PDA

View Full Version : Boolit sizing

Gundogblue
04-21-2020, 09:00 AM
Good morning all,
I just read something that while interesting is hard for me to believe, I’ve always sized my boolit for two reasons. First to get the boolit diameter you want, and second to make sure the boolit is perfectly round. Well I just read an article that said if your boolit drop out of the mould with the correct boolit diameter then there’s no need to size them, just tumble lube them and load them. Is this true?
Thanks
Paul

rancher1913
04-21-2020, 09:06 AM
yes, thats why modern molds have several different sizes of the same boolit and specify the drooped sizes with a certain alloy.

Bad Ass Wallace
04-21-2020, 09:36 AM
My PGT mould drops boolits of 0.360" dia and are shot without sizing

https://i.imgur.com/d1Kscgkl.jpg

charlie b
04-21-2020, 09:45 AM
Yep. Lee specifically designed his molds so they could be used without sizing. I cast and fired many thousands of bullets through my pistols without sizing. Pan lube, load and shoot.

These days I cast only for my rifles and I use gas checks. So, I run through the sizer to seat the check and size the bullet to the exact dia I want based on measurement of the bore.

Nobade
04-21-2020, 09:48 AM
Especially in handguns. If it will chamber it will usually shoot just fine, often better than being sized to the "correct" diameter.

nvbirdman
04-21-2020, 11:03 AM
If it's not round when it goes into the barrel, it'll be round when it comes out.

mdi
04-21-2020, 11:38 AM
Yep, as most fellers said; shoot as cast. I think a lot of concern runs around "too big" bullets. In revolvers, the bullet diameter is determined by the cylinder throats, so "too big" is remedied when fired. Many chase .002" over groove diameter as perfect cast bullet diameter. But on a few occasions, in different texts, I have read of Schutzen Shooters using bullets up to .006"-.008" over groove diameter.

MT Gianni
04-21-2020, 11:48 AM
You can do either. Sizing tells me a lot about my castings and technique. It also gives me confidence in shooting uniform bullets.

Bazoo
04-21-2020, 12:08 PM
I've found one reason to size is that there will be an occasional bullet that is a few thousands oversize. Probably from not getting the mould closed all the way, but possibly from temperature variation. I don't like finding that one bullet that won't chamber when I'm shooting. I spose one answer is to use a cartridge check gage.

Golfswithwolves
04-21-2020, 01:20 PM
Mr. Gundogblue- I hate to contemplate eliminating the sizing step. My Lube-a-matic machine is my favorite device for loading; one lever pull up and down and the bullet is just the size I want and is lubricated. It is a satisfying job for me and I don't care to get rid of it. (This is not to say that other methods don't work well however)

fredj338
04-21-2020, 01:28 PM
Good morning all,
I just read something that while interesting is hard for me to believe, I’ve always sized my boolit for two reasons. First to get the boolit diameter you want, and second to make sure the boolit is perfectly round. Well I just read an article that said if your boolit drop out of the mould with the correct boolit diameter then there’s no need to size them, just tumble lube them and load them. Is this true?
Thanks
Paul
Sure except that almost never happens. I size because I load in mixed brass for handguns. having the same size helps me eliminate issues.

Jniedbalski
04-21-2020, 01:46 PM
I like to shoot unsized bullets. One less step in reloading. If they fit the chamber not sized then I shoot them. I size for my 32 acp to .311 because it has a tight chamber and my lee molds drop at .3145. Also all my 9mm like .358 + two are a Spanish star and a Bretta 92fs . My high point won’t close on anything bigger than .357.

Rizzo
04-21-2020, 05:40 PM
Consistency of having all of the bullets the same size is why I size.
I use a RCBS Lube-A-Matic which sizes and lubes at the same time so that is what I use now.

Reducing any variables helps accuracy, especially with rifle shooting.
That is why I do not use the Lee Dippers for powder measuring that come with their dies either.

WRideout
04-21-2020, 07:46 PM
I started loading for my little 25 auto a few months ago, after some advice from forum members. I load the Lyman 252435 as cast, tumble lubed with Ben's liquid lube. I use the Lee dipper that came with the dies to load 1.4 gr unique, which is the only load I have used so far. It runs like a champ, and I don't even know the bore diameter of my Galesi pistol, and don't care. Not to dispute Rizzo; this is a seven yard pistol.

Wayne

Gundogblue
04-22-2020, 06:52 AM
Thanks for all the info, this forum should be called cast boolits school:) I was just curious, I use NOE boolit sizers cuz I don’t think my casting skills are to the point that I can cast the exact same size boolit every time. I have an NOE mould that supposed to drop a .434 boolit, but most are .435-.436, and the bore diameter of my 1894 Marin slugged out to . 431 so I size them to .433. But im gonna try it with my .45 Colt cawboy gun. I have my dads old Lyman mould .454190, and all most always it drops a slightly under sized boolit, it may just work like a champ for that gun.
Thanks,
Paul