PDA

View Full Version : 99 savage screw ,, HELP!!!

Hootmix
04-20-2020, 08:02 AM
Tried to order a " spindle head screw " & guess what ?? ,, They ( and others ) are shut down by the virus ,, too. So if anyone w/ a 99-A ( actually same screw ) would be willing to give me the dia. - length - and thread pitch of this screw I sure would appreciate it. I have a mini lathe and make a lot of small parts for my ( and others ) own guns. The broken drill bit some one stuck in the hole ,, worked for them ( when in a bind ? ) but really needs to be corrected , and the brass carrier has some deep gouges ( I can buff out ),, nice little rifle ,, 22HP . ( It belonged to her Dad - passed ).

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

ndnchf
04-20-2020, 01:17 PM
Do you know about Sam Simmons? He makes gunscrews for all kinds of antique guns. Makes custom screws too. He lists a lot on ebay. Great guy to work with. His username there is hoxycarman870. Email is hoxycarman@hotmail.com

Hootmix
04-20-2020, 03:31 PM
Many thanks ndnchf .

Bushrat
04-20-2020, 07:25 PM
Lots of that stuff on e bay, check on the savage collectors forum.o

Norske
04-21-2020, 10:19 AM
There are some odd screws in Savage 99's. What was a standard thread in 1899 may not be so standard anymore. My gunsmith became quite vocal about the long screw that holds the butt to the receiver. It's odd.

gnoahhh
04-21-2020, 11:41 AM
The stock screw was really the only screw that changed on 1899's and 99's over the years, and there's only two basic lengths at that.

The OP's screw was constant. Pulling the screw out to measure it is kind of a pain in the butt- not many relish the thought of re-timing/tensioning their rotors afterwards. I would issue a plea for a screw on the Savage collector's forum. Someone will likely just send you one. Out of all the spare bits I have on hand, sadly I don't have one of those screws or I too would just send it to you. Ebay is another source.

wonderwolf
04-21-2020, 12:44 PM
I may have those dimensions in the encyclopedia of modern firearms from brownells....I'll look when I get home

Hootmix
04-21-2020, 05:36 PM
Hey " YA'LL,, got it,, took awhile to do some measuring & math ( thank you teachers ) , got on the mini lathe ( 2 try's ) ,, 10x 24 ( .180+ - at the screw part ) and .125 dia. shaft , cut mine a little long so I could file down for final fit,, heat treaded ,dipped in oil didn't want it too hard.
Thanks to all for your input.

wonderwolf
04-21-2020, 05:52 PM
Hey " YA'LL,, got it,, took awhile to do some measuring & math ( thank you teachers ) , got on the mini lathe ( 2 try's ) ,, 10x 24 ( .180+ - at the screw part ) and .125 dia. shaft , cut mine a little long so I could file down for final fit,, heat treaded ,dipped in oil didn't want it too hard.
Thanks to all for your input.

No offense but why heat treated? I was always under the impression screws are consumable and shouldn't be heat treated so they can't prematurly wear the parts they are used on (mostly thread wear I guess?)

Hootmix
04-21-2020, 10:11 PM
Hey wonder ,, the rod I used is pretty soft,, and I really just heated the screw part to better withstand ,, "the wrong size screw driver " ,, if ya know what I mean. I told them " DO NOT mess w/ this screw " it is set . ( we'll see ? )

M-Tecs
04-21-2020, 10:31 PM
No offense but why heat treated? I was always under the impression screws are consumable and shouldn't be heat treated so they can't prematurly wear the parts they are used on (mostly thread wear I guess?)

Screws, nuts and bolts are graded per heat treatment and strength. Non-graded screws are the cheapest and for low strength applications. Been in the manufacturing business for close to 40 years and that is a new one one me.

Basic grading here.

https://www.fastenermart.com/understanding-fastener-grades-and-classes.html

https://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/screws/grades

M-Tecs
04-21-2020, 10:33 PM
Jack First should be open if you want an OEM one.

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify.com/collections/savage-99-lever-rifle

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify.com/collections/savage-99-lever-rifle/products/savage-99-carrier-spindle-head-screw-120-diam-post-579-99h-437