PDA

View Full Version : Pitbull #4

Battis
04-23-2020, 02:44 PM
A year or so ago, my 95 lb dog (on leash) was attacked by a Pitbull mix. It wasn't too bad - I knew the owner of the dog and he called it off and they stopped fighting. A week later, my dog (on leash) was attacked by a pure Pitbull. This was a vicious battle. The Pitbull latched onto my dog's leg and would not let go. The end result was my dog got bit, I got bit, the Pitbull lost an eye, and the owner took her dog and screwed. Cost me over $600 between my and my dog's injuries.
Last week, walking in the woods, my dog got attached again by a Pitbull - a pure evil dog. My dog was on a leash and the Pitbull charged at him. My dog put the thing down in a second (almost pulling my arm off) then the Pitbull charged again and again my dog put it down. I should have let him go - I think he might have killed the friggin' thing. And then yesterday, a Pitbull broke free from its owner and charged. My dog stood his ground and the Pitbull stopped at the last second.
Thank goodness my dog is big, but is that what's attracting the friggin' Pitbulls? I used to give them the benefit of the doubt (it's their owner, etc) but those dogs are evil, and should be banned. Four attacks, four different Pitbulls.
I'm a dog guy - we just put down our 8th dog in February - but those dogs are bad, very bad.

redriverhunter
04-23-2020, 02:59 PM
well I cant say its all pits are bad I have have three, out of the three only one likes to fight he has be fitted with a shock collar and will not go out the door, back yard fenced. I am truly amazed at their strength. I have a choker collar with the spicks that go into their neck its my responsibility ot maintain control of them. I have came to the conclusion that if a dog is free of its owner and coming at my dog, I will not allow him to defend himself with me holding a leash. I would invest in some pepper spray or other means to stop a loose dog. You may ask why anyone would grow attached to the breed, all of mine are lovers with humans.

Battis
04-23-2020, 03:38 PM
I know what you're saying but this is getting crazy. I had a wolf hybrid for 18 yrs that was registered with the state, and the rules and regs governing those hybrids was insane. If my dog was smaller, he'd be dead by now.

Hickory
04-23-2020, 03:43 PM
Four attacks one after the other.
Where was your gun after the first attack?
Don't tell us you live in an area where you can't fire a gun in self defence!

poppy42
04-23-2020, 03:57 PM
Pitbulls get a bad rap. I’m not saying that there aren’t pure mean pitbull’s out there with the responsibility falls to the dog owner. With that being said statistically more people are bitten by small pedigreed dogs then are bitten by pitbull‘s. In particular Chihuahuas and cocker spaniels. But when you have a 7 pound and under dog nipping at your heels it could almost have a comical effect. Change that scenario around and insert a 50 pound plus dog and it becomes very serious. I spent many years as a rescue volunteer for the American bull mastiff Association I’ve had bull masters for the past 30 years. I’ve also owned and known an awful lot of people that have on pit bulls including breeders. I’ve known and had plenty of pit bulls that I would trust with mine or my children’s lives. I’ve also known a few and I do mean a few that should’ve been put down at a very early age. Pitbull’s by nature can be very independent, strong, and even the ones that are great with people can be aggressive when it comes to all the dogs. Combine that with the fact that we’re talking about a 50+ pound dog with an extremely strong bite and you can have a problem. Once again I point the finger at the owners. If you have a dog that is shown aggression towards other dogs or cats you certainly don’t let that dog run loose. Unfortunately I have certain groups of people that think it’s neat to see two dogs fight personally I think that’s disgusting But that’s another story. The only suggestion I can make is to do what I do I never walk my dog without my EDC and either a stout stick or I prefer a collapsible baton. The sticker baton serves dual purposes it can be used quite effectively in some instances toward offered an attack and in the worst case scenario if wedged between the jaws of the strongest dog it can be used to either pry open the mouth or stop the mouth from closing. I like all dogs people not so much. I hate to hear a whole breed of dogs blamed for a few right now apples. Anyway I’m glad to hear you and your dog are OK but I can certainly feel your pain as an off a lot of people don’t mind their dogs

am44mag
04-23-2020, 03:59 PM
I used to give them the benefit of the doubt (it's their owner, etc) but those dogs are evil, and should be banned. Four attacks, four different Pitbulls.
I'm a dog guy - we just put down our 8th dog in February - but those dogs are bad, very bad.

I used to buy that too. Not anymore. Maybe if a dog owner really knows what they are doing and knows how to deal with and maintain control of these dogs at all times, then sure. They're probably OK dogs. 99% of dog owners aren't that skilled or dedicated to training their dogs. I do not trust pitbulls, and one that charges me or my dogs is likely to end up dead from lead poisoning.

FLINTNFIRE
04-23-2020, 05:12 PM
They are just like any other dog , they are fiercely loyal and they can be just as loving and I have seen bad dogs in all breeds , grew up on a farm shot lots of stock chasing mutts , oh my hunting dog would not do that no it wont no more , dog owners on the other hand just like run of the mill people are the same some are irresponsible others make the animal what it is good or bad , and whats with every one and there dogs in stores anymore , put it in the cart carry it around in their shirt , leave it home or in your car you blind then ok I can see the need , have told more then one big dog owner to back their dog away , sorry about your dog and its history with pits , but any one wants to ban one breed then ban them all , as I have had rottweilers dobermans german Sheppard and other breeds try to bite or get aggressive , maybe carry a can of pepper spray for aggressive dogs or ammonia .

bayjoe
04-23-2020, 06:14 PM
I think Pitbull dogs are really cool looking dogs, but I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw one.
Too bad they have unpredictable temperaments.

Battis
04-23-2020, 06:36 PM
I had a .38 during the worst attack, but what do you do if you're in a park, with kids around, and...AND...in Massachusetts. I have a collapsible baton, mace, walking stick (I broke a metal hiking stick over the worst Pitbull's head - nothing). I also broke the owner's finger when I pulled its collar and her finger was in the way. You can say it's the owner all you want, but four out of four attacks were by Pitbulls. I can go back ten years or so when I had a Collie that was also attacked by a Pitbull. So, five out of five attacks. I'm sure they're loving caring loyal and all that, but my neighbor's friend had a Pitbull for 6 years and one day it walked past him and bit his nose off. I remember what I had to go through with the registered wolf hybrid that never hurt anyone. If you don't want to ban Pitbulls, then the breed has to be watered down.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-23-2020, 07:01 PM
Pitbulls get a bad rap for a reason.

Pit bulls were responsible for the highest percentage of reported bites across all the studies (22.5%), followed by mixed breeds (21.2%), and German shepherds (17.8%).

Mixed-breed dogs and pit bulls were found to have the highest relative risk of biting, as well as the highest average damage per bite. Breeds such as Great Dane and Akita were found to have a lower relative risk of biting; however, the average damage from these bites was high.

The researchers point out that the circumstances that cause a dog to bite vary and may be influenced by breed behavior tendencies and the behavior of the victim, parents, and dog owner.

https://www.aaha.org/publications/newstat/articles/2019-06/new-study-identifies-most-damaging-dog-bites-by-breed/

MrWolf
04-23-2020, 08:13 PM
My pup was 132lbs at the last weigh in about 6 months ago. One of the gentlest dogs I have ever known. I carry especially around my property. Any dog comes at mine like that is dead. Sorry, I love animals but there are a few feral dogs running around. Majority of the time it is the owners fault.

Battis
04-23-2020, 09:03 PM
OK, I retract the statement that Pitbulls should be banned. In thinking about it, I know that I could handle a Pitbull, and control it. I work with my dogs - the wolf I had was unneutered but I kept him for 18 years (not an easy thing to do). And thinking about the attacks on my dog from Pitbulls, every dog's owner was not able to control their dogs. Way too much dog for those people, and for the average dog owner. So, maybe it does come down to the owners. But that doesn't help me when I come across that situation. I don't want to shoot any dog, or hurt any dog, but I can see where it might have to happen.
Anyways, it comes down to education, just like with guns. People take a class, buy a semi-auto, and stick it in a drawer, never learning about it, or practicing with it. They get a Pitbull without knowing what it's capable of, never really working with it.

tinhorn97062
04-23-2020, 09:13 PM
The breed has nothing to do with it, and shame on a person who would discriminate otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommag
04-23-2020, 09:55 PM
My close friend has a pitbull bitch that is as sweet and loving as they get. Unfortunately, her idea of playing is scary to other dogs. She dominated another friend's smaller dog and he responded with his teeth out of fear. The owners of Savannah, (the pitbull) both big strong people were barely able to control her when it got ugly. I snatched Blue(little dog) up and got some minor injuries from Savannah for my efforts. I had drawn my pistol by the time Stacy got her under control. Savannah meant no harm, but she was just so overpowering that Blue felt the need to defend himself and it went downhill from there. One thing that impressed me was that the pit was unfazed by really hard strikes to the head. Barring a cns shot, I'm not confident my little 9mm would've been effective soon enough. I still like Savannah, but learned it's best not to allow her to play with other dogs.

Battis
04-23-2020, 09:56 PM
The breed has everything to do with it, and shame on a person who doesn't see that. As I said, the breed is not for everyone - wrong owner, weak owner, stupid owner, and we have 5 friggin' attacks on my dogs. They weren't poodles that attacked, but those owners should have had poodles.

nelsonted1
04-23-2020, 10:13 PM
We had fila which is a Brazilian mastiff. The female was very, very standoffish. She'd roll her body around the boss's legs Like a snake if she was uncomfortable with a stranger. She was mostly put in a dog room when not well known visitors.came.around. She was extraordinarily attuned to the boss's attitude so after listening to voices and how the tone of voices went she was good. But we never let our guard down. She was exhausting. But with known people she was in love.

A very great-not so great breed. 1/3 of the breed shows little or no sign of the breed attitude characteristic. The male was a 170 lb best friend of everyone he ever met. Way, way more so than a lab.

The problem its a crapshoot getting a puppy. Also, one has to -MUST! -socialize the breed with people or you may wind up with a devil on the defense. I am absolutely in love with the good side of the breed but the defensive side not so much. No way.

These breeds are very dependent on the way the owner is and is a reflection of their owner. Pit bulls not quite as.much but if you have an owner with a bad attitude you may have a dog the same. Also, you have got to be the pack leader but that is true with all dogs.

We had a 12 lb cairn terrior who was an adult when we got the male. He never outgrew being a servant to her. If he didn't get his head out of the dog bowl quick enough she'd grab his lip and drag him across the room, set him in a corner and make him stay there until she was done.

Having the filas-there were others- was an extraordinary adventure but I'll never do it again. The worst down side was they usually don't live to ten years. Losing those two killed.us.

nelsonted1
04-23-2020, 10:29 PM
We had a pitbull when I was a kid. She loved people, just loved everyone but strange dogs or even neighbor dogs would bring on a werewolf.

My brother has a body shop. If people came around with a dog in the vehicle you'd swear you were in a pterodactyl fight. That was with doors shut and the dog in the car was.going huh? What's up?

Another dog we just adored. Maybe we are lucky. Or have been blessed.with our dogs��

nelsonted1
04-23-2020, 10:36 PM
Dad used to tell us some people you'll know for decades always seem to have unpleasant, almost dangerous dogs and others will always seem to have wonderful dogs. He said dogs are often a reflection of their owner

Gtrubicon
04-23-2020, 11:03 PM
Ah, the Pitt topic. To start, some of the best dogs I have been around were Pitts, they are very intelligent, obedient and loving. Then there is the other, which I welcomed into our family. My wife brought him home at 5 weeks, things were good till around 10-11 weeks. He bit us every chance he could. Long story short, @3 years he drew blood from my wife, my 10year old son watching. I came home and did what I had to do as a husband and father. The dog nearly killed me in the process. This was 3 years ago and I still have nightmares about it. I will never own a Pitt again, I live very free, so do my dogs. We have 20 acres surrounded by 300 acres of blm land on 3 sides. Our dogs are free and not taunted, we have livestock, to guard them we have Great Pyrenees, and Anatolian Shepard’s, our house dogs are a Great Dane and a mini schnauzer. They are all different and obedient, respectful and loving. Sorry nelsonted1, some pitt, Pitt mix or bully breed are bad from birth.

WILCO
04-23-2020, 11:10 PM
Pitbulls are fun and cuddly until they're not.

Texas by God
04-23-2020, 11:53 PM
Pitbulls are fun and cuddly until they're not.True over and again. If I want something around that bites I'll raise an alligator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Battis
04-24-2020, 12:17 AM
Wen I was a kid, St Bernards were common, then they kinda disappeared. I heard that they were bred so close that they became too aggressive. I'm starting to see more of them lately - maybe they unbred the aggressiveness out of them.

FLINTNFIRE
04-24-2020, 12:24 AM
Yes fun and cuddly till they are not just like a lot of different breeds I have been around , even little ones can be fuzzy and cute and then go on a full out attack , in the end all dogs are capable of it , pits got the bad luck of to many people breeding for the mean side , coupled with raising them to be that way , have seen trained dogs turn in a second , had a good friends big dog do that bit my arm once and knocked him out of the way to attack me a second time , he was 6'7" and no slouch , and I was in another room working on his computer , have a mix pit of the daughters , sweet and nice right up till it feels someone is threatening the kids then it is ready to defend with its life my daughters dog , I have no use for any dogs any more good ones die sooner or later and a bad one I will not tolerate .

nelsonted1
04-24-2020, 01:06 AM
I've been around dogs that are evil just like people. Horses too. Absolutely untrustworthy. The animal I've learned to absolutely fear are dairy bulls. You or.someone raises them from birth then All of a sudden it'll maim or kill its owner or some kid cutting through the cowyard.
I didn't mean to say all pits are good. There is nothing in earth that.doesn't produce a bad seed.

downzero
04-24-2020, 01:30 AM
My neighbor has three pitbulls and they are the most cuddly sweet dogs I've ever met.

Battis
04-24-2020, 01:32 AM
I saw this cow in North Dakota a few summers ago. You grow them big out there. I think her name is Sue.

Idaho45guy
04-24-2020, 02:10 AM
Pitbull threads are worse than political threads.

Both sides have tons of anecdotal evidence and experiences that mean little to nothing.

I had a pit/lab mix that was a great dog and loved my kids. No issues up to the day I had to have him put to sleep at 15 years old. I have friends who have pits that scare the crap out of me and are ticking time bombs.

There's hundreds of stories of pitbull varieties being sweet for years then suddenly going nuts and killing the owner or their kids. Nobody thinks their dog is capable, until it is.

But, the hard reality of math and statistics bear out that pitbulls are aggressive and dangerous animals in general. Most insurance companies will not give you a homeowner's policy if you have a "dangerous breed" for a pet.

https://einhorninsurance.com/dangerous-dog-liability-insurance/

According to most insurance companies, the following are the more common “Dangerous Breeds” or “Blacklisted Breeds”:

Pit Bulls & Staffordshire Terriers
Doberman Pinschers
Rottweilers
Chows
Great Danes
Presa Canarios
Akitas
Alaskan Malamutes
German Shepherds
Siberian Huskies
Wolf-hybrids
Or a mix of any of the above

Lloyd Smale
04-24-2020, 06:52 AM
son in law has 3 of them. All nice dogs. All play well with my lab. Matter of fact ive never heard them growl. Worse dogs in my opinion are the little dogs, "ankle biters" they my not have the strength to hurt you but they can be mean little buggers. Worse dog ive personaly saw was a wiener dog my neighbor had. It would attack me or anyone else that they let through the door. They had to put that dog down. Even my lab will scare anyone who comes in the yard. He doesn't like strangers and will put on a good show. He allways stops short of biting but most get the heck out of the yard before they find out. We had to put in one of those in ground dog wire fences and he wears a colar. So he doesn't leave the yard. I figure come into my yard univited and take your chances. Ive had labs for 30 years. This one is the only one like that but the odd thing is if he knows you like my neighbors or family he is the most loving cuddly dog ive ever had. Used to find this trait in him a pain in the but. But since the virus crap its not a bad thing that he chases people away and lets you know without a doubt someone just pulled up even if hes indoors. I think the pit bull thing is way overblown. Biggest problem seems to be the they tend to be the dog of choice of idiots and people that like them to be aggressive and they aren't trained from a pup to be a nice dog. Im sure somewhere theres many people that have been bit by the breed you have too and would like to see them banned too. If I walked a route that had my dog attacked more then once I think id rethink where im walking. Got to say I walk with my dog in the woods all the time and the chance im going to run into a pit bull in the woods is about as great as me running into a cape buffalo.

Ed K
04-24-2020, 08:22 AM
Seems to be a mix of the breed and the owner is the root of the problem. If the owner shouldn't really have a dog but it is a miniature poodle one drop kick solves the problem. Note that even a couple of the pit lovers posted on this thread have said things like "have three - one likes to fight but I control him" type comments. Now match that dog with the poodle owner...

Battis
04-24-2020, 08:30 AM
Rethink where I walk? I walk only in the woods and I sure as hell won't change my routine just because a bunch of people didn't do their research when they bought the friggin' dogs and don't know how to handle them. I like dogs, I used to give Pitbulls the benefit of the doubt but, as posted, can't argue with math and statistics.
Go into an animal shelter/rescue around here and the majority of the dogs are Pitbulls or Pitbull mixes. I'm sure the people who got them got great advice from "doggy experts" when they got them initially: "Oh, sure, Pitbulls have a bad rap, but go ahead, get that Pitbull, they're loving and cuddly and great with kids. Or, maybe you could get that cute little cougar in that other cage."

Thumbcocker
04-24-2020, 09:15 AM
"I had a .38 during the worst attack, but what do you do if you're in a park, with kids around, and...AND...in Massachusetts. I have a collapsible baton, mace, walking stick (I broke a metal hiking stick over the worst Pitbull's head - nothing). I also broke the owner's finger when I pulled its collar and her finger was in the way."

How is Mass. on knives? If the pit had hold of your dog could you cut him loose? Couple of stabs between the ribs collapse both lungs fight is over.

Randy Bohannon
04-24-2020, 10:10 AM
We have socially removed canine social behavior, our pets no longer know how to behave with other dogs.In particular city,urban dogs that are only accustomed to what they learn to live with.
There’s a organization in TX that teaches dogs social behavior and excellent training methods regardless of the age or breed or the dogs problems. The problem the O.P. has observed is a dog and owner not in sync with the dogs development. Dogs are social animals with a code of behavior that will allow them to cooperate and be good dogs to everyone and every dog. I will find the name of the organization in TX, very worthwhile to learn some of the techniques.

I have had similar experiences here in Wyoming, you will never have a problem with a ranchers dog doing his job moving cows, he is focused and pays you no attention. The flat landers bring their unsocialized dogs to the mountains and turn them loose on the trails. Dog gets out ahead of the owners and bumps into you and gets nasty, owners have zero control. You and your dog are foreign and a threat to the unsocialized dog. I have had more than one experience with nasty dogs in the hills. I have defended my dog and myself from nasty dogs.
I have been told by USFS and local Sheriff I have every right to shoot the nasty unsocialized flat landers dog that poses a eminent threat to me or my dog.

No bad dogs,bad owners

Battis
04-24-2020, 11:31 AM
How is Mass. on knives? If the pit had hold of your dog could you cut him loose? Couple of stabs between the ribs collapse both lungs fight is over.
I have replayed that attack over and over in my head and it will not happen again. I carry a knife, a baton (sometimes), Mace (might be useless), and of course the .38.
The mentality in MA is different from, say, Wyoming, or even neighboring NH. I was told that I shouldn't let the wolf hybrid run in the NH woods because if it "ran a deer" it could be shot. One time, when the wolf was 15, he got loose and was wandering around downtown (MA). The local Doggy Officer "arrested" him and told me that she could shoot that wolf on sight (I was a cop at the time - coulda been a problem). I paid a fine, got the wolf back, then I called the MA Environmental Police (they issued the permit for the wolf) and they told me that THEY could shoot him on sight but the local doggy officer had absolutely no jurisdiction over the wolf, and she never should have "apprehended" him. So they called the Doggy Officer and reamed her for overstepping her bounds.
The unneutered wolf had his way with a young Yellow Lab that I had just rescued, and, yep, they had a puppy. I brought the puppy to my vet. He asked me if the wolf was the father, and when I said yes he said he had to put the puppy down (you can't breed them). He told me to bring the puppy to another vet and don't mention who the father was. That great dog lived another 16 years.
Yet, there's no restrictions on Pitbulls.

Bantou
04-24-2020, 02:27 PM
I have an American Bulldog mix that is a sweet heart with people but not so much with other dogs. He is good until the other dog does something aggressive or one of my other dogs starts growing at the newcomer. If either of those two things occur it flips him into a protection mindset and he is like a whole different dog. It is entirely my fault, I didn’t socialize him much with other dogs as a puppy. If I take him on a walk he wears a BEEFY harness with a solid leash instead of the retractable kind. He does pretty well on a leash but I wouldn’t let him just roam the neighborhood unattended. I keep him on a short lease while walking. I’m not worried about him attacking a person (half the neighborhood scratches his ears when they walk by the fence) but I would hate for him to get hold of a small dog. That said, even in full protection mode, if I bark no at him with real authority he will back down. I still wouldn’t take him anywhere around other dogs without a leash. You have to know your dog and know it’s limitations.

FLINTNFIRE
04-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Yep dog threads just like cat threads seem to get the opposite reactions from people , have no dog in the fight myself , wont have a unsocial animal at all , dad did not put up with animals that had unruly dispositions did not matter if it was cat dog horse or cow , some got ate and others used for fertilizer , I have seen people get more emotional over a animal then a human priority is a little off there .

Ickisrulz
04-24-2020, 02:56 PM
It is not the breed, it is the people attracted to the breed. I remember when Doberman Pinschers were the worst dogs out there. Then it was rottweilers. Now it is pitbulls. These breeds were all procured by the same types of people because they had the image of toughness.

My family has had pit bulls for the last 20+ years. We have never had a problem with them being aggressive. In fact, they are too friendly.

Battis
04-24-2020, 02:58 PM
My family has had pit bulls for the last 20+ years. We have never had a problem with them being aggressive]
That's because you're the right type of person to have a Pitbull. I see people around here that can't even control their kids and they think they can control a Pitbull.

Texas by God
04-24-2020, 03:00 PM
Yep dog threads just like cat threads seem to get the opposite reactions from people , have no dog in the fight myself , wont have a unsocial animal at all , dad did not put up with animals that had unruly dispositions did not matter if it was cat dog horse or cow , some got ate and others used for fertilizer , I have seen people get more emotional over a animal then a human priority is a little off there .Same here. 1000%.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jonp
04-24-2020, 03:06 PM
The owners of pitbulls will tell you they have the Gandhi of pitbulls. Everyone else knows differently. I never let my guard down around one.

Imho the worst are chows

04-24-2020, 03:08 PM
Had many occasion to deal with Pitt's and other dogs over my career. On one raid a Sgt was bitten high on the inner thigh by a pitt and it wouldn't let go. He shot the dog several times with his .38 with no effect. One of his shots even entered his own leg. The only way the dog was taken off was with the raid maul. I'm a dog lover and my Shepard is the most spoiled thing on 4 feet. On the job I was required to put down a lot of dogs and the handgun was always the least effect method.

Battis
04-24-2020, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I get a little emotional over Pitbull attacks (it's called anger) since I'm walking around with a scar on my leg and I'm out over $600, plus the fact that my dog, who is a great dog that would harm no one (except squirrels) has to put up with the BS Pitbull attacks. If the word gets out that they can be vicious, then maybe the wrong types of people will stop getting them.

flyingmonkey35
04-24-2020, 03:23 PM
Ok first off Dogs for the most part are extremely loaly an protective of thier owners/ masters and what they consider their territory.

With that in mind some dog breeds are worse then others as seeing everything as a threat.

As a kid I was chased by dogs that would jump the fence if you were on the other side of the street from them.

I've had to pepper spray two dogs while wearing a uniform. 1 of those was just getting out of my patrol car at my own appartment building.

I dont care what breed of dog it is. if it charges me now it will not live to do it again.

As a dog owner since I was born. I love all animals. But I will not be bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bantou
04-24-2020, 03:46 PM
Ok first off Dogs for the most part are extremely loaly an protective of thier owners/ masters and what they consider their territory.

With that in mind some dog breeds are worse then others as seeing everything as a threat.

As a kid I was chased by dogs that would jump the fence if you were on the other side of the street from them.

I've had to pepper spray two dogs while wearing a uniform. 1 of those was just getting out of my patrol car at my own appartment building.

I dont care what breed of dog it is. if it charges me now it will not live to do it again.

As a dog owner since I was born. I love all animals. But I will not be bit.

As a dog owner. If my dog charged you I would 100% support your decision. I love my dogs and my bulldog is my baby but if I ever see him go after a person unprovoked I’ll put him down myself. The only time I think he would be aggressive with a person though is if they were after my daughter. He watches over her like a mother hen.

flyingmonkey35
04-24-2020, 03:59 PM
As a dog owner. If my dog charged you I would 100% support your decision. I love my dogs and my bulldog is my baby but if I ever see him go after a person unprovoked I’ll put him down myself. The only time I think he would be aggressive with a person though is if they were after my daughter. He watches over her like a mother hen.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat is not neccessary unprovoked. Again some times to loyal.

Whe I was a 19 year old the family dog a Beegal adopted my little sisters. If I was teasing them he did not like it. And would warn me away.

alfadan
04-24-2020, 07:25 PM
Someone can own a pitbull, but don't be upset if I don't like it or trust it. Yippy dogs may bite more, but they don't crush skulls.

Bantou
04-24-2020, 07:51 PM
That is not neccessary unprovoked. Again some times to loyal.

Whe I was a 19 year old the family dog a Beegal adopted my little sisters. If I was teasing them he did not like it. And would warn me away.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by unprovoked. If somebody is messing with my daughter and he gets defensive, even if they were just teasing her, then it was provoked. Dogs have a hard time differentiating between people playing and actually being aggressive. My uncle had a dog that would nip at him anytime he rough housed with us. The dog wasn’t a bad dog or aggressive in any sense of the word, he was just very protective of “his kids.” If we wanted to play rough we just put the dog up first.

Unprovoked to me is somebody just walking down the street or otherwise not giving the dog any reason to feel threatened.

Bantou
04-24-2020, 07:53 PM
Someone can own a pitbull, but don't be upset if I don't like it or trust it. Yippy dogs may bite more, but they don't crush skulls.

I watch Heelers a lot closer than I do pits. Typically a pit will let you know right away if it is going to be aggressive, a heeler will play nice until it is in striking range.

brass410
04-24-2020, 08:29 PM
worst bite I've ever had came from a ill tempered Jack Russell if those dogs weighed 35 lbs they'd be banned the world over. I have been bitten by horses, hogs, farm dogs (mutts) even pitties JR is the winner for tenacity, to little to hit with anything and if you tried shoot it, would probably end up self inflicted wound they get right up close and bite on and shake.

Murphy
04-24-2020, 09:09 PM
I should know better, however I'm going to put in my 2 cents on the issue of pitbulls.

I retired this past July after spending 35 years working for a small city of 7,000. Half of those years, I spent working as a line crewman / service call tech. Our meters were manually read every month, a little over 3,000 of them. I was in and out of 600-700 yards per month easily.

Dog's? They're all capable of biting a person, no exceptions. Pitbulls? I've dealt with 100's of them over the years. Yes, some were dangerous, no doubt. I've also known some who are at the Rainbow Bridge waiting on their owners. They never harmed a soul their entire lives.

The single most abused, mistreated K9 I know of? Pitbulls.

Murphy

Bantou
04-24-2020, 09:24 PM
I should know better, however I'm going to put in my 2 cents on the issue of pitbulls.

I retired this past July after spending 35 years working for a small city of 7,000. Half of those years, I spent working as a line crewman / service call tech. Our meters were manually read every month, a little over 3,000 of them. I was in and out of 600-700 yards per month easily.

Dog's? They're all capable of biting a person, no exceptions. Pitbulls? I've dealt with 100's of them over the years. Yes, some were dangerous, no doubt. I've also known some who are at the Rainbow Bridge waiting on their owners. They never harmed a soul their entire lives.

Murphy

I’ll second that. Our meters are electronically read now thankfully but we still deal with dogs on a regular basis. Like I said above, I’ve noticed that a pit bull will usually make it pretty obvious right of the bat if they are going to play nice or not. I’ve run across pits that were so mean I wouldn’t even get close to the gate. I’ve also had one follow us around the neighborhood like a duckling. He would come running out when we drove by in the morning and follow us around all day while we worked. At the end of the day we would load him in the belly of the bucket and drop him off at his house. He wore my Forman out, every time my Forman put a stake down the dog would come steal it. This was followed by a five minute chase and eventual defeat. We went through a lot of stakes that week lol. The ones I hate are blue heelers. They like to play nice until you turn your back and then the devil comes out.

Murphy
04-24-2020, 11:12 PM
I’ll second that. Our meters are electronically read now thankfully but we still deal with dogs on a regular basis. Like I said above, I’ve noticed that a pit bull will usually make it pretty obvious right of the bat if they are going to play nice or not. I’ve run across pits that were so mean I wouldn’t even get close to the gate. I’ve also had one follow us around the neighborhood like a duckling. He would come running out when we drove by in the morning and follow us around all day while we worked. At the end of the day we would load him in the belly of the bucket and drop him off at his house. He wore my Forman out, every time my Forman put a stake down the dog would come steal it. This was followed by a five minute chase and eventual defeat. We went through a lot of stakes that week lol. The ones I hate are blue heelers. They like to play nice until you turn your back and then the devil comes out.

10-4 on those Blue Heelers. They've almost gotten all our meters swapped over to electronic as well. I understand people having fear of some breeds of dogs. And some people just fear them period. Usually they have a reason. I've had mostly nothing but bad lucky with horses my entire life. I recall maybe 3 times I ever rode a horse that it turned out okay. Back in the late 70's, I stepped out of a saddle (horse ride #3 that didn't go bad, but it was an extremely short ride) and swore I'd never get back on one. And I haven't. Seemed the smartest thing to do in my book. I don't hate em' mind you. I'll even help save one if it needs it. Dealing with dogs as we have, you have to learn about dogs in general. Their body language...etc. Running from them is pretty much a guarantee you're going to get bit, regardless of the breed.

Yes sir, when you work for a utility company that requires going in and out of yards a lot, it's best to learn dogs. Truth be told, I actually miss a lot of my 4 legged friends more than most of my former coworkers.

Murphy

reloader28
04-25-2020, 12:14 AM
Randy Bohannon 100%.
I've been chewed up. I've had 2 nasty and bloody experiences with dogs (not necessarily pit bulls) and I go nowhere without a pistol now. On the RARE instance that I set my gun down (for work), I have a 4" fixed blade on my belt in the center of my back that is handy for either hand in an instant.
For those of you that think you can handle even a medium sized dog, think again. It is pure fury with teeth. If you have no weapon, you shove your hand as far down its throat as you can. It worked for me.
If I feel a threat to me or mine, the dog will get a bullet even right in front of the owner

poppy42
04-25-2020, 12:54 AM
Pitbull threads are worse than political threads.

Both sides have tons of anecdotal evidence and experiences that mean little to nothing.

I had a pit/lab mix that was a great dog and loved my kids. No issues up to the day I had to have him put to sleep at 15 years old. I have friends who have pits that scare the crap out of me and are ticking time bombs.

There's hundreds of stories of pitbull varieties being sweet for years then suddenly going nuts and killing the owner or their kids. Nobody thinks their dog is capable, until it is.

But, the hard reality of math and statistics bear out that pitbulls are aggressive and dangerous animals in general. Most insurance companies will not give you a homeowner's policy if you have a "dangerous breed" for a pet.

https://einhorninsurance.com/dangerous-dog-liability-insurance/

According to most insurance companies, the following are the more common “Dangerous Breeds” or “Blacklisted Breeds”:

Pit Bulls & Staffordshire Terriers
Doberman Pinschers
Rottweilers
Chows
Great Danes
Presa Canarios
Akitas
Alaskan Malamutes
German Shepherds
Siberian Huskies
Wolf-hybrids
Or a mix of any of the above
And I’m my opinion that list is a load of bull Just an insurance company’s way of trying to get more money out of you

poppy42
04-25-2020, 12:57 AM

Murphy

Amen to that brother

Lloyd Smale
04-25-2020, 06:01 AM
there it is, the real truth. Same people that owned those pit that attacked you would have a different breed if they couldn't have a pit and its would be just as mean. Another poster said theres more of them at the pound then any other dog. WHY? because there cheap to buy and low income skum that like to think there a bad you know what buy them. they have them for a year, encourage them to be mean then get tired of it and dump them or turn them loose to fend for themselves. Its not the dog that needs punishing. A dog is only what its trained to be or reverts back to its wolf genetics if not trained. If a dog bites you 9 times out of 10 its the fault of the owner not the dog. Bottom line is the only reason that pits get the rep and Dobermans and shepherds aren't heard about near as much is theres 50 pits to every doby or Shepard in this country. The trailer trash cant afford a 500 dollar Doberman or Shepard. Which by the way are very smart and gentle dogs if trained right. Like ickisrus and few others said.

A dog is just the mirror of who trained it. Doesn't matter much the bread. Pits to me are a target of people who just don't like dogs. Kind of like a liberal thinks an ar15 or glock with a 18 round mag is going to jump up off the table and kill there kid. Some claim they would fight to keep there rights to own a gun. Well I know a few that have pits that all I can say is good luck if you want to take a part of there family away. Then we have a poster that says how be you know what if im going to change where I walk because I got attacked THREE OR FOUR TIMES by a dog. Are you nuts. Would you walk a trail you knew had wolves or bears known to attack frequenting it. Would you say you aren't changing nothing if a wolf attacked!! Seems to me after the second time any intelligent person would be either moving on or come strapped! That sure sounds like an odd section of woods anyway that is lousy with pit bulls. Was it the same dog? Is there a pack? Did the police check it out? Did you report it? Id think if it was true the police would have stepped in long ago and dealt with the owners and or shot the dogs. Something just doesn't seem right. I don't know of a single person that's been attacked by dogs twice unless he was just the type the provoked them. But 3 or 4 times on the same walking trail?? :coffee:
It is not the breed, it is the people attracted to the breed. I remember when Doberman Pinschers were the worst dogs out there. Then it was rottweilers. Now it is pitbulls. These breeds were all procured by the same types of people because they had the image of toughness.

My family has had pit bulls for the last 20+ years. We have never had a problem with them being aggressive. In fact, they are too friendly.

Battis
04-25-2020, 06:03 AM
All the stories of how cuddly and warm and mistreated Pitbulls are, and how all dogs can be good or bad is all well and good, but the problem is that the wrong people will keep getting them based on those BS stories. I can listen to story after story of how great and loyal they are, and how great they are with kids bla bla bla, but nothing will change the fact that my dog has been attacked by four in the last year or so - no other dog breed has attacked him. What, I just happened to come across four Pitbulls that aren't cuddy and warm? There's a reason why Pitbulls are the #1 choice of drug dealers.
I changed my stance slightly from the beginning of my post, saying that, OK, they don't have to be banned, but they have to be monitored, even regulated, as my terrifying wolf hybrid was. Look at the stats.
OK, I'm ready for more warm and cuddly and gentle Pitbull stories and more examples of Poodles and Jack Russell attacks.
As far as insurance companies go - I never paid a single penny more for owning the wolf, but they almost cancelled my policy due to peeling paint on my house.

Lloyd Smale
04-25-2020, 06:17 AM
then I can say theres a lack of humanity in anyone that doesn't get attached to there dog. Its been part of human nature since we lived in caves. Mines sitting in the recliner next to me snoring away this morning. You want emotional? Tread on him!! Youd face not only me but my wife, kid, and 7 grandkids. (the rest of my family) Matter of fact you are the exact person that shouldn't have a dog in the first place. My dad taught me that a dog is a responsibility that is as much work as raising a kid and if your not willing to get emotionally involved don't get one! He shot deer, bear not dogs and hunted rabbits with his beagles that were part of our family. Never had to put one down because of behavioral problems. Ill take his way thank you.
Yep dog threads just like cat threads seem to get the opposite reactions from people , have no dog in the fight myself , wont have a unsocial animal at all , dad did not put up with animals that had unruly dispositions did not matter if it was cat dog horse or cow , some got ate and others used for fertilizer , I have seen people get more emotional over a animal then a human priority is a little off there .

Thundarstick
04-25-2020, 06:31 AM
If it's got teeth, it CAN bite! The bigger the dog, the more damage they can do! It's it breed specific? Absolution not!
Some dogs just want anyone to scratch them behind the ears an tell them there a good boy, others hate anyone not "in the pack".

I've got two, a Rat Terrier and a Blue Healer, we have worked real hard training the healer not to use his teeth on people, but will still nip, it's in his DNA! The Rat Terrier is a biter no matter what when it comes to strangers. I have an underground fence and they only leave the property to go to the vets office. So, if folks would keep their dogs on their property, there would be no problems, no matter the breed! I've been bitten (German Shephard), I carry, and will not be bitten again, but if you shoot a dog in front of its owner, you'd better be prepaid to shoot the owner as well!

lightman
04-25-2020, 10:09 AM
As a retired Lineman/Serviceman I also had to enter a lot of yards. It seems ( its actually documented ) that I had more business in the worst parts of town than the better sides. I've defended myself with many things but a can of Wasp Spray seemed to work better than anything. It shoots a strong stream of juice about 20 feet and usually a shot right in front of the dog is enough to change its mind. If not, a face and mouth full will do it.

Being retired now, and having issues getting around, I carry a stout walking stick whenever I am out and about. I would not hesitate to use it on a mean dog. Or a thug. But, I wonder how a good quality stun gun ( Taser ) would work on a Pit Bull?

Like Murphy and Bantou, I could write a book about dealing with people and dogs! Hum, maybe I should?

Idaho45guy
04-26-2020, 07:10 AM
But, I wonder how a good quality stun gun ( Taser ) would work on a Pit Bull?

I would imagine that if you are close enough to use it, the chances are that it has it's teeth sunk into you, and tazing the dog will result in tazing yourself, as well.

lightman
04-26-2020, 09:19 AM
I would imagine that if you are close enough to use it, the chances are that it has it's teeth sunk into you, and tazing the dog will result in tazing yourself, as well.

I don't know much about them so I guess thats possible. I was just trying to think of other non-lethal methods that could be used in public. A big can of Wasp spray works good but would be bulky to carry.

Bantou
04-26-2020, 09:24 AM
I’ll have to remember the wasp spray. I typically carry my bell wrench if I’m going in a yard with a sketchy dog. The wasp spray sounds like a better option. More distance for me and less of a chance of doing something to the dog that will get me called in on.

.429&H110
04-26-2020, 02:42 PM
I was door to door fixing all kinds of things all my working life. Breed doesn't matter. Long ago Boss taught me to hang a towel from my back pocket. If a dog is going to bite you it will grab the towel first. Honor satisfied, dog will shred it. Don't turn your back on it again. Hard part is staying calm, doing it. Dogs smell fear, game on. Later days, we refused service, just don't go in. Became company policy, Workman's Comp liability. Let the house freeze. I had more calls than I could do.

Then I moved to Alaska and discovered bear spray.
Bear Safety Training & Alaska Bush Medicine
seem to go together. Bear spray actually works,
most of the time. Really hoses a dog.
There sure is a lot of juice in one of those...
Make sure you are upwind.

Battis
04-26-2020, 06:16 PM
Being attacked by a dog of any breed in its own yard or property is not the same as being attacked by a dog in neutral property. Dogs are territorial by nature - that's why we use them to guard us. But, when a dog breaks free from its owner and charges across a field to attack another dog - that's not being territorial or protective. And when one particular breed of dog does it four times in a year, to the same leashed dog, one might deduct from the preponderance of the evidence that the said attacking dog is a Bozo No No kind of dog.

FLINTNFIRE
04-26-2020, 08:54 PM
All animals are a responsibility as are kids raise them right or do not have them , I have kids , had dogs , neighbors dog at the time attacked the last dog I owned , I lost a dog they then lost a dog , they never did come looking for it either I saw that a lot people who let the dog roam all over the country side never did look for them after the dog went away , people should value a human more then a dog or there is a lack of humanity , as for caves I am quite sure the attachment had a beneficial purpose , tasty they are I hear when there is no other food , yes geh geh number one chop chop humanity begins with people it is also expressed in how people care for their animals , if you have a dog you have a responsibility to care for it feed it and train or make it obey if it turns mean or hurts someone its time to put it down same with all animals and what they should do to criminals just my take and my reply though as maybe you misunderstood my post

MaryB
04-28-2020, 04:51 PM
I was door to door fixing all kinds of things all my working life. Breed doesn't matter. Long ago Boss taught me to hang a towel from my back pocket. If a dog is going to bite you it will grab the towel first. Honor satisfied, dog will shred it. Don't turn your back on it again. Hard part is staying calm, doing it. Dogs smell fear, game on. Later days, we refused service, just don't go in. Became company policy, Workman's Comp liability. Let the house freeze. I had more calls than I could do.

Then I moved to Alaska and discovered bear spray.
Bear Safety Training & Alaska Bush Medicine
seem to go together. Bear spray actually works,
most of the time. Really hoses a dog.
There sure is a lot of juice in one of those...
Make sure you are upwind.

I used to do a lot of TV/Satellite TV service calls on farms. I carried a lead weighted shortened bat. One farmer hollered get in your truck the dog is loose. I held up the bat and he hollered "Go for it, that dumb mutt needs a lesson". Whack, dog shakes his head and comes at me again. Whack, shakes his head again and thinks about it then does it again. Whack! Dog sits down, looks at me then decides to be nice. Cured that dog from attacking people. He still barked and made people know they weren't welcome. Except for me, he turned into my best buddy when I was out there.

Most dogs would see the club and stop, only had to use it once to defend myself besides teaching that one dog a lesson. That was on a German Shepard that was feral, farmer said he had been trying to shoot it but it knew what a gun was. I was assembling a satellite dish in the truck and the dog bit me from behind. Dog was unconscious after a hard hit upside thehead. Farmer came out and put it down, it had killed a bunch of his chickens and attacked his family so it needed it.

rockrat
04-28-2020, 09:24 PM
Read long ago that a squirt gun or a ketchup squeeze bottle like you would find at restaurants, filled with lemon juice, worked wonders

white eagle
04-29-2020, 12:18 PM
comes a point where you have to protect yourself and your dog
sorry but you leash a killer you pay the price
I have no problem with defending my family whatever it takes

OutHuntn84
04-29-2020, 01:13 PM
People with good intentions that own pits are the problem. Like fast cars, loose women and machine guns. Everyone thinks they want one but have no clue how to manage them. The problem is dogs dont have the same high price tags as the others. So they get a pit and think because it sits or lays down its a good well trained dog...until its not.

If you AO is too populated for a gun i would suggest a good 6" pig sticker and learn how to use it.

jonp
04-29-2020, 01:51 PM
Read long ago that a squirt gun or a ketchup squeeze bottle like you would find at restaurants, filled with lemon juice, worked wonders

Bleach solution in a water bottle will work but the best besides a gun is pepper spray. It will incapacitate anything if it gets in the eyes and mouth.

Mr_Sheesh
04-30-2020, 02:01 AM
Squirt gun filled with Ammonia would be even more of a deterrent, though. It'd sure be nice to never have to even know that, though!

Kenstone
04-30-2020, 12:13 PM

Sudsy ammonia works too, go for the eyes.
Had some in a capped nasal spray bottle with the spray reamed out to shoot a stream.
Used it dogs on my motorcycle/bicycle route, just one dose did it.

There's a youtube vid on the affects of Wasp spray on humans...no affect.
I'm thinking dogs too...no affect.
jmo
:mrgreen:

jmo

lightman
04-30-2020, 04:45 PM
Sudsy ammonia works too, go for the eyes.
Had some in a capped nasal spray bottle with the spray reamed out to shoot a stream.
Used it dogs on my motorcycle/bicycle route, just one dose did it.

There's a youtube vid on the affects of Wasp spray on humans...no affect.
I'm thinking dogs too...no affect.
jmo

jmo

I've never been a big Tube fan for this very reason. 35 years as a Lineman says it works very well!

Kenstone
04-30-2020, 05:07 PM
I've never been a big Tube fan for this very reason. 35 years as a Lineman says it works very well!

um, what "very reason"?

On wasps sure, people no, dogs perhaps what you said...
It could have been your employer supplied you with a product (it) not available to the public.

Here's some vids, don't know how they could be fake, but you can have your own view of "it" working:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Wasp+spray+on+people

you prolly won't watch them though,

Lloyd Smale
05-01-2020, 06:54 AM
must have been lucky lightman. 33 years as a lineman and was never so much as growled at by someones dog. About half of that was as a transmission lineman so I wasn't around houses much but the last 16 years I did residential and distribution work. Meter readers about all got bit once or twice though. They all carried pepper spray in there pocket. Use to tease them. Unlike us they had to wear uniforms we use to call them bite me pants. Almost seemed like dogs hated those uniforms for some reason. We had much more problem with yellow jacket nest in the ground and hornets nests under transformers.

jonp
05-01-2020, 04:25 PM
Squirt gun filled with Ammonia would be even more of a deterrent, though. It'd sure be nice to never have to even know that, though!

When riding a road bike it's pretty common to have 2 water bottles on the bike. One with water and the other with a strong bleach solution or similar for dogs. Really doesn't take much to deter them onto other things but if your walking on the ground probably a different story. I'd still go with pepper spray.

Years ago in college I had a job as a greens keeper at a resort. Glorified water man, actually. Night work watering the fairways and greens. Great job, though. No-one bothered you, free golf during the day to "survey the course for watering" and if I was on the 14th Tee's I could pick up Vin Scully calling Dodger games. Anyways, there was a few dogs that ran around at night in a pack so I got an industrial strength pepper spray from a police supply store to carry in my pocket just in case. One night I reached in the pocket and accidentally set it off. I reflexively rubbed my eyes and that was that. I had not been in such a state since training the Army in the "House" where they doused us then made us do jumping jacks and push ups. Bunch of my buddies went through before me and laughed and punched me when I got out snotting and crying on the grass. Then we all sat and made fun of the other guys running out. I hadn't thought of watching "Taylor" run into a tree full speed in panic for quite a while. LOL

LUBEDUDE
05-03-2020, 04:44 PM
One of my family members had a pit and was a great advocate until.......... it bit the face of a 3 year old.

A good friend of mine had a pit that everyone loved until.........it killed the other family dog it lived with.

I’ve only been to a handful of dog parks. Every single one of them was a pleasant experience until....... a pit would come through the gate. Within 10-15 minutes the pits would attack some dog.

Hmmm, ANOTHER stream on coincidences I guess.

jonp
05-03-2020, 07:49 PM
One of my family members had a pit and was a great advocate until.......... it bit the face of a 3 year old.

A good friend of mine had a pit that everyone loved until.........it killed the other family dog it lived with.

I’ve only been to a handful of dog parks. Every single one of them was a pleasant experience until....... a pit would come through the gate. Within 10-15 minutes the pits would attack some dog.

Hmmm, ANOTHER stream on coincidences I guess.

They are called "four legged buzz saws" for a reason. I'd never have one with a kid in the house or if kids were present. Come to think of it, I'd never have one in the house period. If you have one and keep it on a leash and under control then go ahead I guess. It gets loose and comes at me it will get shot.

Idaho45guy
05-04-2020, 02:45 AM
My girlfriend's best friend is married and they are trying to have a kid. They have three dogs; one is a full Pit, ones is a Pit mix, and the other is a mutt/collie. The full Pit scares the crap out of me. He is 80lbs of pure muscle and just creepy as heck. Very little emotion for a dog. The other two have typical dog personalities and seem sweet. But that pure Pit just seems to be more like a cat. Very observant and quiet.

When I found out they were trying to have a baby, I asked if they were going to get rid of the Pit. Nope. He's their first child. Yeah, so was Damien...

Ickisrulz
05-05-2020, 01:37 PM
The worst dogs I've ever seen are specimens of the little breeds. I've watched quite a few nip their owners. However, I realize the problem comes from the owners who allow the dogs to think they're in charge. Same problem with can be seen with any other breed of dog.

Our pit bulls have never been abused by people or other dogs, are not neglected by being tied up in the backyard alone, and they know they are not in charge. Therefore, they are well behaved.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-05-2020, 05:03 PM
What kind of a dog do you have, Battis? If it puts down pit bulls so consistently it must be a domesticated bear or something!

firefly1957
05-06-2020, 08:11 PM
If you read the local news accounts of pitbull attacks from around the country it is rather alarming they kill people much more frequently then any other breed. Out of the dogs I have for any reason had trouble with over 90% were pitbulls and they just are not that common In 2010 I was attacked in my front yard by a stray Rottweiler and put it down but something was not right with it.
In 2018 I was charged by a pittbull and like two others that charged me stopped cold at the sight of a pistol the owner was not as smart and sits in prison but on newer though not unrelated charges.
It was in the 1980's I first heard of a pittbull A black guy who lived on the south side of Pontiac Michigan I worked with was bragging about his bad dog. A few weeks later while he was at work it jumped though his window and went after his drug dealing neighbor and was shot dead . Two years later I had my first encounter with one it went after me in my own yard (Older house then this one) ! Officially it got run over by a car later I found out several kids in the area had been injured by it as the owner let it run lose from 5 pm until morning while animal control was not on duty.

Some claim it is not "the breed" I have my doubts just to many of the same breed seem to go on killing spree I suspect it is genetic .

elmacgyver0
05-06-2020, 08:19 PM
You seem to be a magnet for dog attacks.

Battis
05-07-2020, 06:52 AM
He's a 95 lb Shepherd Rottweiler mix. Very solid and strong which is why he's still alive, but I'm wondering if it's his size that somehow challenges the Pitbulls. Only Pitbulls - no other dogs bother him. And each time, he was on a leash.

ACC
05-07-2020, 08:46 AM
My wife has 300 acres southeast of Poth Texas. People dump dogs (mostly Pit Bulls out in that area). My wife is afraid to go out there by herself, and I ALWAYS take a gun with me. In my experience, pit-bulls are the meanest dogs, but I think some, but not all is because of the owners. In the last month, I have put down 5 feral dogs, and one of the big problems is that they bread fast, and they attack calves, which is money. My 7.62X39 makes short work of them as does my .357. The 9mm and .38 Special just isn't enough for my taste. They are tough.

ACC

Ickisrulz
05-07-2020, 03:35 PM
He's a 95 lb Shepherd Rottweiler mix. Very solid and strong which is why he's still alive, but I'm wondering if it's his size that somehow challenges the Pitbulls. Only Pitbulls - no other dogs bother him. And each time, he was on a leash.

Rottweilers are a pretty notorious breed. They are responsible for the second highest number of fatal attacks in the country.

Hitler owned three shepherds and the breed is known to be used by police as an attack dog. I can attest to being chased by many shepherds when I was a kid riding by peoples' houses in the country on my bike.

The facts show you have a dangerous dog!

Battis
05-07-2020, 04:16 PM
We're guessing on the Rottweiler part. He has the build and the personality but he doesn't look like a Rottweiler. Definitely part Shepherd. Some say he looks like a Bernese Mountain dog. Facts say that bumble bees should not be able to fly, but they do. He is a dangerous dog, at least to dogs that attack him.

jonp
05-08-2020, 06:01 PM
What kind of a dog do you have, Battis? If it puts down pit bulls so consistently it must be a domesticated bear or something!

I'm betting Akita or Wolf Hybred

Battis
05-08-2020, 07:53 PM
He's definitely part Shepherd. He's fast for his size - he's caught and killed 3 squirrels so far. He's from the South - maybe that's why the damned Yankee Pitbulls attack him.
Here's a pic of a wolf hybrid that I had for 16 yrs (he lived to be 18). The restrictions on him were ridiculous. My kids grew up with him and we never had a problem, but he scared a lot of people with his looks.

Bantou
05-08-2020, 08:15 PM
That is an awesome looking dog. As long as his tail was wagging I don’t think he would be intimidating. I don’t think I would want to cross your fence if his hackles were up though.

Battis
05-08-2020, 08:30 PM
He died in 1999. His eyes scared people - they were light blue.

roadie
05-08-2020, 08:50 PM
Rottweilers are a pretty notorious breed. They are responsible for the second highest number of fatal attacks in the country.

Hitler owned three shepherds and the breed is known to be used by police as an attack dog. I can attest to being chased by many shepherds when I was a kid riding by peoples' houses in the country on my bike.

The facts show you have a dangerous dog!

Rottweilers can be a pretty notorious breed........because many Rottweiler owners are idiots who shouldn't be allowed to have animals. No idea what Hitler owning three Shepherds has to do with anything. I grew up with German Shepherds, never once had problems with them.......nor did having them make me want to invade countries.

Shepherds, as well as other breeds, are used by police as attack dogs......they're also trained to be attack dogs rather than nice doggies, again, owners, or trainers determine the outcome. The case with most pitbulls is stupid owners, who have no idea how to properly train the animal, they have them more as a status symbol. I also believe some of the problem comes from crossbreeding, I think it can create crazy dogs.

Mr_Sheesh
05-10-2020, 05:18 PM
Some people are just plain afraid of to much, too. (Not talking about the OP here, tho I haven't had any issues with Pits, have with a rare few other breeds.)

Service Dog I knew was about the best dog I may ever meet; He was fairly big and had a dark face. It seems like some people are afraid of dark dogs, for some reason. (People are weird...) He was the biggest love muffin... He Grrrr'ed at one person in a store once (I suspect it was a "You'd better not do that." to stop someone kicking him or something? And one delivery driver, he absolutely DID NOT want coming in his partner's place at all, starting when the guy parked his truck. I saw why when I opened the door, it was like meeting Bundy or some other serial murderer type. Bad energy... Everyone else he just wanted pets from :)

But when out and about, we would run into people who'd see him with his 120# love dog happy grin, and ask us if he was about to bite... Some people seriously don't understand dogs!

Battis
05-10-2020, 05:36 PM
Some people seriously don't understand dogs!
Unfortunately, sometimes they get Pitbulls.