PDA

View Full Version : Henry Single Shot Opinions

tmanbuckhunter
04-22-2020, 01:28 PM
I've got the itch for a new rifle again, but something different. In my attempts to commit suicide by wife, I've decided I'd like a Henry Single Shot, but here are the options I'm considering.

357 - Reamed out to 357 Maximum
30WCF - Reamed out to 303 British or 30/40 Krag. The 303 brit would be cool... all the allure of the British war horse with a .308 groove.
308win reamed out to 7.62x54r, or maybe something else obscure and different.

Comments? Opinions? I think any of them would make a great cast boolit launcher, which is also the idea.

EDIT: Mold and dies are not a real issue. There is only one caliber listed here that I don't load for.

NSB
04-23-2020, 09:16 AM
Without an intended use for the cartridge chosen, it makes it about impossible to offer a suggestion. It this is a poll asking what is your favorite cartridge that the Henry SS can be made into......I'd suggest the .357max. Why? There are many, many choices of powder and bullets for that cartridge. It's useful for deer hunting in states where they limit cartridges for reasons of length, bullet size, etc. If I was going to use it for woodchucks or prairie dogs I'd make a far different choice. You'll get more responses if you provide the intended use. Myself, I'd pick the .357max. It's an easy change to make and it's a lot of fun to play with. Good luck with the poll.

Good Cheer
04-23-2020, 10:27 AM
I'm going to have to take the pollster at his published words, that he is interested in reloading and shooting cast boolits rather than necessarily killing something. If he's a buck deer hunter he probably doesn't need my advice on dispatching animals, not even East Texas rhinos (the feral hogs east side of Harris County were showing up pretty darn big before I moved a thousand miles north).
On that basis I might go with what I'm already tempted by (for cast boolits), a .308 rebored to .338 Federal.[smilie=w:
Or that .357 rechambered to a .35 Remington Rimmed.:drinks:

Or a smaller cartridge rebored to a .41 Mag (got that one done already).[smilie=s:

Good Cheer
04-23-2020, 10:30 AM
But if I wanted to get really wild and crazy...:happy dance:

It's be a long arm chambered for the 8mm French revolver cartridge (it's like a .33 Special made by necking out .32-20 cases).

thegatman
04-23-2020, 01:23 PM
Their 45/70 looks good. I might be interested in that caliber.

dverna
04-23-2020, 01:23 PM
Spending a bunch of money does not make sense to me. What is "wrong" with the standard .308? Cheap brass and if you are shooting cast you will reach maximum velocity before you exceed case capacity.

If you MUST spend money...I would get the .308 and rebore/chamber to .358.

tmanbuckhunter
04-23-2020, 01:42 PM
Without an intended use for the cartridge chosen, it makes it about impossible to offer a suggestion. It this is a poll asking what is your favorite cartridge that the Henry SS can be made into......I'd suggest the .357max. Why? There are many, many choices of powder and bullets for that cartridge. It's useful for deer hunting in states where they limit cartridges for reasons of length, bullet size, etc. If I was going to use it for woodchucks or prairie dogs I'd make a far different choice. You'll get more responses if you provide the intended use. Myself, I'd pick the .357max. It's an easy change to make and it's a lot of fun to play with. Good luck with the poll.
No intended purpose. Just another toy to play with and cast for. It may or may not harvest a deer or pig.

I'm going to have to take the pollster at his published words, that he is interested in reloading and shooting cast boolits rather than necessarily killing something. If he's a buck deer hunter he probably doesn't need my advice on dispatching animals, not even East Texas rhinos (the feral hogs east side of Harris County were showing up pretty darn big before I moved a thousand miles north).
On that basis I might go with what I'm already tempted by (for cast boolits), a .308 rebored to .338 Federal.[smilie=w:
Or that .357 rechambered to a .35 Remington Rimmed.:drinks:

Or a smaller cartridge rebored to a .41 Mag (got that one done already).[smilie=s:
See? That's the spirit right there! 35 Remington rimmed? Why not a 35-30/30 at that point?

Spending a bunch of money does not make sense to me. What is "wrong" with the standard .308? Cheap brass and if you are shooting cast you will reach maximum velocity before you exceed case capacity.

If you MUST spend money...I would get the .308 and rebore/chamber to .358.
Not to brag, but I have somewhere around 80 rifles. It's not about need, or spending money. If I only had rifles with a purpose, everything would go except one of my 7mm Rem Mags, my 39a, and my AR. The 308 is a great cartridge and one of my favorite to load for, but it's boring cooked up any other way than a heavy j-word pushed out of a BR rifle or an FAL in my opinion.

ulav8r
04-23-2020, 11:15 PM
For cast only, you need no more capacity than the 30/30 has. No use in going to a larger case. Does not mean you should not rechamber to a different cartridge if you so desire.

tmanbuckhunter
04-23-2020, 11:34 PM
For cast only, you need no more capacity than the 30/30 has. No use in going to a larger case. Does not mean you should not rechamber to a different cartridge if you so desire.

Two 30WCF's, one collectible, one gets dragged thru the hog woods and is about to be a 35-30/30, so I agree, it's a great cartridge and a larger case isn't required for cast, but that's not what I'm going for. This is purely to add something different to the collection that is unique, interesting, fun to shoot and play with, and something not many others if anyone has.

dverna
04-24-2020, 12:40 AM
No intended purpose. Just another toy to play with and cast for. It may or may not harvest a deer or pig.

See? That's the spirit right there! 35 Remington rimmed? Why not a 35-30/30 at that point?

Not to brag, but I have somewhere around 80 rifles. It's not about need, or spending money. If I only had rifles with a purpose, everything would go except one of my 7mm Rem Mags, my 39a, and my AR. The 308 is a great cartridge and one of my favorite to load for, but it's boring cooked up any other way than a heavy j-word pushed out of a BR rifle or an FAL in my opinion.

I was never that bad but sold about $20k of my toys about 10 years ago. Many had rarely been shot and a few never shot. When I started prepping, I realized the only rifle calibers I need are .22LR, 5.56, and .308 if the SHTF. Still kept the .357 rifles, .30/30 and .300 Mag. I have never missed or regretted getting rid of the others.

If you are buying a new toy, get what turns your crank. You seem to be willing to invest so reconsider your choice of the Henry. A higher end single shot will be more satisfying in the long run. There is a long thread in the Henry and it has its issues.

Good luck!

Tatume
04-24-2020, 07:11 AM
I really like the 35RemR. Mine is based on the 303 British case.

crappie-hunter
04-24-2020, 07:22 AM
This group from Henry Single shot 357 Max, re -chambered from 357 mag, buy David White, and barrel shortened to 20" .Lee 200 grain cast Lyman #2. This is not a target rifle for me,it is a hunting gun,and I consider this adequate fro Pa. whitetail. 90 yd group sand bag rest. Someone else should be able to do better ,I just quit with this because it satisfied my need.

Darn sideways photos, how to fix this?

Tatume
04-24-2020, 07:27 AM
This group from Henry Single shot 357 Max, re -chambered from 357 mag, by David White, and barrel shortened to 20" .Lee 200 grain cast Lyman #2. This is not a target rifle for me,it is a hunting gun,and I consider this adequate fro Pa. whitetail. 90 yd group sand bag rest. Someone else should be able to do better ,I just quit with this because it satisfied my need.

With only an inch of vertical, I wonder if your bag technique or a sight problem caused the two inch lateral spread?

ulav8r
04-24-2020, 06:13 PM
Two 30WCF's, one collectible, one gets dragged thru the hog woods and is about to be a 35-30/30, so I agree, it's a great cartridge and a larger case isn't required for cast, but that's not what I'm going for. This is purely to add something different to the collection that is unique, interesting, fun to shoot and play with, and something not many others if anyone has.

In that case, 32/40, 8mm/30/30, 348/30, 429/40, 44/70, 45/75, etc.

tmanbuckhunter
04-24-2020, 09:40 PM
I was never that bad but sold about $20k of my toys about 10 years ago. Many had rarely been shot and a few never shot. When I started prepping, I realized the only rifle calibers I need are .22LR, 5.56, and .308 if the SHTF. Still kept the .357 rifles, .30/30 and .300 Mag. I have never missed or regretted getting rid of the others.

If you are buying a new toy, get what turns your crank. You seem to be willing to invest so reconsider your choice of the Henry. A higher end single shot will be more satisfying in the long run. There is a long thread in the Henry and it has its issues.

Good luck!
I've thought about thinning the collection for a long time, but many of them have sentimental value, some inherited or gifted. Many I bought but my late father was with me when I bought them or kind of pushed me to buy them, so they all have memories. Many I'll never shoot again I suspect, and I'm ok with that. I have many that get shot fairly consistently... maybe 40 rounds a year. Others get several hundred to several thousand a year like my 38/55, and my 45/70's and my Cooper M22 in 308. I have read about the issues with the Henry but they dont scare me too much... they seem fixable.

This group from Henry Single shot 357 Max, re -chambered from 357 mag, buy David White, and barrel shortened to 20" .Lee 200 grain cast Lyman #2. This is not a target rifle for me,it is a hunting gun,and I consider this adequate fro Pa. whitetail. 90 yd group sand bag rest. Someone else should be able to do better ,I just quit with this because it satisfied my need.

Darn sideways photos, how to fix this?
Looks minute of deer to me.

In that case, 32/40, 8mm/30/30, 348/30, 429/40, 44/70, 45/75, etc.
Great suggestions. 32/40 was one I had not considered.

megasupermagnum
04-25-2020, 12:06 AM
I always thought the 9.3x74R was an interesting cartridge. It technically uses a .366" bullet, but I wonder if you might be able to get away with using .357".

Tatume
04-25-2020, 11:56 AM
I always thought the 9.3x74R was an interesting cartridge. It technically uses a .366" bullet, but I wonder if you might be able to get away with using .357".

I tried paper patching 357 bullets, but couldn't get them to work. My 0.368" cast bullets shoot MOA with iron sights, so as far as I'm concerned that is the cat's meow.

BTW, it is an interesting cartridge. Stood side by side it overshadows the 375 H&H, and has as long a neck as any cartridge I've seen. I had my mold cut to take full advantage of that long neck.

DonMountain
04-29-2020, 02:41 PM
I selected the 30-40 Krag because it is one of my best shooters with cast projectiles and avoids the potential problem with selecting a 303 British or 7.62x54 built with a 0.308" bore and someday someone else getting a hold of the rifle and shooting factory jacketed ammo in it with disastrous results.

megasupermagnum
04-29-2020, 10:37 PM
I selected the 30-40 Krag because it is one of my best shooters with cast projectiles and avoids the potential problem with selecting a 303 British or 7.62x54 built with a 0.308" bore and someday someone else getting a hold of the rifle and shooting factory jacketed ammo in it with disastrous results.

You know, after reading this thread, I kind of want another. I currently own one in 308 Winchester. It looks like a 30-30 rebored and chambered to 9.3x74r would be an easy swap with minimal work to the extractor. Now to get Henry to sell barrels...

MT Gianni
04-30-2020, 10:52 AM
Get a TC Encore and you can have all of the above barrels.

megasupermagnum
05-01-2020, 09:44 PM
Get a TC Encore and you can have all of the above barrels.

I had them, don't care for them as they are lousy shotguns. Also still own a Contender. I really don't like that one, and it will soon be for sale.

rfd
09-26-2020, 02:53 PM
i've had two henry single shots in .357mag and .223rem - i would never buy that rifle againin any caliber, unless the trigger system was redesigned as adjustable and down to 2lbs.

P Flados
09-27-2020, 07:23 PM
For a fun 35 cal. break open, consider a 360 DW. It is likely to shoot 38s and 357 magnums better than a Max. Loaded hot and long and you get real close to the Max. Definitely "different".

Cosmic_Charlie
02-09-2021, 06:24 AM
I had my new .44 mag Henry Single Shot all apart last night. Everything out of the receiver. Mine came without the smaller spring inside the larger hammer spring. Trigger had a bit of creep so I took the hammer hook down a little and polished it. Also dressed up the sear with a secondary angle. The pull weight was just fine the way it came. The creep is gone and the trigger is crisp. Only improvement I can think of now would be to add an over travel stop which is a simple drill and tap exercise. The exploded view on the parts list in the manual helped get it all apart and back together.

Cosmic_Charlie
02-10-2021, 09:41 PM
I envision putting a gong out at 200 yds. and lobbing 240 grain boolits at it. And some still hunting for deer which I do because I hate sitting in a stand. I also see this going to one of my sons as it is a lovely steel and wood rifle that should last for a century or more.

Murphy
02-10-2021, 10:21 PM
The lowly .38 Special.

My reasoning is this. For too many years in my area, poaching was a major issue (still is in some parts). Getting caught in the woods or even transporting anything larger than a .22 Long Rifle, was a recipe for trouble with the game wardens. The .22 Magnum was a poachers special for decades and still is. If you're toting a 38/357 lever gun, you're poaching even if you don't have a .357 Magnum round in the truck or on your person. It's pretty much a mess and I won't even try to understand it. I just stay clear of anything in a long gun other than a .22 LR. However, the .38 Special is not considered a legal deer cartridge in Oklahoma. Never mind the fact I can carry any magnum cartridge I want as long as I have my CCW with me (and I always do). So, it'd sure be nice to load up and pick between my S&W Model 17 and Remington .22 LR (I have a couple), or choose to take my S&W Model 14 and a nice single shot .38 Special.

I haven't forgotten a shortage in the not to distant past, where quiet a few fellows got rid of all the .22's and began shooting .38's, it was cheaper. Doesn't seem that way this go around. The cost of one primer vs one .22 LR round cost wise seems to be a dilemma these days.

Murphy

barrabruce
02-11-2021, 08:00 AM
Could try breachseated cast bullets in a 30-30 schutzen style.
Or 357 mag.
Casual slow paced.
Great accuracy
Not hard on shoulders or ears.
Great off hand practice or field position.
Couple of swabs of Ed’s red and your done for the day.
Replenish bullets /lube /primers when you get around to it.
No case prep besides a wipe with a rag.
If you feel guilty you can clean your one case at the end of the day.
Ha

Then you could load some if you really had to to shoot something or think you will miss and need another round.

Daekar
02-13-2021, 11:58 PM
i've had two henry single shots in .357mag and .223rem - i would never buy that rifle againin any caliber, unless the trigger system was redesigned as adjustable and down to 2lbs.

Have you had a chance to handle one which has the new factory trigger? I was surprised at how much mine was improved when I got it back from the recall.

koyote
02-14-2021, 12:31 AM
35 remington. but the 357max is likely to be pretty handy.

rfd
02-14-2021, 06:52 AM
Have you had a chance to handle one which has the new factory trigger? I was surprised at how much mine was improved when I got it back from the recall.

I had a pair of the old Henry H015 single shots, .223 and .357 - just terrible triggers considering the quality of the rifle.

So I'm hoping the trigger has greatly improved with the new crop of these guns ... and will know this week when the Henry .45-70 S/S arrives.

Ramjet-SS
02-14-2021, 10:32 AM
I had a pair of the old Henry H015 single shots, .223 and .357 - just terrible triggers considering the quality of the rifle.

So I'm hoping the trigger has greatly improved with the new crop of these guns ... and will know this week when the Henry .45-70 S/S arrives.

My new 45-70 trigger is excellent clean break very little creep. This gun has exceeded my expectations it has wood that a high grade delux rifle should have it’s unbelievable. I did get some off hand shooting with open sights and at 40 yards printed a 2.5” group. The load was a cast hammer that weighs 460 grains WFN cast of a mix of Lino and printer lead. On top of a load of 14.7 grains of Unique. Recoil is very manageable. This little handy rifle impresses the heck out of me.

rfd
02-14-2021, 10:40 AM
Good to hear, gives me hope that Henry finally got it right. Otherwise, even with a crappy trigger, it's always been a heckuva gun.

Try AA5744 powder. It's the white devil dust stuff that was meant for BPCR guns and won't be location sensitive, and will be lots more accurate than the pistol and Trail Boss powders, out to and way past 100 yards.

Ramjet-SS
02-20-2021, 09:56 AM
I have a bunch of TC encore stuff rifles and pistol both they are great platform. That said the Henry single shots are a cut above the TC stuff. I guess the difference I would describe as industrial vs gracefully executed single shot hunting rifle. Both are really good weapons for a variety of reasons but I will be parting ways with several Encore barrels and whittling down the choices. The Henry I just received is outstanding.

Cosmic_Charlie
02-22-2021, 01:44 PM
In .44 magnum, a rifle adds quite a bit of value to the round. 1200 fps. out of my 7- 1/2" SBH equals 1500 fps. out of the Henry. And it does this while being much more pleasant to shoot.

Drm50
02-22-2021, 05:09 PM
Over priced for what they are. I could think of a lot of other rifles I’d rather have. I had no use for H&R and NE breakdowns either. Savage 219 is better rifle than all three.

koyote
02-22-2021, 06:13 PM
I would expect these to be selling for right at $379-$399 if we weren't in a panic - which is causing ALL rifles to sell for higher prices. I've owned an NEF and it was okay, not a No1, but it was a good introduction to 45-70 for me. MY take on "hand fondling" the henry is that it's a bit nicer.

Of course, if I can get a savage 219 in any of the usable calibers I'm interested in for less, I'd be happy to. spent about a half hour looking online and there's.... well, nothing. can you point me to chaper and higher quality rifles? Right now I'm honestly torn between a $450 henry .44 and a $450 contender 44 (8 inch).... so i'd be more than happy to get a better value that's real world available.

Cosmic_Charlie
02-22-2021, 06:40 PM
Over priced for what they are. I could think of a lot of other rifles I’d rather have. I had no use for H&R and NE breakdowns either. Savage 219 is better rifle than all three.

Compared to what you pay for a Smith or Ruger .44 revolver the Henry is a deal.

Daekar
02-24-2021, 05:32 PM
I can't agree, I feel like the quality and function I get out of my H015 is disproportionate to the price compared to the other guns I have. It does exactly what I want it to, the UX is good, and the price was low even when new from a shop that doesn't go out of its way to give good deals.

Drm50
02-24-2021, 08:17 PM
The price of a break barrel rifle has nothing to do with the price of a S&W or Ruger revolver. The machining time doesn’t compare. I spent some time with H&Rs in 45/70 and 22Hornet. I suppose I ruined 2 dozen springs trying to lighten trigger pulls. Never got one to shoot (22Hornet) TCs don’t have that problem. I don’t own any off them anymore either. My Bro is into them and deer hunts with a 375 Win carbine.

rfd
02-25-2021, 03:57 PM
The H015 .45-70 just arrived, very pleased with it statically, the dynamic tests will depend on the weather, maybe next week. Very pleased with the under 4# trigger, just fabulous. Love the American walnut wood and the tight build and finishing tolerances, too. Probably going to use iron sights, a Skinner rear peep and Lyman globe front.

https://i.imgur.com/da5dVTn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QyKiUZf.jpg

FredBuddy
03-08-2021, 02:37 PM
rfd

I put Skinners on my .357.

Seems to aim itself !

rfd
03-11-2021, 08:00 PM
rfd

I put Skinners on my .357.

Seems to aim itself !

I just added the Skinner rear to try with the Henry blade front, to see what height Lyman 17A globe peep I need to order.

What kind of front sight do you have, and how high is it from the base of the sight to the aiming part of it?

https://i.imgur.com/ezovFpF.jpg

FredBuddy
03-13-2021, 03:10 PM
I put the Skinner front sight on
as well. It's a 3 piece affair and
needs to be fairly high. Plus the
blade is wider than the stock front
so it's easier to see quickly.

I got the tall sight and filed it down
to get where I wanted to be.

rfd
03-13-2021, 03:14 PM
I put the Skinner front sight on
as well. It's a 3 piece affair and
needs to be fairly high. Plus the
blade is wider than the stock front
so it's easier to see quickly.

Does the Henry dovetail knock out left to right or vice-versa? I've got a tall Lyman 17A front globe coming.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-13-2021, 04:13 PM
I'm having some difficulty getting my .44 mag to group. It seems to throw high fliers. Like 3 - 4" at 50 yards. Beginning to think it may be the scope. Rings and base are secure. Guess I will try another scope on it and see. I suppose you can get a wonky Leupold but it would be unusual. Can't recall a new scope needing warranty work.

rfd
03-13-2021, 04:21 PM
I'm having some difficulty getting my .44 mag to group. It seems to throw high fliers. Like 3 - 4" at 50 yards. Beginning to think it may be the scope. Rings and base are secure. Guess I will try another scope on it and see. I suppose you can get a wonky Leupold but it would be unusual. Can't recall a new scope needing warranty work.

Reloads or commercial ammo? Fouling issues?

Cosmic_Charlie
03-13-2021, 08:53 PM
Reloads or commercial ammo? Fouling issues?

All reloads. But that is all I shoot in everything besides .223. I have tried a half dozen powders, j words and cast. I guess I could slug the barrel. Currently sizing to .431.

rfd
03-13-2021, 09:43 PM
How's the neck tension - hopefully very light?

I orient the fire formed brass, never resize, no crimp or any neck tension - single shots are good for that :)

Cosmic_Charlie
03-14-2021, 12:52 AM
How's the neck tension - hopefully very light?

I orient the fire formed brass, never resize, no crimp or any neck tension - single shots are good for that :)

Will give that a try.

Jim22
03-14-2021, 01:11 PM
I have the Henry single shot rifle. Started out as a .357 Magnum. David White in Oklahoma rechambered it to .357 MAX and made the trigger nice. I have a high power scope on it for load testing but will use something else for hunting. I have been using a couple different 180 gr jacketed boolits in it: Speer's hot core and Fury. The Fury's are about twice as expensive as the Speers. The cartridge runs well on W296 ball powder but requires a magnum primer to ignite properly. I have also tried Vihtavouri N110 which is not a ball powder. Currently loading Lee 200 gr. gas check boolit lubed with White's Carnauba. The 180's reach 2,200 fps no trouble. I'm looking for 2,000 from the cast. I have also tried some pistol boolits in it. They shoot fine but I think the jacketed are too fragile. I have a Lee 158 gr GC mould to try.

All told I like the rifle a lot. I would recommend David White if you want work done. He specializes in the .357 MAX.

Mine is steel frame. I don't think I would use the brass one for heavy loads. This is a very good deer rifle.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-16-2021, 09:06 PM
Well, I got things back on track. Slugged the barrel. Larger than expected at .431". Also experimented with seating depth of my boolit and discovered that the barrel has about .10" of freeborn before the lands start. So with my boolits sized to .432" and seated out to just touching the lands I got the accuracy I was expecting. 4 clover leafed at 50 yards. And that was just one load, 240 grain over 12 of HS 6. 1500 fps.

Going to get a leather sling for it, perhaps a buffalo hyde one. Now I wish I had a cabin in the woods to keep it in.
There are four shots in that cluster with a fifth low odd ball.

dg31872
03-16-2021, 11:28 PM
Does any one know what kind of finish is on the steel receiver? The one I got last fall looks like flat paint or powder coating. Not bluing.
Beautiful rifle. Hammer is a little too high for medium rings.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-17-2021, 10:02 AM
Does any one know what kind of finish is on the steel receiver? The one I got last fall looks like flat paint or powder coating. Not bluing.
Beautiful rifle. Hammer is a little too high for medium rings.

Henry's website calls it out as blued steel.

rfd
03-21-2021, 07:47 PM
Installed the Lyman 17AUG front globe, ready to go.

https://i.imgur.com/Q8boM9j.jpg

Cosmic_Charlie
05-03-2021, 09:06 AM
I just ordered a Skinner sight for my .44. Went with the .650" tall front blade. Moved the Leupold 1.5 - 5 to an AR. Back to basics for this rifle. Also got this mold the other day. Should be able to kiss the lands with the nose profile. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-275M

dverna
05-03-2021, 10:31 AM
Installed the Lyman 17AUG front globe, ready to go.

https://i.imgur.com/Q8boM9j.jpg

I like how that globe looks. Nice upgrade.

Is there anyway to mount an aperture sight on one of these rifles?

Wonder what caliber the OP decided to go with.....I am thinking of getting one in .357 Mag. Boring but practical.

rfd
05-03-2021, 10:41 AM
I like how that globe looks. Nice upgrade.

Is there anyway to mount an aperture sight on one of these rifles?

Wonder what caliber the OP decided to go with.....I am thinking of getting one in .357 Mag. Boring but practical.

That is an aperture rear sight, a Skinner peep.

Since it's a break open, a tang or stock mounted vernier peep (as used on BPCR rifles) would have front and rear sights on two different movable planes ... not so good.

Cosmic_Charlie
05-06-2021, 07:41 AM
Not sure what Henry did when they chambered my .44 but there is a good 0.20" of leade before the lands begin. This 275 grain boolit is .432" and loaded into an unsized case. The barrel slugged at .431".

Cosmic_Charlie
05-08-2021, 03:18 PM
For my .44 a .50" tall front sight would have worked with less filling down with the Skinner rear sight. I'm liking this set up. Got it hitting right on at 50 yards with the rear all the way down. Going to adjust for a 100 yard zero next time I'm out with it and see how it hits at 50 yards. If it's not too high, maybe 3" or so I will probably leave it that way. It shoots both 240 and 275 very well over 12 of HS - 6. Nice simple and rugged rig this way.

paul edward
05-12-2021, 09:22 PM

Easy to reload: replace primer, add powder seat bullet by hand. I once had a single shot, break open, pistol in 44 Russian that was a delight to shoot. No crimp needed, bullet can be seated out. Cast from Lyman 429336 worked very well.

Cosmic_Charlie
05-26-2021, 05:36 AM
With my .44 sighted in at 100 yards it is only about 3" high at 50 yards. That is completely workable for my purposes. My old eyes did not like the Skinner sight. I put a nice old Japanese made Weaver 4x on it. Also shot some pan lubed 250 and 280 grain Unique rounds through it. They shot well without any leading. The barrel is very nicely finished on the inside.

tmanbuckhunter
05-26-2021, 09:24 PM
Hey, neat, this thread is still alive. I haven't bought one yet... a bunch of other new guns got in the way. Now that I have a CPA 44-1/2 I'll be getting barrels made for it instead when things stabilize a little.

Cosmic_Charlie
12-08-2021, 02:58 PM
I should be picking up my 45-70 today. Got a Lee 405 hollow base single cavity mold and some IMR 4198 powder. Going to stick with lighter loads for now.

Cosmic_Charlie
12-10-2021, 10:03 AM
Henry manages to find some exceptional walnut.

Cosmic_Charlie
12-13-2021, 08:56 PM
Was out shooting it today off hand at 50 yds was hitting about 7" high and 4" left. Shot 15 rds with the Lee 405 hb boolit sized to 457 and simple lube. Barrel was clean afterwards. Thinking I will leave the sights stock because they are quick and better in Low light than a peep. Trigger is quite good as well.

Cosmic_Charlie
12-17-2021, 07:56 AM
Got the windage sorted by drifting the front site. With the rear leaf all the way down I'm still shooting about 4" high at 50 yds. Ordered a taller front non bead sight from Skinner.

Ramjet-SS
12-28-2021, 10:17 AM
Henry manages to find some exceptional walnut.

Indeed I bought a 45/70 with wood like that it drew me right in and it now sits in my safe and it’s incredibly accurate to boot. 12 grains of Unique with a WFN gas checked 460 grain Hammer. Ragged holes at 100 yards. Easy on the shoulder but will take any North American game. Absolute the gorgeous rifle with well figured American Walnut.

As far a caliber I would like to see them chamber it in? 445 Super Mag with a fast twist.

Cosmic_Charlie
01-30-2022, 09:58 AM
Going to try some AA5744 loads today with 500 and 405 grain boolits.

Cosmic_Charlie
02-06-2022, 11:03 AM
The Henry shot the 500 grain boolits over 25 of 5744 just fine. They shot into the same spot as the 405's over 55 of Swiss 2f.

FrankJD
05-30-2022, 09:23 AM
The new and improved triggers on the current crop of Henry H015 single shots got me to buying one in .45-70 and it's Killer in every way ... tricked out with Skinner and Lyman peeps.

https://i.imgur.com/AT6J0lf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nOGr1aM.jpg

Pereira
05-30-2022, 09:39 AM
I was thinking about a 44 mag. and having it reamed to 444.
But lately I've been thinking about a 30-30, and having it rebored to 38-55.

RP

FrankJD
05-30-2022, 02:43 PM
I think it's hard to beat a .45-70 Gov't cartridge. In a modern steel gun, there will be a huge set of cartridge loading options, from mouse fart smokeless loads to virtual .45-90 PPB black powder cartridges. Enjoy them all.

doghawg
05-30-2022, 11:24 PM
I was thinking about a 44 mag. and having it reamed to 444.
But lately I've been thinking about a 30-30, and having it rebored to 38-55.

RP

I've become a fan of the H-015's since the the trigger upgrade. I have 4 of them and they're all winners IMO. If Henry chambers them in .35 Rem or .38/55 there will be another in the stable. I've not priced the cost of a rechamber/rebore though.

Jedman
06-02-2022, 08:40 AM
300894I just acquired a Henry H 015 that was a 357 mag that was rechambered to 35 Remington rimmed and rimless.
I have not fired it yet but I need to mount a scope on it probably a fixed 4 X and see how it shoots.
My initial impression is that it is a higher quality rifle than the H&R handi rifle or the Savage 219’s and has a nicely figured walnut stock and fit and finish is better. There are no stamped parts or plastic apparent and the barrel opens easy and smoothly without any play between it and the receiver so it’s definitely one of the nicer break actions available in the lower price range. In fact it cost me less than what a lot of folks are paying for just a barrel in 357 for a handi rifle. So far I am impressed !
I have a BRNO 110 lux that is a break action single shot rifle with figured walnut stocks and has polished bluing it is in the same class as the Henry and still in the under $ 500 price point.

Jedman

Pereira
07-05-2022, 06:35 PM
300894I just acquired a Henry H 015 that was a 357 mag that was rechambered to 35 Remington rimmed and rimless.
I have not fired it yet but I need to mount a scope on it probably a fixed 4 X and see how it shoots.
My initial impression is that it is a higher quality rifle than the H&R handi rifle or the Savage 219’s and has a nicely figured walnut stock and fit and finish is better. There are no stamped parts or plastic apparent and the barrel opens easy and smoothly without any play between it and the receiver so it’s definitely one of the nicer break actions available in the lower price range. In fact it cost me less than what a lot of folks are paying for just a barrel in 357 for a handi rifle. So far I am impressed !
I have a BRNO 110 lux that is a break action single shot rifle with figured walnut stocks and has polished bluing it is in the same class as the Henry and still in the under $ 500 price point.

Jedman

Someone mentioned a while back them having plastic trigger guards.
Is this true or false?

RP

Jedman
07-05-2022, 08:42 PM
The trigger guard appears to be some type of metal casting as well as the forend spacer. Those parts are both plastic on handi rifles.

Jedman

45-70marlin
07-06-2022, 07:28 PM
I just got one in 45-70, looks great with good trigger pull. Waiting on scope to shoot it.

budman5
07-09-2022, 03:00 PM
I use my SS chambered in 223 for reduced loads , around 22mag velocity.
Pleasant pinker and my 223 lasts along time.
My trigger could use some work, but for now it’s serviceable.
I replaced the rear sight with a skinner and a higher front site.
I’m file regulating for my reduced load.

doghawg
07-09-2022, 10:24 PM
I use my SS chambered in 223 for reduced loads ,

I do the same thing with my .223. Had a lot of Blue Dot on hand and a few hundred old 50 gr. Hornady SX's and Sierra 50's and I found a sweet spot at 2145 fps that shoots quarter sized groups at 50 yards. It makes a pleasant plinker and the bonus is that the full power 55 grainers print an inch higher at 50 and are right on at 200 yards so there's no fiddling with the 2X7 Leupold when switching between loads.

budman5
07-11-2022, 04:45 PM
Good info
I’ll use that,thanks