PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Model 1889 32-20 shoots again!

Vly
11-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Update - 50 yard target results in post #14

Back in mid-October I posted about a Marlin Model 1889 that I had received as a gift from my father in law. In that thread the overwhelming opinion was I should get the old gal shooting again. Here is link to that thread with photos of the rifle.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=37689

Many hours have been spent cleaning the rifle and preparing for the first shooting session. The first area of concern was the bore. This rifle was manufactured in 1892, so was in use during the era of corrosive priming. Many guns of this era have dark bores due to corrosive priming and inadequate cleaning. This rifle fared like many others, and the first 4 inches in front of the chamber is dark in the grooves. The lands are bright and well defined. I spent many hours cleaning and made much progress, but it obviously will never look like it did 116 years ago when it left the Marlin factory. The encouraging thing for me was reading how many guns shot just fine in spite of the dark bore. So there was hope.

The second challenge was the bore diameter. I slugged the bore and measured .308 x .315, not what we are accustomed to in modern rifles. Where to get a boolit appropriate for a 32-20 that measures around .315? Thats where fellow board member Woody1 stepped in and gave my reloading project a huge boost. Woody sent 3 boolit styles of the diameter I needed.

http://www.fototime.com/B0C3EB738F54CD9/standard.jpg

These are the boolits sent by Woody. Left to right they are the Willbird Plinker Group Buy, the RCBS 32-98-SWC, and the Lyman 3118 beagled up to .315. Thank you, Woody!

So with a supply of boolits I loaded some test rounds. I also loaded 5 rounds using a 100gr JHP and 4.2 gr of Unique. The plan was to fire these first to both smooth up the bore and hopefully get some more black crap out. I fired all the test rounds at 25 yds as I had no idea what to expect as far as accuracy. All my j-word bullets and cast boolits fed correctly through the magazine and chambered correctly with no issues.

http://www.fototime.com/AC93A4FCDE6E35B/standard.jpg

They all made nice round holes and hit alittle left of point of aim. I then cleaned the bore again and got alot of black out, far more than the fouling of 5 shots.

Next I tried the Lyman 3118 over 5.0 grs of SR-4756. I think this charge needs to be boosted alittle. The boolits show evidence of tipping.

http://www.fototime.com/7D500CB7181F091/standard.jpg

Next was the Willbird Plinker boolit over 4.2grs of Unique. I only had 3 of these - wish I had loaded more as the results looked very promising. Nice round holes!

http://www.fototime.com/A1A0DC92647A6E6/standard.jpg

I also shot a few of the RCBS boolit and they appeared to be very stable as well. So for a first time out with a rifle that has not been fired in decades, I was very happy with the results. This evening I have loaded a larger sample of the Willbird Plinker over Unique to try next time. Lots of fun with a 116 year old rifle. Much more load development to do.

MtGun44
11-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Well, great news. Looks like the old girl wants to shoot. With proper
hardness and lubed boolits you likely will have zero wear on the barrel in the
future, ensuring a long and useful life remaining for the old Marlin.

Ought to find some rabbits that need turning into dinner when you get
it totally sorted out. Those last three are definitely head shots on a
rabbit.

Bill

6pt-sika
11-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Very nice !

Bret4207
11-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Good for you Vly! I'm still trying to remember to find those boolits for you. CRS combined with a hectic life seem to set up against me on this. I'll keep trying.

KirkD
11-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Excellent report! I'll look forward to further updates.

Cherokee
11-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I've got a couple of those 1889's in 32-20. Mine have been relined because the chambers were so bad when I got them They are great shooters and so much fun. Good luck and enjoy. BTW, AA9 works great for me with 115 gr boolit.

11-24-2008, 02:45 PM
There's something special about bringing old guns back to life. A while back in another thread I commented on an old Marlin 89 in 44-40 I fixed for a friend. Yours sounds similar. I think the one I worked on had spent the first 100 yrs of its life in a saddle scabbard in N Colo or S Wyo..... and showed it. After completely taking in down, fixing the part, cleaning and re-assembling I was impressed by the workmanship of that gun. It was the first Marlin 89 I'd ever messed with..... being primarily an old Win type. I loaded half a doz rounds and fired to check accuracy and proof the fix. History in the hand and on the range is rewarding. :smile:

Buckshot
11-25-2008, 02:55 AM
................Way to go Vly! I wonder if there is a cast design out there of the right size that takes a GC? Of course you have more testing with the PB's to do and it looks like it wants to shoot. Nothing looks wild.

..............Buckshot

Bret4207
11-25-2008, 08:53 AM
................Way to go Vly! I wonder if there is a cast design out there of the right size that takes a GC? Of course you have more testing with the PB's to do and it looks like it wants to shoot. Nothing looks wild.

..............Buckshot

The Lyman 311316 is what he needs. NATURALLY it's discontinued!

GabbyM
11-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I've a Magma 32-96-RNFP-FB ordered and on the way. They are specked to cast .3140 to.3155" from 2/6 alloy. Maybe it will be large enough? Or could beagle it. My size die is .313" but they could probably be shot as cast lubed with JPW.

Magma sells a 32-20-115 RNFPGC that looks like a dandy if you need a new gas checked mold. With that bore however I"d go with a Mountain Mold specified with a larger diameter. Since you can't Beagle a gas checked mold much until you oversize the check shank.

Vly
11-25-2008, 12:31 PM
GabbyM - Are you loading for a 32-20? If so what firearm? I would be interested in how your new mold/boolit performs.

StrawHat
11-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Vly,

Glad you were succesful with the old Marlin.

They were made to be shot. I don't have one of the rifles but I do have two S&Ws in that chambering.

GabbyM
11-25-2008, 02:55 PM
GabbyM - Are you loading for a 32-20? If so what firearm? I would be interested in how your new mold/boolit performs.

No 32-20. at least not yet.

Will have to wait and see what size it cast at. If they are big enough for your needs I'd be willing to sending you a box. Sounds like you need a .316" bullet for a .001" over size. What got my brain gears grinding was my plan to start up 303 Brit bullets. Many of which run into the size you're at. then I'd have a proper size die.

Vly
11-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Got out this afternoon with two test loads to try at 50 yards. First was the Wilbird Group buy boolit over 4.2 grs of Unique that shot well at 25 yards.

http://www.fototime.com/CF4EC4C689C5826/standard.jpg

Some holes have the barest hint of bullet yaw. But that first attempt at 50 yards with the buckhorn sights was very encouraging.

The second test load was the Lyman 3118 over Accurate 5744 at 8.7 grs. I had not tried this powder in this cartridge before, but decided to try it after reading a Paco Kelly article.

http://www.fototime.com/B61ECACA9F97A47/standard.jpg

Group was alittle bigger that the first load. Still not too bad all things considered. This Marlin is a fun little rifle.

Bret4207
11-26-2008, 06:01 PM
A Mountain Moulds copy of the 311316 would be the ticket. Or an Old West in a 3 or 4 banger! Oh lord, I'm drooling..........

woody1
11-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Vly, was it me, I think I'd speed up that Unique load some. I think that 4.2 grain load might be pretty slow. Try working up to 5-5.5 grains of Unique if you've got enough boolits left. What are you using for lube? Regards, Woody

Vly
11-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Woody - Yes, the Unique load is a pipsqueak load - sounds like a .22RF with that 24 inch barrel. I still have a bunch of boolits left to work up the powder charge. You did send quite a few. :) So I will be going with a heavier charge.

I found a RCBS 32-98-SWC with handles on another site and it should arrive next week. So I will be producing my own boolits soon.

I am using Felix lube and shooting them in the as-cast diameter.

Jon K
11-26-2008, 10:35 PM
The Lyman 311316 will be LUCKY if it makes it........mine casts w/WW+12% Lino @800* .3125-.3135, ............yes, that is out of round.
The Lyman 311008(curent prduction casts- same alloy .3135-.314.

You might have better luck with a copy of one of these moulds, and ask to have it made .316.

I shoot 4.5-5 grains Unique in my 1894CL, and it shoots great..........boolits sized .313 and bore slugs .3115.

Good Luck,
Jon

woody1
11-26-2008, 10:39 PM
I found a RCBS 32-98-SWC with handles on another site and it should arrive next week. So I will be producing my own boolits soon.

I am using Felix lube and shooting them in the as-cast diameter.

That RCBS boolit just might be the one if it casts large enough. I believe most older .32WCF rifles had a 20 twist but chances are your Marlin has a 22 twist and the shorter boolit may do better. FWFL is always good. Regards, Woody