PDA

View Full Version : Dillon case counter

ddeaton
11-23-2008, 07:58 PM
anyone use one? I just got a used one and tried to set it up on the crimp die. I dont like it at all

Russ in WY
11-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Had the same experience with one. Just sits on shelf gathering dust now. My 2¢.Russ.

David R
11-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I use the primers to count my loads. Load 100 primers.....

My low primer alarm sits on the shelf too. The rod that sits on the primers I use as a gauge.

David :)

ddeaton
11-23-2008, 11:45 PM
my alarm works well, I would run dry if not for it. The case counter sucks

Morgan Astorbilt
11-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Here are the counters I use. I attach them to the powder measure fail safe linkage, and they count every charge thrown. I've been using them on several presses since before I mentioned them to a tech at Dillon, and they came out with one, and have never had a problem. They're about $7 ea. from MSC or Enco. Look up "mechanical ratcheting counter"
Morgan

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/counter.jpg

missionary5155
11-24-2008, 05:17 AM
Morgan... Nice setup !
I guess I am like David R. I have 7 or more primer filler tubes for my 550 and just fill up how ever many I need. 500 rounds of this, 600 of that...
I made a brass rod with bent end for a handle that always rides the primer colunm down so when the handle is getting close to touching the primer tube top I reload the primer tube.

Lloyd Smale
11-24-2008, 08:03 AM
probably quite a few of them collecting dust in a bin on the bench like mine does.

Geraldo
11-24-2008, 08:23 AM
I use one on my toolhead that has Dillon dies and use nothing on the one that has RCBS dies. It's always worked for me but it's not something I must have.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-24-2008, 09:35 AM
The first press I set up using the counter was a Pacific progressive shotshell press, and it was impossible to estimate how many primers were in the tray, which held about two packs at a time.
Now, shooting three cowboy action matches a month, I have several 100rd. plastic cartridge boxes with varying empty slots that have to be filled. I count them up, and load just enough rounds to fill all the boxes. Just a habit, I guess. All my rifle loads, with the exception of my .38-40's, are loaded on single stage presses, and primed with a hand primer, upstairs, watching TV.
Morgan

WildmanJack
11-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Well, to be honest, I have a Dillon counter on each of my tool heads (3). I love it! It takes a bit of tweaking to get it to count right but I haven't had a problem with any of them. Now I won'
t use the "spring clip fastener, I had to make sure I got the fastener that set under the die adjusting nut. But to this day they've worked very well for me...
Jack

ddeaton
11-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Well, to be honest, I have a Dillon counter on each of my tool heads (3). I love it! It takes a bit of tweaking to get it to count right but I haven't had a problem with any of them. Now I won'
t use the "spring clip fastener, I had to make sure I got the fastener that set under the die adjusting nut. But to this day they've worked very well for me...
Jack

The angle just doesnt seem right on the spring bracket. I was going to bend and tweak, but then had clearance problems trying to tighten the locknut on the crimp die. That was the kicker, I took it off and threw it on the shelf. I am a electrical control guy by trade and can wire up any kind of prox switch and counter, but at times I just want to keep it simple.

cajun shooter
11-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Would like to have one for the reason that Morgan stated. I know that Jack is also in CAS. Have you seen the prices that they are selling for on evil-bay? I have started out bidding on about six of them in the last 8 months and then someone bids 65.00 and I think you have got to be kidding. Morgan I'm shooting 2 a month and just finished my first Frontier Cartridge match this past Saturday. I'm "HOOKED HARD" and can't wait for the next chance to shoot the soot and see the flames and smoke!!

WildmanJack
11-24-2008, 02:45 PM
The angle just doesnt seem right on the spring bracket. I was going to bend and tweak, but then had clearance problems trying to tighten the locknut on the crimp die. That was the kicker, I took it off and threw it on the shelf. I am a electrical control guy by trade and can wire up any kind of prox switch and counter, but at times I just want to keep it simple.

I think the spring clip may have been either for an older model die or to be used on other makes of dies. I can't use them on any of my tool heads..
Jack

ddeaton
11-24-2008, 02:59 PM
I will fiddle with it when I get more time, anyone have any?

Shiloh
11-24-2008, 04:00 PM
probably quite a few of them collecting dust in a bin on the bench like mine does.

They show up un E-Bay from time to time.
There is one there now. I have a couple somewhere gathering dust like the rest of yu fella's. I wonder what this one will go for??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dillon-Precision-C100-Counter_W0QQitemZ300275405833QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item300275405833&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Shiloh

Geraldo
11-24-2008, 04:55 PM
The angle just doesnt seem right on the spring bracket.

Are you talking about the angle of the arm that goes down into the die? If so, you can change that by loosening the small screw and changing the angle.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-24-2008, 06:33 PM
I'd never actually seen the Dillon counter, so I went on the evil-bay site to take a look. It looks like standard ratcheting counter, that's had a bracket attched, to link it to a die. If the arm moves without a lot of pressure, why don't you guys remove the bracket, add a small spring, and link it to the powder measure with a piece of wire, the way I did. The spring takes up a lot of slack, the wire only has to be short enough to operate the arm when the spring stretches, and long enough to allow it to reset when relaxed. There's probably about 1/2" variation that will work. As you can see from the photo, my "fine tuning" of the length, consists of crimping the soft steel wire between my thumb and forefinger. A piece of #14 copper wire should work also.
Morgan

WildmanJack
11-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Nice job Morgan, That would be the cat in the hat for those square deals. use a 550b and it works on the lst seating die. when the booet comes up it pushes up on the adjustable arm and kicks over another number. I like the last stage position as soetimes I screw up a round before it get that far, adn this only counts the finished rounds.. But I just bought a 450 and think I'll use your invention on that. Thanks for the great picture...
Jack

:Fire:

ddeaton
11-24-2008, 07:21 PM
I'd never actually seen the Dillon counter, so I went on the evil-bay site to take a look. It looks like standard ratcheting counter, that's had a bracket attched, to link it to a die. If the arm moves without a lot of pressure, why don't you guys remove the bracket, add a small spring, and link it to the powder measure with a piece of wire, the way I did. The spring takes up a lot of slack, the wire only has to be short enough to operate the arm when the spring stretches, and long enough to allow it to reset when relaxed. There's probably about 1/2" variation that will work. As you can see from the photo, my "fine tuning" of the length, consists of crimping the soft steel wire between my thumb and forefinger. A piece of #14 copper wire should work also.
Morgan

The reason it is in the crimp die is to count real boolits and not just cycles of the machine, but who wouldnt reset after setup is finished anyway? Most of all, I didnt like the way it crowded the space around the crimp die. You would almost have to use needle nose pliers to tighten the lock nut on the die.

WildmanJack
11-24-2008, 07:28 PM
ddeaton,
Lets be honest, it's not just a little crowded, it is a total PITA to set it on the crimp die!!!!!!!!!!! I agree you really have a hard time tightening stuff down when your trying to mount one of them. Took some fiddilin but I finally got it tight and have no intent on changing it!!!!! LOL
Jack

cajun shooter
11-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Hey Jack, You take care of that 450 now. I'm going to see if I can find what Morgan was talking about.Maybe I'll be able to rig one up.

ddeaton
11-24-2008, 08:37 PM
I was trying to be nice

Morgan Astorbilt
11-24-2008, 10:07 PM
The reason it is in the crimp die is to count real boolits and not just cycles of the machine, but who wouldnt reset after setup is finished anyway? Most of all, I didnt like the way it crowded the space around the crimp die. You would almost have to use needle nose pliers to tighten the lock nut on the die.

Having the counter actuated by the powder measure counts "real boolets", not just cycles of the machine. Unless of course, you're in the habit of ejecting charged cases out of the press without seating a boolet in them. .:mrgreen:
Morgan

Morgan Astorbilt
11-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I believe the setup should work with any press using a Dillon powder measure, not just an SDB. Here is one on my Hornady ProJector, on which I'm using a Dillon measure. It has no fail safe, but I mounted the bellcrank for one, so I'd have what to attach the wire to the counter.
BTW, Thanks again, to whomever came up with the plastic knobs. After some hunting, I managed to find them at Home Depot. They sure do try to hide them.:idea:
Morgan

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/counter1.jpg

No_1
11-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Excellent share Morgan! Adapting items to suit ones needs is always a good thing. I do like the Dillon Powder Measure for progressive work. Here is a pic of one set up on my AmmoMaster press. It is the early design that does not have the extra "fail safe" crank. As you can see, there is no "fail-safe" actuating arm connected and it works just fine. Also notice the Dillon primer fill tube used as the primer feed tube. I have had no problems with this set-up. Now to find that dag blamed dillon counter. I will add it to this set-up. Please forgive the sideways picture.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/no_one_photos/Dillon/DSC01078.jpg

Morgan Astorbilt
11-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Nice setup Robert. All of my Dillon measures are of the old type, with only one bell crank. The newer ones don't use the springs to return the powder slide, using what was once the fail safe(modified), as the actuator. The powder measure I bought for the Hornady came this way, and I had them send an old-type bell-crank, and a pair of springs. It looks like you can use another slide return spring, especially if you're not using ball or fine flake powder. These measures don't work well with stick powder, that's why Dillon went to the more positive actuater arm to return the slide. A short piece of a return spring should work to attach to the counter arm.

Morgan

No_1
11-25-2008, 09:50 AM
This setup is for 45ACP (TiteGroup) and have had no problems with one spring but now that you have mentioned it I believe that adding another return spring can't hurt. I was not away Dillon even offered the old style bellcrank anymore. I will have to call them and have them send a couple as well as some more return springs. Thanks for the tip.

Robert

bobthenailer
12-10-2008, 07:59 PM
i dont like or use the low powder sensor or the case counter counter , my counter is for sale if anyone wants one ill sell it at a fair price . leave a pm . thanks bob

bfox
01-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Morgan

I have to Thank You for the idea .
Saved this thread and Finally Got one on My Loadmaster .

Billhttp://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/bfox48/1-2-09002.jpg

flutedchamber
01-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Gordon, you did the same thing that I did...got them cheap from Enco. I was REALLY cheap and waited for a sale on them..back a few years ago. I also tied mine to the powder measure. I figured that it actuated only once per loaded shell..

acossey
01-09-2009, 02:39 AM
check out the counter and timer I made for my Dillon press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGxwM_xNyyo