PDA

View Full Version : Got a Problemq

Dorf
12-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Hello, I'm New here and I got a problem and I hope someone here can provide some help. It's a .45 Auto that is leading on me at MV of 750 fps. I'm using a commercially cast 230 gr soft plain based lead bullet fired through a very old and worn GI barrel that slugs @ .450" but shows a lot of erosion in the throat area. The boolets mike out @ .451" (I'm using a dial caliper so can't read closer than .0005"). My question(s) are: (1) is the leading due to " blow by" due to the boolet/bore size relationship (2) barrel wear / erosion (3) soft boolet material (4) lube failure or (5) "all of the above"? I also note that my measured MV's are WAY below what the loading manuals say I should be getting-- in other words, I have to really have to bump the powder charges up above what my manuals say I should be using to get the stated velocities. Any and all comments/ suggestions will be appreciated. THX.

David R
12-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Its possible you need to up the charge to make the boolit fill the barrel. Is the barrel smooth? Does the leading start right at the rough chamber?

I would try a "standard" 45 load and check again for leading. Even commerical boolits should not lead in a 45.

Usually barrels lead from too small of a boolit, but you seem to have that problem eliminated.

45 barrels are dirt cheap. Match grade ones are not even that much.

David

SharpsShooter
12-19-2005, 09:53 PM
My initial impression is that you are using super soft swaged boolits. I've not had good luck with those in my 1911. The poor bore condition will contribute to leading in any application. The low velocity for a 230gr cast is correct in my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Top end loads are around 950fps and starting velocities run around 675fps and up. You don't mention the load you are using, so I couldn't say if the velocity is correct on not. If you could recover a slug or two, it would show you a lot. I would try a hard cast .452 diameter with Unique or Bullseye.

BTW Welcome to the board

:coffeecom

Dorf
12-19-2005, 09:58 PM
David, I'm planning on replacing the barrel with one of Sarco's "Roto-Hammered" units shortly after Christmas. Also have a new Lee mould and .452 sizer die ordered for the old Lyman 45 size/lube machine. Having said all this, I have bumped the loads (6.2 gr ww231) and finally got to 850 fps which I should have been getting with 5.8 gr (per Hornady). Unique was also unsat-- which I attribute to being much slower on the pressure peak.
I haven't tried commercial loads-- yet. I'm really hoping that the home rolled wheelweight boolets will cure the problem (along with a new barrel). In any event, thx for the help.