PDA

View Full Version : Uniquetek hits a home run!!!

Burnt Fingers
04-24-2020, 11:05 AM
If you run a Dillon press and load 9mm then UniqueTek has a new item you might like.

http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1736

A longer powder funnel for 9mm that's designed for loading .358 coated boolits.

I've already ordered one. Maybe this will stop the shaving problem I'm having with my heavy boolits.

Valley-Shooter
04-25-2020, 12:14 AM
40 bucks is a bit much.
I'll pass on it right now.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

ioon44
04-25-2020, 08:52 AM
If you run a Dillon press and load 9mm then UniqueTek has a new item you might like.

http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1736

A longer powder funnel for 9mm that's designed for loading .358 coated boolits.

I've already ordered one. Maybe this will stop the shaving problem I'm having with my heavy boolits.

I use the Dillon 9 mm funnel and adjust it so I can load .360" Hi-Tek coated bullets with out any shaving problems.
I have bought a few things from UniqueTek but I don't see any need for a lot of there products.

Rgmcfarland
04-25-2020, 07:16 PM
I like new toys but honestly have never had a problem with coated 9mm, 32 anything, or 45. Looking forward to the responses, maybe the longer depth will make a better round?

M-Tecs
04-25-2020, 07:55 PM
I use the Dillon 9 mm funnel and adjust it so I can load .360" Hi-Tek coated bullets with out any shaving problems.
I have bought a few things from UniqueTek but I don't see any need for a lot of there products.

Shaving is not the issue. The issue is the standard 9mm Dillon is designed for smaller jacketed bullets. Loaded some .360" cast and pull them and see if they are still .360"

Burnt Fingers
04-25-2020, 08:10 PM
Shaving is not the issue. The issue is the standard 9mm Dillon is designed for smaller jacketed bullets. Loaded some .360" cast and pull them and see if they are still .360"

Exactly.

I have a hard time loading the NOE ELCO to function in some of my guns. If I load it short enough to run the base gets swaged down and they will have a shaving issue.

I'm hoping this longer powder funnel will work with those boolits.

sigep1764
04-26-2020, 01:26 AM
Exactly.

I have a hard time loading the NOE ELCO to function in some of my guns. If I load it short enough to run the base gets swaged down and they will have a shaving issue.

I'm hoping this longer powder funnel will work with those boolits.

You'll find it works great. Lathesmith made me one a few years ago and I have loaded thousands with that powder through expander. It expands deep enough and wide enough for that exact boolit, the Elco from NOE. The base will measure just fine, provided they make it correctly.

ioon44
04-26-2020, 08:09 AM

When I pull the .360" bullets they measure .359" and my barrel slugs at .357" so this works great for me. Each gun and barrel/chamber are going to be different so you need to do what works for your gun.

One thing to watch with a longer expander is getting a bulge with the taper of the 9 mm case.

Another thing I do is to back the sizing die up 1 turn which is .080" this helps with the brass spring back but I have to make sure the rounds will pass the plunk test and have enough neck tension to avoid set back.

There are many ways to make 9 mm work with cast bullets.

Handloader109
04-28-2020, 10:17 AM
My NOE elco mold was sold as once it was coated (with even a very thin see thru coat and sized to .358 it didn't shave, it was just too long. Couldn't seat deep enough to hold powder except compacted.
Now my Glock and my 1911s will eat anything. Cartridge almost rattles in them. But I've got several others that you couldn't seat deep enough. Yeah, I could alter, but why? I had no real use for a 158gr 9mm round anyway.

sigep1764
04-28-2020, 11:43 PM
I can see that as it was designed for tight throats/short leades, any type of coating could negate that ability. I use a Star with traditional lube, love the light recoil, and the hollow point is awesome. They come out about 151 grains for me.

rototerrier
04-29-2020, 06:21 AM
I just use an appropriately sized noe expander plug before the powder drop.

kevin c
05-02-2020, 05:08 PM
That's a nice product, but the description notes that it doesn't work for my SDB. Lathesmith made me a custom funnel that works fine, but, as the Uniquetek site alludes to and as mentioned here, it took a bit of fiddling to get the right length to actuate the measure properly and to avoid getting a donut ring from deeply sizing the case (from just the sizing; the 147 gr slugs I load are seated so the bases don't contact the thickening of the web; they'll cause a coke bottle look, of course, but that's not unexpected).

Drew P
05-09-2020, 11:11 AM
I run the hornady ptx setup and had to modify a stock .358 expander. Let me tell you that metal they use is some hard stuff! My lathe doth protest!