PDA

View Full Version : Handles For RCBS Mould

Hondo 60
04-21-2020, 08:32 PM
I bought an RCBS Mould
https://www.opticsplanet.com/rcbs-bullet-mould-32-98-wc-445-82060.html

But I'm kinda squakin at paying another $45 for handles.
Is there a list somewhere of who's handles fit who's moulds?

I've been told that Lee handles won't fit.
What about Lyman?
Or will only RCBS handles fit?

Winger Ed.
04-21-2020, 08:35 PM
I interchange Lyman and RCBS handles,
but depending on their vintage- you may have to drill another hole for one of them or the other
to use either brand of handles with the other's molds.

I've never tried Lee handles with another mold,
but you might be able to make them work with a little bit of grinding or drilling.

Mk42gunner
04-21-2020, 08:52 PM
I too waited on buying n RCBS mold because of the cost of handles. I now have two sets of handles and three or four of their molds, good equipment.

While I haven't tried it, I do think Lee six cavity handles can be modified to work with RCBS molds. One reason Lee handles are used so much is that they are about the least expensive to buy, so you aren't out much if you totally mess them up.

Robert

seetrout
04-21-2020, 09:29 PM
I have a couple of RCBS molds, but only own Lee handles. To use with RCBS molds you will have to thin them down a bit, either a LOT of work with a file or a little bit with a grinder. Try to not make them any thinner than necessary to fit the slots without being tight.

jaysouth
04-21-2020, 09:40 PM
On this very day, while my grand daughter was mowing the lawn, I used an angle grinder from harbor freight to grind down a set of lee handles to fit my new to me RCBS 180FP. Took 4.5 minutes with a worn disc.

To paraphrase a machinist friend, If you have to file down something, defile the least expensive part.

Winger Ed.
04-21-2020, 10:10 PM
To paraphrase a machinist friend, If you have to file down something, defile the least expensive part.

What I used to try and teach the young kids in our shop:

No matter what the task-
ALWAYS use the largest power tool available.

jaysouth
04-21-2020, 11:23 PM
What I used to try and teach the young kids in our shop:

No matter what the task-
ALWAYS use the largest power tool available.

AND the biggest hammer

Winger Ed.
04-21-2020, 11:44 PM
AND the biggest hammer

I refer to those as a 'redneck speed wrench'.

unclemikeinct
04-21-2020, 11:54 PM
I have a couple of RCBS molds, but only own Lee handles. To use with RCBS molds you will have to thin them down a bit, either a LOT of work with a file or a little bit with a grinder. Try to not make them any thinner than necessary to fit the slots without being tight.

I use a 1 x 42 belt grinder on the Lee Handles. Works like a charm. uncle mike

blikseme300
04-22-2020, 02:40 PM
It is very easy to cut down the Lee handles using a milling machine to fit the RCBS or Lyman molds. A grinder/sander/files could be used as well but requires more effort.

MGySgt
04-22-2020, 06:14 PM
I even used a pair of the Lee handles of my Lyman 4 cavity molds. Just thinned them down on my belt sander. They work great. I hated those nut cracker handles Lyman sells for them.

Ed_Shot
04-22-2020, 06:32 PM
For my one and only RCBS mold Lee handles almost fit. My dremel tool followed by a file did the trick in short order.

smithnframe
04-22-2020, 06:34 PM
I just bought a Lee set and they fit both my Lyman and RCBS moulds!

jimkim
04-22-2020, 06:42 PM
I use Lee two cavity mould handles with RCBS mould. I only have one, and until I buy several more this will work.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

toallmy
04-23-2020, 05:51 AM
Well I'm on the other side of that sort problem , I ran across 2 sets of RCBS handles used , when I needed 1 set but I figured with shipping I might as well get both . So now I'm going to have to get another mold . It's a vicious cycle ......

lightman
04-23-2020, 09:03 AM
Midway runs them on sale every so often. They are still expensive but I prefer them to others. I use Lee on my Accurate molds and have had to work on a few of them. One pair came with the business end out of alignment and I had to straighten them. I ended up pinning the wooden handles on another set. Neither was a big deal and they are priced at about 30% of RCBS.

Huskerguy
04-23-2020, 09:57 AM
I have an RCBS mold and like others didn't want to spend all my money on handles. Yep, the Lee handles are cheaper made and less expensive but overall work very well. Go price a SAECO handle!

I have an advantage and took the mold and handles to the machine tool program at a college I formerly was the director of. He did a nice job of milling them down and put a very bluing on them to boot. Now that I see what he did, I could do it with basic tools.

bedbugbilly
04-23-2020, 10:20 AM
I was in the same predicament a couple of years ago - after casting for over 50 years, I picked picked up a couple of used but like new RCBS - only to find out that none of my collection of handles would fit. I finally found a set of used handles on evil bay - keep your eyes open there as they do come up once in a while or make a post for a pair in the WTS/WTS section - someone may have a pair they don't need.

dh2
04-23-2020, 11:04 AM
in my beginning to casting I started out buying a set of mold handle for every brand of mold that I purchased. I ended up with RCBS, Lyman, Lee, NOE and MP to find out Lyman handles are a bit thicker and I use them only on Lyman molds every thing else I use RCBS handles .
And trying to get the molds that I wanted I bought some bundles from swap and sale on this sight and estate sales as well as other sights.
In the end I have molds I love that have not been made since 1970, and no shortage of handles,
The bad part of all of this I just came home from the hospital yesterday, I will not get out to the post office being I am at high risk for CV19
But I have plenty of RCBS handles I would be easy talked out of.