PDA

View Full Version : Question w/ Boolit Pics

3GRacing
04-20-2020, 12:59 PM
What we got here is 3 240gr .429 cast (approx. 12 BH) and coated with Smokes Car. Blue fired from a 5" bbl and recovered after a snow melt. I noticed the pentagonal shape at the based and because the points of the pentagon coincide with the grooves, while the sides of the pentagon coincide the lands of the barrel, I'm assuming I can size these smaller. I've only been casting a 1+ yrs. so I ask- should I size them smaller? They were very accurate after I worked up the load and don't like to fix something that ain't broke.

260753 260754

NoZombies
04-20-2020, 01:38 PM
If they chamber, and are accurate, then I can't imagine sizing them smaller would do anything to improve the situation.

3GRacing
04-20-2020, 01:51 PM
Thx NZ, wondering more if this isn't an indicator of a too tight fit.

mattw
04-20-2020, 01:55 PM
How do they fit the cylinders? They look like they could be a tad oversized, but if they shoot well, do not lead and do not over pressure... I do not think I would worry about them.

NoZombies
04-20-2020, 03:02 PM

If they fit the chamber and shoot well, unless there are other problems that aren't being mentioned, "too tight" is very unlikely to be a problem. If the bullet is lead, and it will fit the chamber, I'd much rather have the forcing cone do the sizing.

What are you hoping to change by sizing them smaller?

JeffG
04-20-2020, 03:18 PM
All my bullets are sized to be at least .001 to.002 over grove diameter. If this is revolver, size to throat diameter. If they are not leading, are accurate, etc., you have perfection. As another noted, what are you hoping to solve by sizing smaller. That is typically the path to problems because you start introducing gas cutting, tumbling, poor accuracy, etc., because too small diameter.

3GRacing
04-20-2020, 04:45 PM
NZ- Sizing them smaller- thinking they would come out of a round barrel not shaped like a pentagon and most likely get an increase in fps. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking too improve this load, only to find if I'm on the wrong side of a safety issue. and-
JG- This is what made me ask here- I too try to size my rifles .002 over and that has worked well for me.
mw- Yes pressure is a key word here, hence my ques.... ...and good suggestion- look for leading (if they weren't powder coated).

NoZombies
04-20-2020, 06:08 PM
I assume it's a S&W revolver made in the last few decades? If so, the bore isn't round. Your FPS won't increase very much by sizing smaller, but you are likely to reduce accuracy, end up with leading or polymer fouling.

Conditor22
04-20-2020, 07:56 PM
It ain't broke ---- don't fix it.

IF your curious and NEED TO KNOW size a few smaller (IF you have the sizing die) I wouldn't waste $ on a new die.

BUT

Larry Gibson said some revolvers like the boolit to be the same diameter as the bore. who am I to argue with him.

charlie b
04-21-2020, 10:20 AM
You can go ahead and size some a bit smaller and see what happens. It is just another aspect of casting and reloading that we can play with. Next time size one batch at current dimension and another batch slightly smaller. Record group sizes and velocity (if you have a chronograph). If you can clean barrel in between batches and note any change in fouling. Report back here with the results if you do.

When I look for oversize I look at the grooves and base of recovered bullets. If the base looks 'cupped' then they are oversize and need to be reduced. Same if the grooves look almost filled in. Yours look just about right. The grooves and lands seem to be making good contact, base still seems flat and bullet shaped looks like it should.

charlie

mdi
04-21-2020, 12:00 PM
You mentioned the bullets are ,429". Are you shooting 44-40? A bullet running .429" is already on the small size for a 44 Special or 44 Magnum, even with gas checks...

fredj338
04-21-2020, 01:30 PM
I don't think that is even possible. Better 0.001" to large than 0.001" too small.