PDA

View Full Version : 1911 80% frame builds

Ballard
04-25-2020, 12:40 AM
Would love to hear from anyone who has went this route. Share experiences. Give tips. Thanks

oldred
04-25-2020, 10:20 AM
Not an 80% build but I recently started one from scratch using a piece of 4140. I know that's no help for your question but I too would be interested in about anything and everything about building one of these pistols, maybe we can get a good discussion going about this.

Over on gunbroker there is a guy who is selling high quality 80% frames with a nicely checkered front strap for only $109 that are supposed to be from surplus factory stock but where ever they come from they look super good, looking at one of those a guy had at the local gun shop is what got me interested in doing this. The same guy has slides of the same high quality for $99, the slides are completely machined except for sight dovetails.

oldred
04-27-2020, 08:09 PM
Well looks like we might be it in this endeavor?:sad: So what do you have and what are you planing on building? I am building a 1911 A1 Government model like the WWII era Colt I have carried for many years so the plan is to just copy it part for part.

ScrapMetal
04-27-2020, 10:57 PM
I've got an %80 frame but I haven't had the time to get started on it. Heck I haven't even been able to decide on whose slide to go with.

Be sure to post your progress so I can follow (and be shamed in to starting :mrgreen:)

-Ron

FLINTNFIRE
04-28-2020, 12:35 AM
Same as scrapmetal , have some have not bought the parts yet , its a get around to it project.