PDA

View Full Version : Welders Classifieds?

1989toddm
04-23-2020, 05:30 PM
I’m looking for information, if any of y’all know of a advertisement forum or website that is dedicated to and used by welders/fabricators/etc. I’m not looking for a welding forum, theres plenty of those, but I am looking to advertise my welding services locally and online. Already on Craigslist, and have business cards coming soon. Will be contacting local shops to ask for piecework subcontracted out. Any other advice to get started in this field as a one man show is appreciated. I do have fab experience, but not much machining experience, which is many times done in the same shop.

Winger Ed.
04-23-2020, 05:42 PM
Except for me- the whole world is on Facebook.

Ya might do that.

DougGuy
04-23-2020, 05:58 PM
We started a mobile welding business and posted pics on FB that got us a lot of work. Look for community pages near you and post on there.

Thumbcocker
04-23-2020, 06:58 PM
You might sell a few boolit traps on this forum.

Winger Ed.
04-23-2020, 07:00 PM

Good idea, along with different steel gongs, dueling trees, or spinners.

1989toddm
04-23-2020, 10:12 PM
Good idea, along with different steel gongs, dueling trees, or spinners.

I like these ideas! Do you guys care to post pictures from Google as to designs you would like to see? No obligation, just looking for designs.

Winger Ed.
04-23-2020, 10:55 PM
Here's one of my favorite designs:

Midway sells 'em for about $50 and they're rated up to .44Mag.

The wife got me a version of it a few years ago that's rated up to .30-06 since it has 1/2" thick plates.

You hit the bottom ones, and they both flip up. Shoot the top one, and they drop back down for a reset.
I like it. Shooting .30cal. cast with open sights at it from 100 yards isn't as easy as it looks.
The image on the circles is just a paper decal. After a few hits, its time to spray paint them.

Thumbcocker
04-24-2020, 09:21 AM
Shipping costs might be a bear but with the current lead situation one of the traps where the lead goes down an angled pipe into a container might be something for a lot of casters to consider. Keep reusing the lead. I'm not sure where plans are but a little web searching would probably turn them up.

guywitha3006
04-24-2020, 09:39 AM
Try Armslist, like craigslist but for guns and related stuff.

PNW_Steve
04-24-2020, 09:59 AM
I wish you were out this way. Good fabricators are scarce and in demand.

I have pretty much the same suggestions. Craigslist, Angie's list and Facebook.

With Facebook you can "promote" your posts to a target market for a reasonable cost.

Any chance you could build me a bracket to mount a second alternator on my Cummins 8.3?

PNW_Steve
04-24-2020, 09:59 AM

With Facebook you can "promote" your posts to a target market for a reasonable cost.

Any chance you could build me a bracket to mount a second alternator on my Cummins 8.3?

Kylongrifle32
04-24-2020, 10:09 AM
Might try making up some angle iron ingot molds and advertising them here on the site.

1989toddm
04-24-2020, 10:40 AM

Where are you? Your handle makes it sound like you are in the Pacific Northwest. Glad to talk about your alt. bracket, send me a pm with cell number.

trapper9260
04-24-2020, 10:53 AM
If you live not far from any farmers coop ,if you do not mind to make things and repairs for farmers that would be a good place to put the word out. Also farm fleet store will be a good place, custom work some are looking for , years ago I had work for a welding shop and we did alot of work for farmers beside others that had show up. Also talk with hard wear stores.

Three44s
04-24-2020, 11:11 AM
Deleted

Three44s

Dapaki
04-24-2020, 11:30 AM
Todd,

Use ETSY, Facebook Marketplace, Facebook, YouTube, eBay, Amazon, Shopify and others.

Join other forums and advertise within them. Like others have said, find a product you can readily make and go from there. Attend gun shows, trade shows, craft shows etc.

country gent
04-25-2020, 11:18 AM
We have a news paper here titled Farmland news for farmers and country people. If there is a like a add in it would reach alot, same with a few small adds in papers and local mags. Another help is to pay a visit too the businesses you looking to support and drop of a buisness card to them explain you abilities, skill level, capabilities, and time frame. Keep in minf farm jobs can be all hours of the day or night

The big thing getting started is getting established word of mouth is best here. Do your homework and do it right.

country gent
04-25-2020, 11:20 AM
One thing I forgot to mention when customer calls needing work done, Hes not just paying for the actual job ( materials time) but for peace of mind ( knowing the job is done right and no worry about it)

Misery-Whip
04-25-2020, 02:21 PM
I would try truck shops, or heavy equipment buisnesses. Big parts break, and is far cheaper to repair or make new pieces than buy oem. Anything with tracks the idlers can be welded back up with hardfacing, same with bades, buckets ect.

Gtrubicon
04-25-2020, 09:01 PM
Social media, trust me. It’s where people look. In construction, web sites do nothing any more.

1989toddm
04-26-2020, 10:32 AM
The general consensus for advertising seems to be mostly social media. I appreciate the input from y’all! I’m going to start with a shippable bullet trap and some ingot molds(I’ve sold a few molds in the past here).

1989toddm
04-26-2020, 10:35 AM
I do like the word of mouth suggestions for farm shops, hardware stores, feed and farm stores, etc. I have business cards ordered and will start passing them out to businesses when they arrive. Thanks for the suggestion of Swanks Farm Shop, I have seen him around and will look him up when my cards arrive.

Three44s
04-26-2020, 04:56 PM
Todd,

I was at his shop once, it is on the east side of Zillah, close by but in the country at his house. We got off on the east exit from I 82, went north just a little ways as I recall. The man is old school and even does magnetos, those kind of mechanics are hard to come by.

Good luck

Three44s

PNW_Steve
04-26-2020, 05:12 PM
Where are you? Your handle makes it sound like you are in the Pacific Northwest. Glad to talk about your alt. bracket, send me a pm with cell number.

I'm getting excited :)

I didn't notice your location when I posted. I am in Dayton. Almost neighbors :)

PM on the way.

jonp
04-29-2020, 01:55 PM
We started a mobile welding business and posted pics on FB that got us a lot of work. Look for community pages near you and post on there.

stay away from this guy. He doesn't know anything about welding much less cylinder work :mrgreen:

jonp
04-29-2020, 02:02 PM
Don't forget truck companies. They often have trailers in need of welding and put your card out in truckstops. I got stopped at a scale for inspection and it didnt matter to the truck cop that I wasnt using the cracked stake pocket. Had to get a mobile welder there. Bigger companies just call a number but the smaller ones and brokers would be a good bet. So would logging operations.

Also, any place with trucks have dock plates and they need welding. I was just talking to a friend of mine that manages several warehouses and she was complaining about the trouble finding a welder that knew anything and would show up on time.