PDA

View Full Version : got a new reacher /grabber today

country gent
04-20-2020, 04:03 PM
Today I got a new reacher grabber from Home Depot. It a Unger. Jaws are at about a 45* angle to the shaft squeeze grip with a under lever and the one jaw has a rare earth magnet in it. 3 ft length. Really seems comfortable to use. Picked up some odds and ends with it. Could get washers and nuts with jaws or magnet. Same with screws. the magnet was strong enough to pick up my 6" combination square. These make it mush easier for me than getting up from my chair. SHould work well for picking up brass. and dropped items.

All metal construction except for the handle and lever. Gripper jaws are around .090 thick and rubber covered. Its a nice tool. After some use I may put a post on the shaft to keep it in a stake pocket on my Trac chair.

I normally use one with a d type grip in the 36" length. They work good but the straight jaws make them a little harder to use.

If bending or reaching is an issue for you give these a look. Not sure where they were actually made. And they are a little more expensive than some others.

James Wisner
04-20-2020, 04:06 PM
Yes they come in very handy.
I also have a Unger, but with the tongs straight off the end, and they can rotate vs the grip handle lever.
Been using it best part of 3 years now, need to get a couple more to leave in different areas, like House, Shop, Storage area

J Wisner

country gent
04-20-2020, 04:18 PM
I have them in kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom, shop and garage. My problem is when the grandsons come over they seem to disappear. LOL.

When I built the new garage I had the chain fall openers put on the doors so I didnt have to bend over in the chair to open them.

Duckiller
04-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Unger also makes a grabber that is about 18" long that my wife found to be really handy. Could only get it directly from Unger.

RoyEllis
04-20-2020, 05:41 PM
Shoulda known by "no pics"....I thought it was gonna be about a new grandchild. Those being the most common "reacher/grabber things".

MrWolf
04-20-2020, 08:24 PM
I like the idea of a magnet. One I got after my back surgery had those two suction cup type ends.

country gent
04-20-2020, 09:42 PM
These have a rubber jaw thats toothed about 3/4" long on the end with" "teeth" or grooves and a radius above. I could pick up flat washers ( my one 6" scale that has a bow to it was also able to be picked up with the jaws or the magnet). I could pick up form a 1/2" flat washer to a 20 bottle of pop. A box of 50 1/2" nuts was harder as the weight and box wanting to collapse.

It appears that the mechanism isnt a cam type but a rack and pinion gear set up. It works good so far.

lightman
04-21-2020, 07:48 AM
I need to buy me something like that. How does it work on something like a 9mm case laying in gravel?

jdfoxinc
04-21-2020, 10:11 AM
What is the model number?

country gent
04-21-2020, 10:31 AM
Lightman, I dont think even 22 cases will be to hard for it. Depending on gravel coarse gravel with larger opening maybe. It really does good so far.

jdfoxinc, The only number I see is what I assume to be home depots part number 92134 on their bar code sticker. Its made by unger.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-21-2020, 11:01 AM
What is the model number?

it appears to be called "Unger, 36 in. Nifty Nabber Trash Picker Grabber"

jdfoxinc
04-21-2020, 01:04 PM
Thanks 921st 4 is the model #. Found it.

lightman
04-22-2020, 07:36 AM
Lightman, I dont think even 22 cases will be to hard for it. Depending on gravel coarse gravel with larger opening maybe. It really does good so far.

jdfoxinc, The only number I see is what I assume to be home depots part number 92134 on their bar code sticker. Its made by unger.

Thanks! I'll go look at them whenever things start to open up again. I can't resist picking up brass but I almost can't do it anymore.

country gent
04-22-2020, 10:16 PM
Ive been using mine for several days now and it just seems better and better.

Chad5005
04-22-2020, 11:19 PM
my wife ordered me a set tonight,ive got a few others but I think the magnet will work out nice