PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for Youth Shooting

wiljen
11-23-2008, 05:59 PM
We are trying to get more ideas together to liven up youth shooting.

We are adding things like flame shoots - 3 birthday candles in front of each kid - first one to put them all out without hitting the candles wins. (must hit wick not candle)

We are looking for more ideas to liven up airgun and 22 shoots for the kids so please if you have an idea. Let me know.

JSnover
11-23-2008, 07:54 PM
friend of mine told me he used to play a game years ago at family reunions. Instead of a conventional bullseye with scoring rings a grid pattern was drawn with numbers in each square. Basically playing darts with a .22 Couldn't shoot for the 2s without clearing the 1s first.

scb
11-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Sporting Clays mini targets hung from strings.

clodhopper
11-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Asprin tablets glued to the X ring. "The headache shoot." With cheap reactive targets. For more fun have teams of two shooters share a target. If you are useing the ten bull airgun target, glue asprins to the two center sighter bulls
and the winning team breaks them first. Cool shooters lose their heads with the race element. Choosing the kids to team up is half the fun! Tough shooting with 10 meter air gun in standing position.

Pepe Ray
11-24-2008, 03:50 AM
Wiljen
The July 1996 issue of "Women & Guns" mag. has a complete artical on just what you want. P.M. me your snail mail and I'll send you the whole mag.
Pepe Ray

JSH
11-24-2008, 09:12 AM
The IHMSA air program may be somthing of interest to you. They also have a .22 program, but that requires 100 yards.
The air program can be shot indoors year round. I would think air rifles could be incorperated to air pistol as well.

missionary5155
11-25-2008, 04:03 AM
WE used a tree with moving limbs. The limbs rotated horizontaly on the tree from one side of the trunk (a round 1/2 in steel rod) to the other with a bullet impact. The object was to shoot all the limbs (5) off your side and they would be on your opponets side. A timed event 1 minute with repeaters or 2 minutes with single shots.
Swinging targets of various shapes and sizes at various ranges.
Team shoot.... shoot down the opponets flag. Any flag attached to a 1/2 inch dowel.
Paint balls glued to paper... various colors.. some colors can be minus points shot off the opponets target. You can substitute colored ballons.

11-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Commercially available "dueling tree", water filled plastic pop bottles if the back ground and range permit, clay birds, neco waffers, almost any reactionary target gets 'em interested. Paper is for us old farts.

mold maker
11-25-2008, 04:19 PM
I like free advertisement CDs on strings.

David R
11-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Wallnuts....They work great. They fly or explode when hit. Golf balls work too, but not as reactive.

Hit between the ground and nut and see how far UP they can get them. Golf balls can be used over for this if you can find them.

Start close and keep moving them back as they master making them fly.

David :)

Bullshop
11-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Did anyone mention charcoal bricquets. They make a plesent black puff when hit solidly.
Perty cheap too.
BIC/BS

7br
11-26-2008, 12:09 AM
Generally, I am against shooting youths. However, I realize there are times that it is a whole lot more economical than feeding them. If I had a choice betwist a plague of locusts or 5 teenage boys for the weekend, I do believe I would take the locusts.

Anything that is reactive should be great. Film canisters filled with water for .22. Silhouette targets, etc. Don't over coach. Let them ask. Also, make it a social event. Make sure the screwing off is well away from the firearms and the shooting line.

Calamity Jake
11-26-2008, 04:28 PM
2X4's cut about 6" long stand these on another 2X4 laid across a couple of saw horses,
2 kids about the samd age standing side by side each with 5 targets, at the sound GO the first to knock all 5 targets down wins. Do pistols at 7 yards, rifles at 15-20 yards.
This can be a game of elimation with the winner getten a prize, or not.

NSP64
11-29-2008, 10:21 PM
We are trying to get more ideas together to liven up youth shooting.

I like to line them up from smallest to tallest then have them run in all directions.

:kidding:

Just Duke
12-03-2008, 12:01 AM
I like to line them up from smallest to tallest then have them run in all directions.

:kidding:

You don't have to lead them as far either. :kidding:

exile
12-03-2008, 01:09 AM
Although not terribly original, my vote would have to go for a Ruger single-six combined with empty pop cans full of water. Not as challenging as some of the stuff others have mentioned, but they really make a statement when hit. I say don't make it too difficult for them. I also agree that paper targets are for us old guys.

exile