PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks and powder coating

Wolfdog91
04-19-2020, 07:19 PM
Ok so I'm been doing research but I'm still kinda ignorant to alot of casting stuff ( only thing I'm casting right now is fishing weights to make money for actual bully casting gear lol ) . Anyhow I've noticed alot if people power coating don't seem to be using gas checks in their bullets ( boolits ?). Is that standard practice or does it depend on caliber and velocity?

zymguy
04-19-2020, 07:31 PM
Someone smarter than I will hopefully answer here. But My experience is that it is still about caliber and velocity or pressure. An argument is made I i subscribe , that if all other things are equal you can go a little higher with a powder coated boolit than a more traditionally lubed boolit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waco
04-19-2020, 09:33 PM
It all depends. Try it both ways and see what works for YOU in YOUR guns. No hard and fast rules. I just worked up a load in .223 for my AR-15 with the Lee 55gr RNFP with no gas check, powder coated, and sized to .225" at 2050fps. Great accuracy and no leading. YMMV.

charlie b
04-19-2020, 10:25 PM
Yes, you do not need gas checks to prevent leading if you powder coat. BUT...if the bullet is shaped to take a gas check then they are more accurate (most of the time) with a gas check. The gas check provides a better base for accuracy than the stepped base.

If you don't want to use gas checks then get a mold that is plain base and powder coat it. Will be good for over 2000fps without leading.

Most of my cast bullets are for my .308 rifle. They are gas check style bullets so I install the gas checks, usually before powder coating. Then coat and size again before loading.

44Blam
04-19-2020, 10:30 PM
I put gas checks on my gas check boolits. I also powder coat all my boolits. It's very cheap and easy to get into and it is less messy than lube.

You can also do fun things like this:

But I woud imagine that you could shoot a gc design without a gas check but you probably need to work the speed/pressure up to see where you have good accuracy.

zymguy
04-19-2020, 10:42 PM
Anyhow I've noticed alot if people power coating don't seem to be using gas checks in their bullets ( boolits ?). Is that standard practice or does it depend on caliber and velocity?

I see two questions here . To answer the first a boolit is made bullets are purchased [emoji16]
Caliber and velocity always matter.
Start with a project and work backwards.
What gun or caliber would you like to shoot first ? Then look into what alloy you can make or buy and choose a mould . There are three common options for lube , the classic takes setting in pans and cutting out OR a piece of equipment. Tumble lube doesn’t take much equipment depending on how cool some of your roommates are about melting and or mixing things in the kitchen.
When I started from no equipment I chose to go powder coating . I’ve bought some mesh screen / hardware cloth and a toaster oven ( <50 ) I think the lee size dies I use should be counted in the cost of powder coating equipment but the argument could easily be made it is also necessary for tumble lube

Soo, what are we looking to shoot ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk