PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand and pulled cartridges

7br
04-20-2020, 10:50 PM
I had to pulled the bullets from some loads for my Garand. About 25 loads left the gas check in the neck. The powder is still behind the check. I have tried to turn the check and pull them out with needle nose pliers, but I usually drive them down in the case. I am thinking about shootings them out. I will run a rod down the barrel after each shot. Any warnings or other ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

garandsrus
04-20-2020, 11:30 PM
I just toss the brass when I pull the bullet and the gas check stays in the case, which is just about every time. Not worth the hassle to try and get the gas check out, especially something common like 30-06.

Unless the load isn’t safe, It’s a lot easier to shoot the loaded round to reclaim the brass.

Walks
04-21-2020, 12:54 AM
I haven't had a Gas Check stay in the case neck since I switched to crimp-on GC's.

I used to used a small screwdriver and a tiny hammer. Slide screwdriver down one side of the case neck. A gentle tap would turn the GC in the neck. Then just pull out with narrow needle nose pliers.
Destroys the check, but saves everything else.

FLINTNFIRE
04-21-2020, 12:56 AM
Yeah the needle nose and such will work I myself do not toss good brass or waste powder , if you have so much common brass you can throw it my way , I tend to accumulate brass as I am not sure what to much is

Winger Ed.
04-21-2020, 01:21 AM
You might be able to slightly squeeze the case neck.
Flip the gas check sideways, then pull it out with needle nose pliers if it doesn't drop out.

Don't squeeze the neck so much it won't go back in a sizing die.
The check is probably a goner, but ya should be able to save the brass.

frkelly74
04-21-2020, 04:08 AM
I have a pair of forceps to reach in and grab gas check after turning them sideways in the neck. If they go down into the case just shake the powder out and save it and then grab the check.

Dan Cash
04-21-2020, 08:54 AM
Push the check into the case, shake powder out. If you can't get hold of the check with pliers or forceps, run the case through a sizing/decapping die. The decapping pin will pierce the check and pull it out.

Mike H
04-22-2020, 06:12 PM
Expand the neck to a greater diameter,the gas check will then fall out.

7br
04-23-2020, 01:23 PM
Expand the neck to a greater diameter,the gas check will then fall out.Will see if a fat 30 will be enough tomorrow.

WRideout
04-28-2020, 11:09 AM
I had to pulled the bullets from some loads for my Garand. About 25 loads left the gas check in the neck. The powder is still behind the check. I have tried to turn the check and pull them out with needle nose pliers, but I usually drive them down in the case. I am thinking about shootings them out. I will run a rod down the barrel after each shot. Any warnings or other ideas?

I found this homemade device to work exceedingly well. Push the GC in so it's loose in the case, stick the hooked end in, twist the wire as you pull out. They pop out effortlessly.

Wayne

Adam Helmer
04-28-2020, 11:38 AM

7br,

I am not clear WHY you "had to pulled the bullets?" Please elaborate.

Be Well.

Adam

Jjed
04-28-2020, 01:44 PM
I used a pair hemostat's to get stuck GC's out

Win94ae
04-28-2020, 06:30 PM
with needle nose pliers, but I usually drive them down in the case.

So now you are halfway there. Dump the powder into a container, then use the needle nose to pull the gas check out.
That is my first step, to drive the gas check passed the neck. I use forceps.

Whoops, Dan Cash beat me to it.