PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar and peroxide. Question.

BigAlofPa.
04-21-2020, 03:18 PM
I was wondering if putting a soaked cloth. In the bore to help with lead removal would work. I don't like the idea of putting the whole barrel in the solution. Especially a wheel gun barrel.

jdfoxinc
04-21-2020, 03:58 PM
Don't know about lead but it will dissolve copper.

Outpost75
04-21-2020, 04:13 PM
It will also rust your barrel. Lewis Lead Remover and Kano Kroil is MUCH safer!!!!

BigAlofPa.
04-21-2020, 04:23 PM
I like the kroil too. Along with copper wool. Just was looking for short cut. I sure don't want to rust the bore.

Outpost75
04-21-2020, 04:41 PM
I like the kroil too. Along with copper wool. Just was looking for short cut. I sure don't want to rust the bore.

Important thing is to determine why your loads are leading? Correct revolver loads should not lead the bore or cylinder throats, even in full magnum loads. Most of the time when people experience leading it is because their bullets do not fit the cylinder throats, and/or their alloy is too hard to upset and create a positive gas seal in the cylinder throats, and/or their lube is too hard and is unable to flow under pressure to coat the bore and provide boundary-layer lubrication.

Keith did the great majority of his load development with 1 to 16 or 1 to 20 tin-lead.

A soft lubricant such as the NRA formula 50-50 Alox-Beeswax, or a 1 to 3 blend of either ATF, canola or olive oil and beeswax is simple, inexpensive and works well for the great majority of handgun loads.

If you use hard-cast, commercial bullets which are almost always undersized, too hard and have hard lube on them, you have a textbook recipe for leading. There are commercial casters such as Matt's and Hunter's Supply which produce bullets of correct hardness and diameter with a suitable lube which works.

BigAlofPa.
04-21-2020, 05:13 PM
It's from loads i have with Tight group. Im slowly getting them used up. I have changed to sport pistol. Those loads do not lead up. If it was only a few i would just pull them and reload with sport pistol. But i have a few hundred in 9mm and 380.

poppy42
04-21-2020, 05:25 PM
I’ve used peroxide and vinegar 50-50 solution as a lead remover several times. It works real well! I cleaned a 30 year old lead pot that was in real bad shape before and like brand new after. I put a cast boolet in some solution and let it sit for about an hour. When I checked on it the only thing that was left was whatever was in wheel weights and not lead. I was amazed! The only time I actually had to use it on a gun that was badly lead it was one that I picked up used I don’t know how a rag soaked would do but what I did was put a cork in one end and fill the barrel with the solution being careful not to get any on the finish( i’m not sure what it would do to bluing). After 20 minutes cleaning the boar was a breeze. Like I said I don’t know what it would do to a finish( and I don’t want to find out). It works real good. Just be careful. Hey do like I did, do a test. Drop a cast boolet in some solution and see for your self! I’ve never left anything of value in solution for more than 20 minutes. If it needed more after cleaning I just repeated the process! After it was clean I rinsed the bore with fresh water. If you decide to give it a try keep us posted. Heck send me a pm with the results. I’m Curious as to weather or not others have the same results that did.

BigAlofPa.
04-21-2020, 05:58 PM
I had success using it on muzzle brakes. And they did not rust. I oiled them after cleaning.

Shawlerbrook
04-21-2020, 07:27 PM
Ditto on Lewis Lead remover and Kroil.

KCSO
04-21-2020, 07:35 PM
Vinegar will remove bluing on the gun if it is blue finish. Peroxide will go into the pores of the metal and will ne a lot of follow up to prevent rust. I much prefer Ed's Red and a Lewis lead remover.

djryan13
04-21-2020, 07:56 PM
Please handle it safely and don’t just pour down the drain. Our kids are stupid enough. We don’t want them to get worse.

Wayne Smith
04-21-2020, 08:06 PM
You are creating a lead oxide that will absorb through the skin - be very careful handling it and wear waterproof gauntlets preferably, just as if you were handling acid.

BigAlofPa.
04-21-2020, 08:58 PM
Ok im going to skip the idea. I found this. http://www.texas-mac.com/Warning_Hydrogen_Peroxide_and_Vinegar_Will_Etch_Bo res.html

I'll stick with kroil and copper wool and elbow grease. Also don't like that it becomes a hazmat issue too. Thanks for all the replies folks.

LAGS
04-22-2020, 11:13 AM
Before you disposre of vinegar / peroxide or muretic acid mixes or compounds ,
Add baking soda to neutralize the acid in them.
And add lots of water.

waksupi
04-22-2020, 11:17 AM
Don't leave it in a barrel long. I use that as an etching solution.