PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 5-0-5 question.

Jake McCracken
04-24-2020, 02:56 PM
Let me start by saying this is NOT a 'for sale' post!

I recently acquired a box of reloading equipment. In the box was a new RCBS 505 scale. This would make 3 for me... so i decided to watch a few listings on ebay to see if it's worth selling one. Strangely there's a few listed for buy it now for $40 to $50 "buy it now" but some of the auctions went as high as $80!

I can tell by the 3 I have there are differences in all 3 of them. Maybe over the years they changed them slightly, I don't know. I do know they all measure weight pretty damn close to each other.

My question is, is there a 505 scale thats worth more than another? Like a collectable or sought after one?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

45-70 Chevroner
04-24-2020, 03:31 PM
I had a 505 that I bought in Oregon when we went on vacation there. I paid $30.00 for it at a second store. I didn't even check it out until we got back home here in Arizona. I thought I had gotten a real good deal until I discovered that it was a Metric scale. I had it for about a year, and finally put it on here to sell, I put a price of $50.00 on it indicating it was a Metric, it did sell for that price and after shipping I think I made $15.00 on it. I've got an other 505 that I've been using for years. I also have two digital scales and really like them, they are much faster. As for your question, I don't think there is much collector value for RCBS equipment.

Jake McCracken
04-24-2020, 04:01 PM
As for your question, I don't think there is much collector value for RCBS equipment.

I wouldn't think so either. LOL Just thought it odd some of the prices people were bidding these up to. Figured I had to be missing something.

Bazoo
04-24-2020, 04:06 PM
There are both made in china and older made in USA 505s. The USA made ones would be more desirable to me.

nicholst55
04-24-2020, 07:58 PM
The US-made scales are considered much, much more desirable than the Chinese or Mexican-made ones.

Jake McCracken
04-24-2020, 08:01 PM
The US-made scales are considered much, much more desirable than the Chinese or Mexican-made ones.Besides looking for a sticker, is there a way to tell the difference? (I'm at work right now or I'd just go inspect them myself)