something to do with that snappy recoil you mentioned. Certainly a good shooter.

pjames32
04-26-2020, 02:31 PM
Good review HR!

Hrfunk
04-27-2020, 08:41 AM
Good review HR!

Thank you!

Howard

Idaho45guy
04-28-2020, 07:03 AM
I fondled both guns endlessly in the gun shop and decided on the P365. The only reason was that the P365 was available with a safety, and for a gun that could conceivably be carried in the pocket, I wanted the option of a manual safety.

Otherwise, I like the Hellcat a tad better.

But, after having my P365 for a few months now, I have zero regrets. It is an incredibly accurate and reliable little pistol that soaks up recoil and is a joy to shoot.

I bought the Tac Pac package which came with three 12-round magazines. Wonderful little pistol. The Hellcat is just as good.

I don't understand why anyone would carry half the rounds in a larger pistol that is less accurate and less easy to shoot and conceal comfortably. But, common sense ain't all that common these days.

Hrfunk
04-28-2020, 07:45 AM
I'm glad you like your 365, and I hope it serves you well for a long time. I'm on the other side of the fence in terms of a safety. I prefer not to have a manual safety on my pistol (or at least on this type of a pistol). I was shooting with my son over the weekend, and he handed me his Shield to shoot. Sure enough the safety was on, and sure enough it took me a second or two to figure out why it wouldn't fire. I don't want to deal with that under stress.

Howard

Idaho45guy
04-28-2020, 08:06 AM
I'm glad you like your 365, and I hope it serves you well for a long time. I'm on the other side of the fence in terms of a safety. I prefer not to have a manual safety on my pistol (or at least on this type of a pistol). I was shooting with my son over the weekend, and he handed me his Shield to shoot. Sure enough the safety was on, and sure enough it took me a second or two to figure out why it wouldn't fire. I don't want to deal with that under stress.

Howard

The safety debate is endless and both sides make good points.

What matters is that the owner is comfortable with whatever they chose.

The P365s had a dark cloud over them for the first couple of years of production due to striker issues, dragging primer strikes, and sights going bad.

I waited until all of the issues were resolved before buying mine and was rewarded with a 100% reliable pistol.

I've heard of a couple of folks having issues with their new Hellcats, but nothing as widespread as the Sigs.

Hopefully yours continues to bring a smile to your face. My previous deep carry gun was a SA XDS 40 and it was a great little gun. But 6 rounds was just not enough. Now I have 12 and am happy.

MrWolf
04-28-2020, 08:20 AM
I am having a tough time on deciding if I need another carry. My S&W M&P 45c has no safety and is an 8+1. I love the feel of it and did the Apex trigger job on it. I also have an XDm 10mm that fits my hand nicely (not a concealed option but a grip consideration) which is why I liked Howard's review as finding a Hellcat around here probably won't happen. I happen to like the S&W 380 ez over the 9 version both of which I had gotten for my gf to try. Both fit nicely in the lower right bottom cargo pants pocket of my Duluth pants. I usually carry my 45c in a concealed carry vest that I really like. I will probably keep tossing this back and forth for awhile.

missionary5155
04-30-2020, 06:51 PM
Thank you for another well done review ! I got hooked watching your Police Qualification tests.

Hrfunk
04-30-2020, 08:05 PM
Thank you! I’m glad you liked them.

Howard