PDA

View Full Version : nobody said I was smart

schreibwy
11-23-2008, 01:59 PM
I learned a couple of lessons the other day from my Marlin 1895 CP: 1. clean the magazine tube once in a while and 2. pay attention ******.

I went to the range to try bullets from my new RD mold (they shoot fine). The rifle was unloaded and opened as I took it up to the bench. When I laid it down I noticed that there was a shell in the carrier and wondered where that came from. I closed the gun, rested the but on my thing, and looked in the loading gate. Since I had been using LLA lube for the last couple of years I guess I gummed up my magazine tube because I could see the orange follower in the loading gate. Of course, this isn't a problem when hunting since the recoil will keep the cartridges moving on down the line. Good thinking, I thought, and then I brushed the trigger. They bullet shot straight up into the sky and the butt stomped down on my thigh. For a second I wondered if this thump could break a leg it hurt so bad. Lesson #3. never pack away a heating pad and forget where it's at.

schreibwy
11-23-2008, 02:01 PM
I should have written I COULD NOT see the orange follower.
Nobody said I was a good editor either.

Calamity Jake
11-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Your first mistake was not clearing the gun and making sure it was NOT loaded, the second was NOT keeping your finger off of the trigger.
Your LUCKY!!! this time!!!!!

Sprue
11-23-2008, 03:32 PM
I learned a couple of lessons the other day from my Marlin 1895 CP: 1. clean the magazine tube once in a while and 2. pay attention ******.

I went to the range to try bullets from my new RD mold (they shoot fine). The rifle was unloaded and opened as I took it up to the bench. When I laid it down I noticed that there was a shell in the carrier and wondered where that came from. I closed the gun, rested the but on my thing, and looked in the loading gate. Since I had been using LLA lube for the last couple of years I guess I gummed up my magazine tube because I could see the orange follower in the loading gate. Of course, this isn't a problem when hunting since the recoil will keep the cartridges moving on down the line. Good thinking, I thought, and then I brushed the trigger. They bullet shot straight up into the sky and the butt stomped down on my thigh. For a second I wondered if this thump could break a leg it hurt so bad. Lesson #3. never pack away a heating pad and forget where it's at.

Add #4: Never: rest the but on your thing !

Yes sir, you were very luck to say the least.

JSnover
11-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Add #4: Never: rest the but on your thing !

Yes sir, you were very luck to say the least.

Goddamned TOUGH is what I'd call him! :eek:

Bigjohn
11-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Almost brings a tear to my eyes just thinking about it. :twisted:

But someone elses pain can be a lesson to us all. At present, I don't have any tube magazined rifles but I will file this piece of info away for future reference.

John.

11-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Of all the safety mistakes (that thing thing not withstanding), he did the very first and most important thing of all. It was pointed in a safe direction. I bet that got your blood pumpin' !!!